86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine builders for 22re, who to use

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine builders for 22re, who to use

This morning while headed home my 90 pickup developed a rattle, then a knock and finally threw the #4 rod through the side of the block. I believe it started with a dropped valve (the exhaust manifold was glowing at 3 and 4), and ended with a chunk of the valve blocking the piston and breaking the rod cap bolts. So, I need to find a replacement engine.

This truck is not in bad shape, very little rust and few mechanical problems (until today), so I just can't see scrapping it. I also don't want to go to the trouble of installing a used engine because I won't know how long it will last or how it has been treated. So, I'm thinking I want to find a reputable builder that isn't too expensive, any suggestions?

My 90 has a 22re, upgraded engnbldr cam, and had 222k on it when this happened. I want to swap in a new engine, replace the cat and exhaust (this needed doing anyway), and try to get a few hundred thousand more miles out of it. In reality I am thinking of turning this truck over to my son and picking me up a 1st gen 4Runner, giving him a reliable vehicle as he prepares to graduate and giving me the 4 Runner I really wanted when I bought this truck.

So, who rebuilds 22re's for a decent rate? Who would you avoid? Does anyone build them with upgraded cams? Is there another option I am overlooking?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Find someone local to you so they can are convenient for warrantee.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM

I considered that, but none of the local builders are really trustworthy. While the warranty being close is and advantage, that advantage goes away after the first time you have to pull an engine again. I will check around, but I would really like to find someone that does them regularly and has one in stock. Most local rebuilders are going to need me to buy an engine that can then be rebuilt, since my block is no longer usable:

Name:  Toyota_Engine_zps386b53b3.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  64.3 KB

That is my #4 connecting rod sticking out of the side of the block, there is no rebuilding this thing. I had hoped that much like GM and Ford, there would be some builders that were reliable building these engines. If not I may just have to junk it because I'm not going through the trouble of replacing an engine just to have to do it again.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have bought 2 motors from these guys and know of 2 other motors used by them and have been great. http://unitedengine.com/

I have rebuilt 2 motors as well and with everything that is suggested to do, it is about as cheap to just by one in my opinion.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 PM

I will check with them, thanks Terry.

I'm open to all suggestions, just limited on time because we rely on this truck to get me to work while leaving my Durango home for my wife to get to work. Right now we are really struggling with one vehicle.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The first one I bought, they waived the core and with shipping and tax it was $1100ish the second one I bought, I had to pay a core, tax and shipping and it was in the neighbor hood of $1400 if I recall right.

They require a loading dock to ship it to. Your local parts store qualifies as a loading dock and if you have a good relationship with your local parts store. I am very happy with their service and motor. To have a motor rebuilt either having it done or doing it yourself takes a lot of time. It took about a week for me to receive my motors, give or take a day or two.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:34 PM

Yeah, it may end up that I just jump in head first and pick up a 4 Runner if I can swing the cash. A week isn't a huge issue, but I just need to make sure I have the cash. My wife and I can work out getting her to work, since she is only a mile away, but I hate putting all these miles on my Durango. Oh well, just the way my luck seems to be going right now.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got mine from Sunwest Automotive (http://www.sunwestautomotiveengines.com/)

almost 50k miles on it so far.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xylicon
I got mine from Sunwest Automotive (http://www.sunwestautomotiveengines.com/)

almost 50k miles on it so far.
did you buy their "supreme engine" 22re? The 2.4-6 I believe. I'm thinking about picking it up
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
did you buy their "supreme engine" 22re? The 2.4-6 I believe. I'm thinking about picking it up
Yes, that's the same one I got.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by xylicon
Yes, that's the same one I got.
I sheee...sent ya a pm. Not trying to hijack the thread
Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 PM

Please don't hesitate to discuss the benefits, I'm open to hearing the word. Especially to know if it is worth the extra cost for the supreme engine they list. I know it shows a new head casting, so I'm curious.

As for United, they quoted $1095 no core plus shipping. Not too bad in my opinion. But, that is a basic stock rebuild and I'm not sure I want to tear the head off a new engine to swap in a better cam. That engnbldr cam I was using was netting me 25 mpg without my shell on, and 22-23 with it, so it would be worth it with my commute.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:35 AM

I'll post what I did in the private message:

Shipping cost $150 because I had to have it shipped to Southern California. It came on a small pallet, it wasn't that hard to transport it back to my garage from the Fedex freight depot.

Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/f82rF

It has just under 50k miles on it right now, it still has a ton of power. Oil pressure while cruising on the highway is around 70PSI and at idle 25PSI.

