YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Denver 22re (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/denver-22re-306319/)

Josh Mares 11-25-2018 11:09 AM

Denver 22re

Hey all,

In need of some advice. I bought a '93 Toyota pickup about 6 months ago. Had a LCE 22re performance engine with about 10,000 miles on it when I bought it (body has 255,000). Admittedly, I have never learned how to properly maintain a vehicle. The truck spent many months parked in a garage and must've had an oil leak cause I'm fairly certain I threw a rod yesterday while driving. I checked the dipstick and it was clean, despite having another 1,0000 miles before it "needed" an oil change (I know, I need to start checking my levels on my own. Lesson learned).

ev13wt 11-25-2018 01:06 PM

Make sure you check the fluids on your future patients!! :)

What happened, exactly? Big clunk and it stopped? Fairly certain more describing is needed.

A real lce engine is a $5k deal.
A 22-RE runs 400k without issues.

Josh Mares 11-25-2018 01:28 PM

Yeah, I'm beating myself up over it... Definitely careless on my part but I will never make the same mistake again. I was on the highway and heard a rattle. Pretty abrupt and worsened very rapidly. Immediately pulled over and had it towed to my place. The truck still starts and will idle but has this awful noise coming from it. Looked at youtube videos and it sounds like I threw a rod.

scope103 11-25-2018 03:26 PM

"Threw a rod" most often means the connecting rod broke, and in turn it punctured the side of the crankcase, dumping oil all over the place. (Did you see the movie "Blues Brothers"?) If that happened, it would never idle again.

But then, "threw a rod" could refer to something else, I guess.

Lots of things, even some relatively minor things, can lead to awful noise. If you can get a 22re maven (that's not me) to cruise over to the Mile High City, you might get some good advice. Short of that, I'd call around to find a real mechanic willing to take a look, and have it towed there. (Or you could pay her to come to you, but I'll guess having it towed is cheaper.)

Josh Mares 11-25-2018 03:42 PM

Yeah you're right, I guess I meant more "rod knock" than anything. Thanks for the advice, I'll work on finding a good shop near me tomorrow

ev13wt 11-25-2018 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Mares (Post 52412938)
Yeah you're right, I guess I meant more "rod knock" than anything. Thanks for the advice, I'll work on finding a good shop near me tomorrow

Fill it up with oil and see what it does.
Fill it until the dipstick shows full. :p

Discombobulated 11-26-2018 03:52 AM

Toyota mechanic you can trust smoothride auto in Northglenn, name is phil. Super honest dude and great with Toyota’s. Give him a call. He is usually pretty busy and obviously you will need to tow it there and be ready financially.

As as far as someone that can come to you I do not have anything for ya:(

ev13wt 11-26-2018 04:37 AM

If you shut it off secons after the rattling started, you probably got lucky. Have you filled it with oil? How much was still in the pan?

gsp4life 11-26-2018 06:59 AM

This is a little off-topic, but interesting. I helped my nephew replace a 2.3l engine in his Mazda 3 last year which threw a rod, busted a hole in the aluminum oil pan and dumped all the oil out. I don't understand why, but it still ran and drove like that. I doubt it would've gone far once it warmed up, but was still pretty neat to watch the end of the rod pop out the hole while it idled.