Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Detroit Truetrac LSD facts and Information

Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit Truetrac LSD facts and Information

OK i saw a bunch of different info from here to the pirate to the planet etc... and searches inbetween and found a variety of info. Some I was looking for and some was just there so between that and a call to detroit this morning heres the info!

Detroits testing: Truetracs were tested with dino lube (basic petroleum product) with no friction modifier, weight was 85/140. This is what was recomended to me being as there are no internal clutches or plates.
You can use standard gear lube with friction modifiers (dont add any) supposedley its more of a anti foaming agent than anything else.

Weight: if its cold the recomend a 80/90 or 90 if its hotter and not alot of freezing then 85/140. 85/140 will not hurt anything just be a little heavy feeling and or slugish till it warms up.
(I do not know if thicker oil makes it engage more positively, Id like to know)

Synthetic: They do not always resopond well to synthethetics, they can get loud and make some noise when driving as well as apparently behave irratical. The heat dissapation theory is great if you have a aluminum cover if not the heat still stays in the case. There was a test via a company that did synthetic oil standard case, standard oil standard case and then with an aluminum cover and the main difference came with the aluminum cover aside of that apparently standard cases don't allow the heat to cool as fast as its being wicked away from the components.
It doesnt allow for the friction to take place as it should between the metals to give the full traction its supposed to. Too slick!!!!
a person advised me via what they witnessed (company intrest) saw a sand dune test with 1st test: synthetic and all 4 tires spun and no massive 4 wheel rooster tails.
2nd test: dino lube and all 4 hooked and slung a big rooster tails.

Tire size: the new ones come with a warranty up to a 38" tire vs the 33 from 4 years ago.

If anyone has info to add please do so as I had to look alot of different places and reading as well as calling them, randys ring and pinion, precision, amsoil, lucas and a couple of others to get info. (I was bored and figured it would be easier to compile it here)
Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do a lot of testing, I want to put one in the front of my IFS for snow and mud. Good info so far.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Wow, good info!! I use dino oil in my rear and I haven't expericed any issues with my trutrac, even running 35's. I think I'll stick with the dino oil now though...
Old 10-08-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a truetrac up front in the last 4runner on 33s and it worked like a monster in the snow. I was AMAZED, part of the reason I opted for front and rear this time around. That and I horse traded ...
So far after going wheelin by bogus basin I did 1 hill thats nasty to begin with and it was muddy/rutted ontop of that. I went up it like it was a flat parking lot. no slipping or issues. A jacked up dodge with 35s couldnt get 1/3 the way up and decided to back out!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bullcrew
I had a truetrac up front in the last 4runner on 33s and it worked like a monster in the snow. I was AMAZED, part of the reason I opted for front and rear this time around. That and I horse traded ...
So far after going wheelin by bogus basin I did 1 hill thats nasty to begin with and it was muddy/rutted ontop of that. I went up it like it was a flat parking lot. no slipping or issues. A jacked up dodge with 35s couldnt get 1/3 the way up and decided to back out!
In that case, I think I would have then gone up backwards to show off. That's wicked that it works so well in mud/ snow.