86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EGR Removal Pro's and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by snap-on
When cruiseing on the intersate the computer goes into open loop? ie it hunts for the condtions for optimum running. The EGR comes into play for this. It calls for the EGR to open (by activating a vacume solinod) and then watches the O2 for a change (rich/lean) when that doesnt happen it assumes the EGR failed to operate and throws an EGR code. (ask me how i know)

running lean = hotter temps also means better fuel econimy but a power loss

The proper way to de-egr your motor is to re-program the ECU chip so it isnt looking for an EGR.

you are liekly to fail a sniff test emissions test with a bypassed EGR even with a properly reprogramed ECU.
Bulldada.

1) The ECM has no way of knowing whether or not the EGR valve is functioning except via the EGR temperature sensor. Some systems don't even have one, so no code is thrown PERIOD. And if you want to "fool" the ECM it can be achieved by installing a resistor in place of the sensor to mock the valves function.
Name:  EGRtempSensor.jpg
Views: 10627
Size:  58.2 KB

2)Better fuel economy NEVER accompanies power loss in regards to tuning an engine. More HP=More MPG. By the way the EGR COOLS combustion temps, not raises them. Which means loss of power and fuel economy.

3)Reprogramming your ECM is the last thing on the EGR delete list. IF it's even doable.

4)There are many accounts of people PASSING emmissions testing with no functioning EGR valve.

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-27-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kiff
There seems to be many threads on how to take the EGR system off, but I'd like to know what are some pro's and cons, beside the obvious, (more emissions). I am running a 3.0 and where I live we dont have smog testing! so Im not worried about that factor.

Im guessing it would improve gas mileage aswell as power by not trying to reburn, burn exhaust gases. Also this would lead me to believe that there would be a smoother running engine, because the motor is now running on "pure" air. What are some of the cons? I couldn't think of any cons that would effect the motor running itself, only enviroment issues. Does the computer shoot codes if it doesnt sense EGR?
Leave it. It doesnt rob HP, it can even help, especially on real warm days. You can gets lots of ping without it.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is old thread,I'm just researching egr removal.I am seeing pros and cons and still not sure what to do.My situation is different then everyone else's on here though.My 91 toyota v-6 has a misfire and shop diagnosed bad egr and temp sensor.Problem is my egr valve is unlike most and has coolant lines running thru it.It has been discontinued by Toyota and I have done a thorough internet search and called every parts house and no one can get this part.I have found parts houses on the net that claim they have it but when called they dont actually have it.I have bought the block off kit but now am having second thoughts about doing it.If I do do it I could take back the temp sensor I bought and get my 160 bucks back,or I could take it off and try and clean it then install new temp sensor and if that doesnt work then I cant take the temp sensor back.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by redskinman
I know this is old thread,I'm just researching egr removal.I am seeing pros and cons and still not sure what to do.My situation is different then everyone else's on here though.My 91 toyota v-6 has a misfire and shop diagnosed bad egr and temp sensor.Problem is my egr valve is unlike most and has coolant lines running thru it.It has been discontinued by Toyota and I have done a thorough internet search and called every parts house and no one can get this part.I have found parts houses on the net that claim they have it but when called they dont actually have it.I have bought the block off kit but now am having second thoughts about doing it.If I do do it I could take back the temp sensor I bought and get my 160 bucks back,or I could take it off and try and clean it then install new temp sensor and if that doesnt work then I cant take the temp sensor back.
\A picture and dimensions might help guys here find a suitable replacement. There are lots of hoses out there and one of them might fit the bill.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
\A picture and dimensions might help guys here find a suitable replacement. There are lots of hoses out there and one of them might fit the bill.
I'm not sure what you mean by hoses,but heres a pic of the egr valve I need.What makes this one special is the 2 extra tubes that run coolant thru them.
Attached Thumbnails EGR Removal Pro's and Cons-img_9539.jpg