Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

door locked and rods inside are loose...how to unlock/open door?

Old 05-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door locked and rods inside are loose...how to unlock/open door?

manual/mechanical door mechanism on 1992 corolla. Pulled up on door lock and something came loose inside the door and it will not unlock so I can open the door. When I ripped the door panel aside all the rods inside move but nothing happens. It's a real pain in the As when there's some kind of sheet metal shield preventing easy access to the mechanism. How do I unlock this?
Old 05-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got it. Found one tiny little lever amongst all that crap that opened the door. Then for some reason, because i opened the door, the pull tab to lock and unlock the door from the inside worked again, mkay. So I left it unlocked and shut and opened the door as a test. The door opened and closed fine two or three times but now the pull tab is stuck in unlock, won't move without perhaps breaking something. So I left it at that. But something is still wrong in the mechanism where is all connects and I see no screw or bolt to tighten. Oh well, it works for now.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Like other mechanical parts the door linkage does need lubrication
Old 05-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbness
.... So I left it at that. But something is still wrong in the mechanism where is all connects and I see no screw or bolt to tighten. Oh well, it works for now.
Uh, and what do you think happens next? Vehicles I've worked on have a tiny microprocessor and sensors that determine the coldest day of the year, or when you're REALLY late for work, or you're showing a really cute girl (or guy) the town. Then the door won't work.

If it was worth your time to post here, it's worth your time to find the problem and fix it. Trust me on that.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
door locks and latches can be really difficult to try to describe with words, your best bet is to take the whole latch assembly out (or pull one from a wrecking yard) clean it and figure out how it works or post pictures so we can try to lead you down the path of righteousness. I think I actually spelled that right! LOL.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A 92 corolla may be tough to find in a salvage yard at this point. Went to one recently and the cars there were at most 20 years old. Waste of time!. My brother in law has had a couple wear out on his 95 corolla. The springs inside the mechanism get weak and stop returning or releasing. There is no way to open it up without destroying it. Best bet is to find someone parting one out(eBay maybe) and get a working used one. Or you can drive around holding on to your door for a couple months like my brother in law, Lol!
Old 05-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by CRSHR
A 92 corolla may be tough to find in a salvage yard at this point. Went to one recently and the cars there were at most 20 years old. Waste of time! Lol!
I guess I am lucky, many yards in my area have online inventories of the year and model. Won't say what parts are still there but at least I know which one to hit based on if they even have a 90-95 4runner
Old 05-14-2017, 12:37 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
If you want us to help you, help us "see" what you have in front in front of you.
Pictures... or it did not happen.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dropzone
I guess I am lucky, many yards in my area have online inventories of the year and model. Won't say what parts are still there but at least I know which one to hit based on if they even have a 90-95 4runner
sounds like you have some nice yards in your area. Wish we had that. Probably also depends on the area. Here in the rust belt a 20+ year Toyota is a rare find running or not.

Search this Thread