YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   CV Axle popping out (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/cv-axle-popping-out-225107/)

Red Wheeler 12-02-2010 12:53 PM

CV Axle popping out

Ive done a search and could not find anything on this at all. A little background. I have a 94 pickup 4x4 3.0L with a 4 inch lift and 33x12.5 Toyo MT's. Whenever the front passenger side suspension is flexed all the way down and the wheel is turned all the way the cv axle on that side pops out either on the diff or hub side. It has happened twice now and is really frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iamsuperbleeder 12-02-2010 12:59 PM

is the 4" bracket lift the ONLY suspension mods?

they shouldn't have that much down travel, unless maybe the droop bump stops are removed

you could either install taller droop bump stops (which is what I would do), or install an additional 1" diff lowering kit, which I'm not 100% sure will install on top of a 4" bracket lift

welcome to the forums :wave:

Bojangles 12-02-2010 01:00 PM

If i am correct,
You need to take the hub apart, There you will find a bolt and washer that has come out of the end of the cv axle and is probably rolling around in there somewhere.
Slide the splined shaft of the cv axle back into the hub, screw the bolt with washer back into the end of the cv axle, tighten it with a torque wrench to spec, reassemble the hub, and see what happens from there...
This happened to me once on my old truck while in a mudhole...Not fun...

Bojangles 12-02-2010 01:00 PM

Also...
Welcome to YotaTech :D

iamsuperbleeder 12-02-2010 01:01 PM

they way he described, it sounds like it's popping out at the CV joints, not inside the hub

Red Wheeler 12-02-2010 01:07 PM

Thx for the warm welcome guys. Am i correct in assuming that the droop bumpstops are the ones that limit the downward travel?

Bojangles 12-02-2010 01:17 PM

Didn't catch that one :P
Superbleeder is smart, Superbleeder is wise. Haha.

Red Wheeler 12-02-2010 01:30 PM

Also what size would you reccomend I get?

xxxtreme22r 12-02-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder (Post 51606666)
is the 4" bracket lift the ONLY suspension mods?

they shouldn't have that much down travel, unless maybe the droop bump stops are removed

you could either install taller droop bump stops (which is what I would do), or install an additional 1" diff lowering kit, which I'm not 100% sure will install on top of a 4" bracket lift

welcome to the forums :wave:

isn't it the up travel (lower) bump stops that need to be extended with a bracket lift? and the droop stops get left alone?

iamsuperbleeder 12-02-2010 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r (Post 51606708)
isn't it the up travel (lower) bump stops that need to be extended with a bracket lift? and the droop stops get left alone?

not sure; I've never installed one

but yeah the top set of bump stops are the droop bump stops

I installed some generic ones that I picked up at Advance Auto Parts when I did my custom setup with some Rancho UCA's and ball joints spacers because the setup drooped so far that the CV's would bind up

they were actually a little too tall; I probably could have taken 1/4" or 1/2" off them

that's with a 1" diff drop too :roll:

Attachment 199726

Attachment 199727