Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

EGR Blockoff plates... stock ones.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Blockoff plates... stock ones.

Ok, i know i don't have mony posts... usually because i'm a yota n00b, that has a complete understanding of the search feature.

Anyways, this topic i couldn't find squat for. I read here how EGR is just a pita and to take it all off and throw it away, others saying keep it for better mpg, and a better running engine. Some say its only bottom end, some say only mid. Theres about a million arguements for it going in every direction, and i see the proof behind each statement, an they all make sense to me.

My problem is, what if you have a 22re, with no EGR from the factory? My 88 22re does have it. But my 85 parts truck was a 22re, and it had blockoff plates for the tubes, and a plug where the sensor was. Doesn't this throw alot of what people say about bad idle, pinging, etc to the garbage? And yes, you could say maybe the computer was programmed differently. Well then, can i put that computer on my truck? that would be alot cheaper then getting new hoses and fixing the cracks in my factory EGR tubing. Some insight and opinions on this would be nice, thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Your so wrong.....Why there is no electrical connection to the EGR on our year truck.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All 22R`s and 22re`s came with an EGR system, if your 85 22RE has block off plates were the EGR is supposed that means someone has removed it, and the 85-86 EGR system had no electrical connections what so ever. you can remove the EGR if you want to, thats your choice.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:36 PM

Well, think that you may, but heres the story on the truck.

It was an 85 extra cab 4x4 22re automatic. A dude bought it brand new and drove it until he bought a newer, lower to the ground car. (he was about late 60's) He parked it and it sat until the trucks frame literally rotted so bad it broke in half just sitting there. He started it every so ofter for a few years, until it siezed from what he said. I took the axle for my solid axle swap, and left the motor for a year or so. I just recently blew the headgasket it in my daily driver 88, so i took the head to rebuild with new seals, check valves and get decked etc. I took the head off and 3 of the cylinders had oil, one was full to the top, and it had a bent valve and broken valve guide, hense him thinking its seized. It actually hydro locked itself. All i can gather from this, is that the PCV valve stuck maybe? Who knows, it was full of oil, where oil shouldn't be.

Either way, it had NO EGR tubes off the mani, and it had large blockoff plates (a clone to LC basically) over where the holes would be. This was a factory, bought in massachusetts new, with service records, original owner, toyota 22re. And it did not have EGR tubes, and it did have blockoff plates. i HIGHLY doubt that a 60 something guy went out and got a EGR delete kit, especially seeing as it was parked in maybe 01 or 02.

Ill take pictures of the plates and put them up. From there condition, and the fact that this is massachusetts (rust much?) I can tell they have been there for a LONG time.

And i was under the impression that there was a EGR sensor on the firewall end of the intake manifold on 22RE's? Maybe it was only 89+ pickups only? I know there was a sensor though, it was for temperature, or something, and it can be "fooled" with a 10 Ohm resistor. Ill have to go back a few threads to find out exactly what it was for.

any more imput?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Take some pictures if you can, i would like to see this set up.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:49 PM

ill take some pics of the plates and manifold. As I said it's all apart now, but i still ahve parts. stay tuned..
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Please post pics, as the EGR system is run off vacuum lines it has no electrical connection to it. If you took a solid axle off than it is not older than '85. I seriously doubt that any dealership or factory direct ever had block off plate for an EGR at time of purchase. If they are indeed plates blocking off the EGR anybody could have done it. How is the EGR system even there now you took the head off to rebuild for your rig.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Guys c'mon. I said, it was a 1985 toyota, it had a fuel injected 22RE motor. I stripped it myself. There were NO EGR tubes on the manifold. I highly doubt the owner modified it in any way.

This motor, has been sitting for a while. I have a separate truck, a 1988 ex cab 22RE pickup, and that is my daily driver. My 1988, just recently blew a headgasket. Instead of taking my engine apart right away and over time getting the work done, i figured it would be easier to take the head off my spare engine, the 85 22RE, and have the head rebuilt, decked, new seals, etc, etc, and then put that on my 1988 daily driver's engine and do all the work with the engine out in one weekend.

When disassembleing the 85, is where i notoced it had no EGR system. Had i known it was such a big deal, and everyone would call bull on me, i would have take pictures before disassembly. I have all the parts, and will get my camera from work tomorrow and post tomorrow night.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lets see the pics!!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM

i'm inclined to think you are confused between the secondary air injection system that comes off the exhaust manifold and the egr system that comes off the back-left corner of the cylinder head and goes into the rear of the intake manifold. You probably don't have the secondary air injection, but i'd bet money you do have the egr valve at the back of the cylinder head.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by hodgepodge79
i'm inclined to think you are confused between the secondary air injection system that comes off the exhaust manifold and the egr system that comes off the back-left corner of the cylinder head and goes into the rear of the intake manifold. You probably don't have the secondary air injection, but i'd bet money you do have the egr valve at the back of the cylinder head.
what he said!

my 85 has the block off plates too.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Year and a half no response... I think the last 2 comments were on the money.