YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   E-Bay lights (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/e-bay-lights-306537/)

moosedog 12-18-2018 04:00 PM

E-Bay lights

1988 4Runner dlx 2.4 auto.
Looking to brighten up my dash when lights are on, has anybody bought led or any other after market bulbs that worked good?
Also need advice on climate control lighting, its so faded that I cant even see the controls anymore. E Bay has a new plate for it but I dont know if it is just a sticker or a plastic part!

Discombobulated 12-18-2018 04:10 PM

Go to superbright leds, plug in your vehicle and check it out. Christmas sales are coming, usually they have 15-20% off site wide.

Been using them for years, great place for anything lighting.

moosedog 12-18-2018 04:55 PM

Thanks for the info Discombobulated, will check out the superbright leds!

roughridn_sob 12-18-2018 06:29 PM

superbright is a great site with decent prices. Be careful of cheap led bulbs from eBay or local auto store! Most cheap LED bulbs are not dimmable which sucks on long dark drives.

Discombobulated 12-18-2018 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by roughridn_sob (Post 52414369)
superbright is a great site with decent prices. Be careful of cheap led bulbs from eBay or local auto store! Most cheap LED bulbs are not dimmable which sucks on long dark drives.

this depends, on most old vehicles the dimmer switch puts out too much voltage no matter where you set it at the LED’s are so low wattage they are full on no matter what position, My 91 pickup dims the slightest then shuts off....

old87yota 12-18-2018 09:51 PM

I personally like the "dimness" of my OEM incandescent bulbs, as well as the subtle green tint. I find it oddly comforting. :D

As for the climate control plate, it depends on what you are talking about. Do you have a link?

I thought that the only available option was entire plastic climate control face plate, but my search turned up that the plastic insert (the part that fades) is also available. I have never tried replacing just that part.

:safari:

ev13wt 12-19-2018 12:08 AM

Same. I turn down the original lights quite a bit as well. Still on oem original bulbs!

The climate control part is a plastic, clip in part. My new OEM one makes everything look really nice again.

RAD4Runner 12-19-2018 04:31 AM

I also favor dim dash backlight. I look at the road more often than the dash :)
+1 for Superbright LED's. return policy's excellent, too.

dropzone 12-19-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated (Post 52414372)

this depends, on most old vehicles the dimmer switch puts out too much voltage no matter where you set it at the LED’s are so low wattage they are full on no matter what position, My 91 pickup dims the slightest then shuts off....

when I installed the LED's in the dash of my 81 the dimmer worked fine. Huge improvement

millball 12-19-2018 10:23 AM

+1 on dimmed dash lights. It's a safety issue to me.

The brighter they are, the more difficult it is to see the road and any obstacles that there might be.

I often turn them completely off and only brighten the cluster lights once in a while to monitor the instruments.