YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   does a sas ride bad? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/does-sas-ride-bad-156679/)

Matt16 10-14-2008 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oly396R (Post 50945773)
Sorry, I had to steal this one too, just toooooo good to pass up!

I was sitting here, thinking about it, then the image of Rosy O'Donnel sweating bullets looking at a bowl of smarties popped (no pun intended) into my head.

Matt16 10-14-2008 11:02 PM

Back to the original question. Your SAS, created with ad hoc engineering, principally for strength will probably ride poorly, but it isn't impossible for SAS to right smoothly and handle well. After all, Princess Diana had one of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ge_Rover_2.JPG

87LVRunner 10-15-2008 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by swapped89 (Post 50945220)
I just put a trail-gear ifs iliminator kit on my truck and i would have to say the ride is ten times better than ifs. i got five inch springs front and rear with bilstein 5150 14'' travel shocks. i also have a 2'' body lift and could easily fit 37's. i have a v6 and run on 35's. my buddy let me drive his 91 with the same kit only 3'' springs front and rear on 38'' boggers(miner fender trimming) and it even took bumps in the road better than my ifs. SAS the only way to go.

Hey Swapped89, do you have a linky to this kit? I'm tossing around doing this on my 87 4Runner...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...driverside.jpg

toyotanick 12-21-2009 04:14 PM

ok well, i have finally acquired my axle... yeah i know it has been a while but college hit me hard. n e way. my truck is still ifs, its a 4inch superlift suspension kit with 1"1/2 balljoint spacers clearing 38" TSL SX's 38x12.5x15. o and i have a 3inch body lift. i unserstand that trail gear has a very nice IFS eliminator kit but thats alot o money. yes, the kit gives you a rediculous amount of stuff for a very reasonable price but i mean it did take me several months just to be able to afford an axle.

so what i am trying to get at is i am looking for a less costly way to do this. i can build my own perches and shackles pretty easily. i have a tubing bender for the shock hoops. my truck already has the up graded IFS rotors the are vented and slotted. what else do i need

camo31_10.50 12-21-2009 04:23 PM

do rears up front with some 63" chevies out back..maybe some 4wd chevy springs instead of 2wd springs like everybody normally uses

toyotanick 12-21-2009 04:58 PM

i have superlift 4inch springs in the rear right now with a 2inch block. will 63"chevy's get me the same thing?

olharleyman 12-21-2009 05:12 PM

My buddie drove mine and he drives a 06 Caddy CTS and was very impressed with the ride and said "that thing rides a cushy as my Caddy on the road and off road it feels very stable and comfortable as well" the only real draw back I find with my 93 full front and rear SAS is that on washboards you will get a wobble like feel other then that I am very happy with mine and I feel like it rides just as nice as my 90 with a 4" lift IFS

yoterr 12-21-2009 05:22 PM

i gots a question for ya nick? 1 what shocks do you have and 2 i know this is a hard one, but have you done any offroading in your truck? it looks really purdy......and if so ....wondering if you broke anything with the 37's??:D and my ifs doesent ride bad at all, just my shocks are shot and i have some wobble from the tires but after that it should be all set :hillbill: i gots the same setup...

jrobertson4runnner 12-21-2009 05:32 PM

I have driven both, and not really noticed a difference in ride quality. and as far as off-road performance, my IFS does pretty well. I also had something revealed to me recently. There are a lot of front wheel drive "race cars" (some that put out almost 400 hp) that use IFS. That being said, I realize that SFA generally does better on the trail, but if set up and maintained correctly, so does IFS. just my thoughts.

toyotanick 12-21-2009 07:51 PM

i haave done a good bit of offroading. louisiana is mostly mud so thats pretty mush what i am up against but when i actually do find something to climb im all over it! i have the heavy duty torsion bars on my truck also. the only thing that i have killed are cv shafts but i have only killed the stock set of them. the second set has been on there for a few years and have yet to even start clicking. i do not have n e rubbing issuse or even power issuse, 529's front and rear.

as far as shocks i have pro comp mx6 adjustables in the rear and some discontinued rancho big bore shocks on the front. oh and thanks about the purdy compliment. the picture is old. i now am on 38's, snorkeled and black rims.

i still wanna know if the 63'inch chevys and a 2 inch block will be as tall as what i already have?

