86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driveshaft questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft questions...

I've been throwing around the idea for quite some time, and getting considerably closer to a production here. I'm tired of *messing* with the auto and would really rather switch to a manual.

For those that have done this, My main concern is front and rear driveshaft lengths. I have a 91 4runner, 4wd. I'm pretty sure the front driveshaft shouldn't be a problem, but the rear droveshaft length is what concerns me most. What is the length difference between an auto 4wd 4runner and say, a manual transmisison 4wd pickup truck? 4Runner?

Last edited by Tofer; 12-28-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed
I've been throwing around the idea for quite some time, and getting considerably closer to a production here. I'm tired of *messing* with the auto and would really rather switch to a manual.

For those that have done this, My main concern is front and rear driveshaft lengths. I have a 91 4runner, 4wd. I'm pretty sure the front driveshaft shouldn't be a problem, but the rear droveshaft length is what concerns me most. What is the length difference between an auto 4wd 4runner and say, a manual transmisison 4wd pickup truck? 4Runner?
You will deffinatly like the manual over the automatic a lot more, you will have a lot more power. The drive shafts shouldn`t be much of a concern, because you can always have a drive line shop lenthen or shorten your drive shafts as needed. When i did the auto to manual swap on my 86 4Runner i had to have new drive shafts made because i added duel cases.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 PM

Believe me, I know the swap will be a great improvement in power, and fuel economy. Not to mention I'm on my second auto tranny, and it still has issues (and intermittant ones to top it off) and I'm honestly just done with tracing them down before this tranny quits going zoom zoom all together. I'm basically trying to figure out what I need to do about the driveshaft before I get there...

Does anyone with a manual trans v6 4wd 4runner have a couple minutes to measure their driveshaft as it sits in the driveway? Worst case I can always scavenge one from a junkyard for 20 bucks, but would like to know if one from a 4wd pickup, or my current one would work.

I've got an idea, would be better suited in a new thread.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
You will need a new rear driveline. As the manual transmission is 2 inches shorter. Your front driveline will remain the same.

Go to a pull a part... Thats how i found one. Or get a donor truck and get it from that with its manual tranny.

Good luck man! I love my swap!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Birdbrain
You will need a new rear driveline. As the manual transmission is 2 inches shorter. Your front driveline will remain the same.

Go to a pull a part... Thats how i found one. Or get a donor truck and get it from that with its manual tranny.

Good luck man! I love my swap!
What I was kinda trying to determine is what ones would work. IE from a pickup to 4runner, extended cab pickup to 4runner, or etc. That was I know what I need to seek out in the yards. Because around here, 4runners aren't the most common. But there's a ton of pickups. OR if I knew what lengths were needed, could even pick something up out of something else and swap a yoke or flange or something to make it mate up correctly, and be done with it.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
Any v6 4runner from 88-94 with a manual tranny will work for the rear driveline...

I have no idea about the pickups...