Here is a video of it running after I broke it in:

Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Thanks. I'm still trying to decide what to do, but likely going to hold off until spring/summer on replacing the engine and grab me a 2nd gen 4Runner right now. Likely going to turn this truck over to my oldest when he gets his license. Going to start searching on pros/cons of 2nd gen Runners now. I will update this thread once I decide what/where I am buying the engine, but that supreme seems like it might give the most bang for the buck.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by lectric80
Thanks. I'm still trying to decide what to do, but likely going to hold off until spring/summer on replacing the engine and grab me a 2nd gen 4Runner right now. Likely going to turn this truck over to my oldest when he gets his license. Going to start searching on pros/cons of 2nd gen Runners now. I will update this thread once I decide what/where I am buying the engine, but that supreme seems like it might give the most bang for the buck.
Denny's auto machine in Williamsport, md. 301-582-2848. Did my 3vze, couldn't be happier. Small shop a couple of guys, but he ships all over the U.S.. When you call you will talk to him and he'll answer all your questions. I actually dropped my truck off there as it is about an hour away. He took the time to walk me through his shop, at that time he had a couple of 22's and 3vze done and ready to go on engine stands. I really got to check out his work.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 AM

I will check him out as well. Love supporting smaller shops, they tend to focus on quality more than larger shops, at least in most cases. Going to be doing some looking today at Runners while I decide what to do with the truck.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:12 PM

Bringing this back up again, almost a year later, because I've made a few decisions and would love to hear opinions.

A good friend of mine swapped the 22-re from an 88 4Runner (with dash, wiring, and more) and that left his "freshly" rebuilt engine free, which he gave to me. Since my block is toast, and there is likely to be crank damage (whether it's repairable won't be known until I actually pull it, right now it hasn't been touched and still sits in the engine bay, reasons follow), I went ahead and took the engine knowing it had slightly low compression on 3 cylinders, and 1 completely dead. I started tearing it down, and quickly found out why the cylinder was dead, and why it was running so rough for him:

Name:  20141208_190157_zpsfe41a2d8.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  20141208_190139_zpse00dfc8a.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  64.8 KB

It seems there were a few problems, the carb was dumping fuel like mad, there were 1 or more air leaks, and the block was never machined before he put it together. This all combined for the poor compression and allowed a large amount of carbon to build up under the #2 intake valve and prevent it from closing. This engine has about 2-3k miles since it was rebuilt, and I know the internals on my engine were much cleaner at 190k than this engine is. Having made it this far, but no further yet, I've decided to do the following:

1. Master overhaul kit from RockAuto, including pistons, wrist pins, bearings, oil pump, timing set, cam chain dampers and tensioner, plus gaskets and seals
2. I've found a couple of local shops that are supposed to do quality machine work so I will be having one do:
a. Hot tank block
b. Pull freeze plugs
c. Polish crank
d. Inspect and clean rods, press new pistons
e. Bore twenty thousandths over and hone
f. Set ring gaps
g. Install threadcert in bad head bolt hole
3. Ordering a new casting loaded head with RV cam from Sunwest Automotive
4. New rockers and rocker shafts

My questions are, who has done overbore on these engines? Do they have any issues after boring (i.e. overheating)? My concern is I don't know how many miles are actually on this block, so by boring I should ensure the piston tolerances are as tight as factory.

I know some are running the Sunwest engine, but how many are running the version with the new casting head and RV cam? Any issues with it? Are there other shops with new casting heads that I should look at, or that you have experience with? I want a new casting to hopefully insure this engine last for many years.

Hopefully that's all the questions for now, but if anyone thinks of anything I'm not considering, please let me know. I just know rebuilding it myself, and using one of the local machine shops, saves me around $1100 versus ordering online, when you factor shipping costs and core costs because my block is junk.

Last edited by lectric80; 02-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 AM

Has anyone used Oregon Engine Rebuilders?
I live close to them but I read a horrible review somewhere on them..
That would be conveniant but i want streetable performance something like
http://www.22reperformance.com/22RE_...t_Engines.html
is my favorite so far blindly shopping the internet..
Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UZI - SUICIDE
Has anyone used Oregon Engine Rebuilders?
I live close to them but I read a horrible review somewhere on them..
That would be conveniant but i want streetable performance something like
http://www.22reperformance.com/22RE_...t_Engines.html
is my favorite so far blindly shopping the internet..

I have an Oregon 22re Superstock with about 30k mi and no problems. The problems that I have seen on this site mostly have to do with the hyperteuctic aluminum pistons. They were very clear with me that these pistons have superior expansion qualities but will not tolerate a poor fuel mixture (the lambda). They have a lifetime unlimited mileage guarantee but if you have to ship the engine that is not worth much. If I was close to them I would use them again in a heartbeat. I strongly recommend that you use a local engine builder so that it is convenient to deal with issues and so that you can have face to face conversations.

When I was shopping for a motor I called 22re Performance and I was very impressed with the attitude and helpfulness of the owner. I have not heard any reviews from people that have used their motors.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

If you install a higher performance engine you will need to upgrade the exhaust and intake if you want to get the most from the motor upgrades.

Quick Reply: Engine builders for 22re, who to use