Originally Posted by yoterr (Post 51312886)
i gots a question for ya nick? 1 what shocks do you have and 2 i know this is a hard one, but have you done any offroading in your truck? it looks really purdy......and if so ....wondering if you broke anything with the 37's??:D and my ifs doesent ride bad at all, just my shocks are shot and i have some wobble from the tires but after that it should be all set :hillbill: i gots the same setup...

camo31_10.50 12-21-2009 07:57 PM

uhhm...4wd chevy stock springs will probably net around 5" of lift (i think the 2wd's will net around 3"-4" if not wore out) so you could still run a 1" block..or longer shackle

toyotanick 12-21-2009 08:09 PM

wow. ok. so what about the rest of the lift. what else do i need to make this work?i have the spring idea already figured out from what i can tell. what about the rest of ir? steering, etc.

JonnyBoy 12-21-2009 11:28 PM

You said you have IFS rotors, but what you need as I understand it is FJ60 Rotors and v6 IFS calipers. You already have the IFS steering box, so you'll need the rest of the crossover steering pieces. Check out Marlin, you can at least get an idea of what's needed if you wanted piece it together yourself. Some extended brake lines, misc shock tabs and such. Just look at the Trail Gear and Marlin kits and visually sort out the stuff that's there and what you can make yourself.

91diesel 12-22-2009 06:25 AM

It looks like the OP is already going down the SAS path, but for people with ifs you can really affect the ride quality by messing with the torsion bars.
1. Don't get any of the heavy duty ones (plow trucks exempted). I have a V6 truck and I've heard the torsion bars are different for these than on the 4cy. I just know that I would want anything stiffer.
2. I've found that you can relax the T-bars too much and get a worse ride. I swapped in a diesel and changed some batteries around and when the t-bars are too close to the upper bumpstops it's just as bad as t-bars that are cranked up too close to the droop bumpstops. When I put in BJ spacers and didn't touch the adjusters it rode better than when I relaxed the t-bars down a little so the truck would sit level.
Anyway, that's my $.02 on improving ifs ride.

91diesel 12-22-2009 06:27 AM

It looks like the OP is already going down the SAS path, but for people with ifs you can really affect the ride quality by messing with the torsion bars.
1. Don't get any of the heavy duty ones (plow trucks exempted). I have a V6 truck and I've heard the torsion bars are different for these than on the 4cy. I just know that I would want anything stiffer.
2. I've found that you can relax the T-bars too much and get a worse ride. I swapped in a diesel and changed some batteries around and when the t-bars are too close to the upper bumpstops it's just as bad as t-bars that are cranked up too close to the droop bumpstops. When I put in BJ spacers and didn't touch the adjusters it rode better than when I relaxed the t-bars down a little so the truck would sit level.
Anyway, that's my $.02 on improving ifs ride.

MaK92-4RnR 12-22-2009 07:11 AM

could always skip the idea of SAS, pull that body lift out, and do Long travel.

camo31_10.50 12-22-2009 07:25 AM

well now he wouldn't be able to run 38's with long travel lol..

uhm, you still needa do A LOT more research dude, you need crossover steering, gears, get your brakes sorted out, and lots more lol

MaK92-4RnR 12-22-2009 07:26 AM

^^^ true.

Sell the 38s, buy 33s and pull the body lift off :) Long travel > SAS :)

rattlewagon 12-22-2009 12:11 PM

what kind of wheeling do you do that you havent broken a cv shaft yet. is this thing just a mall crawler?

peow130 12-22-2009 01:41 PM

He's mudding, it's not crawling lol.