YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Cranks but no spark (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/cranks-but-no-spark-306733/)

Trey Galindo 01-14-2019 02:54 PM

Cranks but no spark

I have a 1994 4 runner with the 3.0 in it. It will only have spark sometimes. Sometimes it will start up 10 times in a row and some times it won’t start the next 40 times I try it. But It will start very time if I pull start it? (Bump start) I replaced the coil and it ran but the next time I shut it off the same thing no spark? Any ideas on what to check or replace

RAD4Runner 01-14-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Trey Galindo (Post 52415924)
...It will start very time if I pull start it? (Bump start) ...

Please see signature.
Bump start or pull start or push start is what you do when the truck will not CRANK - meaning the starter will not turn the engine.
COMBUSTION is when you have compression, and air-fuel mixture and Spark ignites it and you see, hear, feel, smell the VROOM.
Are you having problem getting it to CRANK?
or are you having problem getting COMBUSTION

Trey Galindo 01-14-2019 05:03 PM

It cranks

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner (Post 52415928)
Please see signature.
Bump start or pull start or push start is what you do when the truck will not CRANK - meaning the starter will not turn the engine.
COMBUSTION is when you have compression, and air-fuel mixture and Spark ignites it and you see, hear, feel, smell the VROOM.

IT will crank just fine it will only start randomly

toyodabro 02-04-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner (Post 52415928)
Please see signature.

Good lord, how obnoxious. There is a nicer way to go about asking for more information. Honestly.

toyodabro 02-04-2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Trey Galindo (Post 52415924)
I have a 1994 4 runner with the 3.0 in it. It will only have spark sometimes. Sometimes it will start up 10 times in a row and some times it won’t start the next 40 times I try it. But It will start very time if I pull start it? (Bump start) I replaced the coil and it ran but the next time I shut it off the same thing no spark? Any ideas on what to check or replace

Start with the fuses and relays. Work your way down. Is it throwing any codes? Are all the vacuum lines properly connected? Any leaks?

RAD4Runner 02-04-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by toyodabro (Post 52417570)
Good lord, how obnoxious. There is a nicer way to go about asking for more information. Honestly.

No.
If people are trying to help from thousands of miles. Questions and answers need to be EXACT.

toyodabro 02-04-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner (Post 52417572)
No.
If people are trying to help from thousands of miles. Questions and answers need to be EXACT.

I disagree. You can have a dialogue and, in the process, both parties can glean information together. Happens all the time. You're the type of person that makes people not want to come on forums like this. Not to mention, your response to him was insanely condescending. Maybe English isn't OPs first language? Maybe they have limited experience working on cars? The list goes on.

old87yota 02-04-2019 07:44 PM

There are many ways to read the same thing.

You just got to read RAD4Runner's post from a different perspective. Just note that the capital letters in this instance was for emphasis and not yelling. The exactness helps us know that we are on the same page.

However, I do agree more description does help on both sides of the conversation. Sometimes explanations on how to fix a problem are cut so short, it even leaves me scratching my head. :think:

A no crank problem (which ends up being a no start) would lead us down a different diagnostic path than a no-start, but cranks fine problem. We know that the engine cranks just fine, but will not start.

According to the original description, the engine is losing spark intermittently, so our focus should be on the ignition system.

Is spark being lost on all cylinders? If not, which ones?

I suspect spark is being lost from all cylinders given the nature of an engine with a distributor, but it is good to check just in case.

What we need to know now is if the Thread Starter has a multimeter and knows how to use it and also if they know how to read a wiring diagram or not. This information will help us figure out where we need to go from here.

:safari:

RAD4Runner 02-04-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota (Post 52417599)
...if the Thread Starter has a multimeter and knows how to use it and also if they know how to read a wiring diagram or not. This information will help us figure out where we need to go from here...:

There you go!
1) We do not know how much equipment, experience, and knowledge the O.P. has because he did not tell us.
2) The forum is for the benefit of ALL who may wander into each thread in the future.
Therefore, we assume that the reader, including the O.P., is a beginner, and we need to be clear about terminology and description of the problem. Else, a newbie may visit the thread and get confused.