Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cracked Head - Top end replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Head - Top end replacement?

First, I have an 89 4runner, 3.0 v6, 218k with a rebuild at 150k

Was losing coolant and found sludge in the oil cap. Thought it was a gasket, but the machine shop says its a crack in the header(top end). I know I need to replace it, but have a dilema. I have a buddy who may have a head that is still good(but used), off an engine he replaced in his 4runner. Or now that everything is torn down and the gaskets/seals are being replaced, should I just buy a new head for the piece of mind. And while I at it, should I get both?

Would doing only one side have any side effects?

Would getting new heads cause other problems with my engine(because of more compression with new valves or something)?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 AM

Couldn't you just replace the valves and shims in both heads?
If they both were rebuilt, I couldn't see it being a problem (although I am DEFINITLEY no mechanic), just make sure you get both heads resurfaced and checked for warpage.

After you get timing belt on, checking valve clearances would be a must I think.
Also, I would check the cam out of the other head (and your old one as well, if you havn't) just to make sure there are no problems there.

I looked into remanufactured heads, and it definitley was not worth the "piece of mind", but I am kinda cheap, and the heads were not.

good luck, and let me know how it worked out
Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Ya, I'd say get the used head, take off your other head thats still good, take them into a shop and have them both cleaned up, resurfaced, get any bad valves reground, and then throw them back on. I bet the labor on the heads would only be about $200 - $400, and it'll be like having brand new heads. Thats what I'd do, but like the previous post said, Im not a professional mechanic either.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 AM

there are several ways on checking your head gasket : internal damage to water/oil galleries, damage to oil/water intercoolers if fitted, weakened hoses on the cooling system can cause pulsations in the coolant, leaking valve seals may drop oil into the chamebers, poorly bleed cooling systems or systems where there are high loops in the coolant jacket may have some bubbling. there are lots of Toyota parts available, you'll have no difficulties in finding one, just look for a reliable source that won't charge lots of bucks.