YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Custom/Home made turn signals (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/custom-home-made-turn-signals-166268/)

Yotapowa 02-06-2009 03:50 PM

Custom/Home made turn signals

Hey, I smashed both my front turn signals wheeling, and to buy OEM replacements is about 30 bucks a pop, and I didnt want to pay that much. This short term replacement cost me $7 and in my opinion looks really cool

yes I know they are not level :P
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...48375_9743.jpg

toyota4x4907 02-06-2009 03:54 PM

People might not know what those are (even if they are blinking) so you might get in some trouble, cops or otherwise.

looks cool though :hillbill:

Yotapowa 02-06-2009 03:56 PM

haha yeah I wondered about that, but i figure its better than nothing. And if a cop pulls me over for no signals, Ill just signal when i pull over and make him feel stupid:P

toyota4x4907 02-06-2009 04:01 PM

YUP! Thats what I Was thinking. My only concern would be that other drivers might not see that you are using turn signals and try to turn when you are....

olharleyman 02-06-2009 05:11 PM

A couple pieces of yellow lexan to fit the hole with yellow blinker lights would work and still be cheap

iamsuperbleeder 02-06-2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman (Post 51051709)
A couple pieces of yellow lexan to fit the hole with yellow blinker lights would work and still be cheap

ummmm, or just get some replacement lights :think:

cheap off ebay; hell, even my hood-rich clear euro-style signals were only like $15 :D

Yotapowa 02-07-2009 01:45 AM

oh nice. But I didnt get new ones because one I put my new bumper on I am taking the twisted and bent OEM one off

Ed H. 02-07-2009 01:55 AM

i think that your wire rope needs to be re wound, the reason i see some confusion is that they are facing upwards, so high on the truck and kind of close together.

dropzone 02-07-2009 02:51 AM

aren't they designed to be mounted facing forward for visibility?

cormel 02-07-2009 06:17 AM

Hey I am looking for a winch bumper lie what you have on your rig Yotapowa. Did you make it or did you buy it somewhere? I like it because I don't what to replace my stock bumper yet, but I have a winch that I use for plowing snow and light wheeling. Can you buy chance take some picture of how it is mounted and sides etc so I can see what it looks like in case I wan to fab one??

abecedarian 02-07-2009 06:24 AM

I was gonna say they need to point forward to be legal- a cop may give you a hard time because they could interfere with your view of the road particulary in adverse weather(fog, snow, rain) since they're in your field of view.
Otherwise, they would meet D.O.T. requirements for turn signals except they are supposed to be as far from the vehicle centerline as possible.

dieselloco427 02-07-2009 07:48 AM

looks cool!
I have to admit they could be confused for 'clearance lights' though...

okie81 02-07-2009 10:06 AM

Congrats! You earned yourself a 2009 "Okie Award" nomination in the Innovative Ingenuity category.

Good luck this fall when awards will be announced. :hillbill:

abecedarian 02-07-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by okie81 (Post 51052184)
Congrats! You earned yourself a 2009 "Okie Award" nomination in the Innovative Ingenuity category.

Good luck this fall when awards will be announced. :hillbill:

Don't have a pic yet, but would the electric griddle on the tailgate of my 4runner next to the coffee pot and maple syrup warmer quailfy, and would it help if I used maple syrup to thickin my sausage gravy for the biscuits (other's can pour syrup on their biscuits for all I care)?

Have to ask... I'm a Mc descended from Ok"lay"homa.

*edit- If you take offense to how my dad's dad was taught to say it... the one that moved the farthest away wins. ;)

Yotapowa 02-08-2009 12:32 AM

Ya, I dont think visibility is much of an issue, because they can be seen from all directions, and IMO a helluva lot better than the oem ones which cant be seen from beside the truck.

When I get my new bumper I will mount them pointing forwards just in case, and on the outside corners.

Cormel, that bumper came on the truck, I can say that it was made for this truck, it curves over the OEM bumper, and it bolts into the holes which i believe had tow hooks in them previously, and also two other holes. Ill see if i cant get some pics for you