Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

the definitive answer as to if the 22RE is an interference engine... (lol)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the definitive answer as to if the 22RE is an interference engine... (lol)

Yep you guessed it, I jumped time and bent a few valves...

I have posted a bit about this in the past but I finally got the head off and have pics of the damage.

Quick background, I had a plastic timing chain guide break on a remaned engine after 12k. When it broke, it fell to the bottom and went between the gear and the chain, causing the timing to jump and the timing cover to break around the bottom gear. Evidently it jumped further than I thought, as when I finally got it back together I still had no compression in any of the cylinders.

So I tore back into it and got the head off and here's the damage:

See the shiny lines on all the intakes? There is a matching line on all the pistons...

Here's a closeup of #3 which was the worst:

And a spotlight held behind the valve. Notice the light?

And one last of looking down the intake port at the vavle.Wonder why I had zero compression...?

So, the next time someone asks if they can bend a valve, point them to this thread for proof...

Now I am just a click away from a nice new remenufactured head to get back on the road.

I think I know what head I am going to buy, but as always I'm open for advice.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks like what my 22re did ..... you going with a engnbldr head and a cam ?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:25 AM

Well, the engnbldr stuff is a little pricey... With all of this happening unexpectedly I can't do the $500-600 that route would need.

I was looking at a J and C Enterprises reman head with O/S SS vales and a Crane performance cam... It seems like a nice medium between something brand new and HP and a simple reman stock head.

I've heard good things about them and the price seems fair.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
engnbldr's heads are a little more spendy because they're brand new castings, most others are rebuilt.

if it's bent valves, i'm sure that head is probably just fine in terms of salvageability, i'd have new valve guides put in(not too pricey)
Old 05-29-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take your head down to a machine shop and have them rebuild it with new valves.

Or if you want a new/diffrent head, call EB, I'm sure he can work a deal with ya.

In pure stock form a 22RE is a Non interfence engine, but once you mill the head any at all, 99% of the time the pistons will hit the valves. If you get after market pistons though you should be ok, as most aftermarket pistons have reliefs cut into the pistons for the valves.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats waht my valves looked like when I took my engine apart...All four of my intake valves were bent and I too had zero compression. I had a local machine shop put new guides and seals and new intake vales for under $100...
Old 05-29-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuki

Or if you want a new/diffrent head, call EB, I'm sure he can work a deal with ya.

Well, I emailed Ted and he said there was no room to deal on the published price of his heads...

It didn't hurt to try I suppose...

I would go with a stock replacement, but as long as it's all apart I kind of want to go with a few bells and whistles on a replacement. This truck really needs a little pick me up if you know what I mean.

Ted recommended the guy at J and C in his reply. I'll probably get one of theirs.

If I can get it running again and pick up another 25 HP or so that will be all good in my book.

I do wish I had the change to get an engnbldr head...

edit. Oh and btw, the pistons in my rebuilt engine do have cutouts in them for the valves.... And they still hit.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the guys that did the work though...

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 05-29-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
not going to get 25hp just toss in a engnbldr 268 cam and put a lce header and a custom intake that will make good power well there is one way to get 25hp get some trd stickers the bigger they are the better