YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Components needed for lifting front end ifs (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/components-needed-lifting-front-end-ifs-303434/)

Joeajk 02-12-2018 03:00 PM

Components needed for lifting front end ifs

Hey guys been on yotatech for years and finally found a question I couldn't find a complete awnser for. I have a 93 ifs pickup sitting on 33x12.50 and have been rebuilding it for last year and a half. Practically everything. I've done as much trimming as I can without cutting holes out of body Now I'm on to lifting and not a fan of the rough country, superlift. Blah blah kits. Really just need some tire clearance and a little more stance don't need to be sky high. I'm in the process of 63 spring swap in back and need some kind of list of what I need for front. Do they make drop brackets for a arms and diff drop brackets that are worth a damn for a decent price. No I don't wanna SAS I'm not rock crawling and I don't have the money just need the front up more. Probably gonna get bilestein shocks all around after I get the front end figured out. And I won't just crank torsion bars. I wanna do it right but not sure if I trust just bj spacers.

thefishguy77 02-13-2018 07:12 AM

The typical number i hear for 63's is around 4-6" depending on where/how you mount your hangers. I would think your going to struggle getting that out of the frontend without some sort of traditional lift or long travel lift.

What is your primary use for the rig? Might be a bracket left is your best option. Maybe a long travel if your going to be more of a fast desert style running. Maybe SAS if your going to be crawling.

Joeajk 02-13-2018 08:10 AM

I don't do any rockcrawling besides the occasional creek trip but mostly woods and feild work so I don't have any need for an SAS. I get what you're saying though I like the idea of actually upgrading a arms etc over bjs. Anyone happen to know where I could get just extended a arms and stuff I just don't wanna soend the money on a kit that I won't even use half of but if it comes to it I guess I will

thefishguy77 02-13-2018 08:31 AM

Not that i know of. Most of the time if your doing longer a-arms you will need longer CV Axels,Shocks and mounts etc. probably extending drivelines is in your future with the 63's plus a level front end. IFS isn't cheap or easy to lift and expect it to have even decent road manners.

Your best and probably cheapest option is a used bracket lift. You said you don't like the basic common lifts, but why? I could understand if you were going the wheel it and wanted better performance for a specific type of terrain. But sound like it will be mostly a DD/MallCrawler so a basic lift is probably your best option. Seems like you need to do some searching and find out what you need vs want.

You cant do 4" of BJ spacers and expect not to have serious problems.

Joeajk 02-13-2018 11:50 AM

Yeah I gotcha far as I know I shouldn't need an extended drive shaft with the 63s should I? Figured with them coming stock with the cv driveshaft I should be alright

Joeajk 02-13-2018 11:54 AM

Basically I wanna be able to rip it through some stuff if I need to and I like doing my stuff the right way within a reasonable budget

thefishguy77 02-13-2018 02:02 PM

Well you have several hurdle to overcome. The extended driveshaft is more on the extra distance you put between the T-case and front and rear diff., and less about the type of joint. If your maxed out on distance and you flex your suspension then your either running the risk of separating a 2 piece driveshaft or pulling hard on the output bearing of your T-case and Differentials.

As to doing it right you are going to have to do some work up front to make it match. Like i said bracket lift is probably the best bet for what your looking for. BJ spacers probably wont work. Ling travel A-arms while bad a** are probably the more expensive route. And you stated you don't want to SAS.

Did you do before measurements from center of axle to bottom of fender to see how far you picked it up. That way you know how far you need to lift the front end. If not you can get close on the frontend and then modify the rear spring pack to work.

Joeajk 02-14-2018 05:03 AM

Yeah I was thinking I could keep the rear axle up at far as possible while still being in the wheel wells and then make a bracket to drop the cv on the driveshaft an inch or so

coryc85 02-14-2018 05:37 AM

Personal opinion here, but you said yourself you just want some tire clearance and you are only running 33's. The 63" chevies seems to have backed you in a corner in terms of lifting the front. What I'd do is maybe rethink the 63" springs, go with OME springs in the back, shoot for 2" or so of lift. Use BJ spacers up front. There are mixed opinions on BJ Spacers, but I've had them for a few years with no trouble. I do check that the bolts are tight before every big road trip, I don't go fast and I don't beat hard on it, but it's taken me through some moderately difficult trails just fine. I think for 2" or less of lift, BJ spacers are a perfectly valid option.