86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

clutch Release bearing about to go after 20k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch Release bearing about to go after 20k miles

I just bought a used 1994 toyota pick up with the 3.0, 5 speed one owner with 252k miles on it. After buying it I have noticed a squeeling sound like a belt but learned that once you push the clutch in(even the slightest bit) its stops. I am pretty sure it is the Clutch release bearing but the clutch was done at 230k miles at a toyota dealer(the guy had money and always took it there) I dont see any oil leaks from the motor and cant figure out why it would go out so fast. I called the dealer and asked if when they did the clutch if that bearing was replaced and it was and they are going to be talking to a supervisor about it and calling me back. There is no point in replacing the bearing and not the whole clutch. Does anyone know why it went out so fast or if forsure that is what is making the noise? Thanks

BWT I have the recept for the clutch when it was done at 230k miles it cost the guy $1068
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
my guess you won't be able to figure out unless you take it apart, but there is a chance they did not grease it when they put it in.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Either input shaft bearing or they failed to lubricate the clutch fork properly. Clutch release bearing should not be greased...just the front bearing retainer shaft and release bearing collar.

Clutch release bearing is not engaged when the clutch is not depressed, so if it was the bearing it would make noise when the cluth IS depressed.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:26 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by paulnaney

BWT I have the recept for the clutch when it was done at 230k miles it cost the guy $1068
Holy god! That's why I work on my own stuff...

I had a friend do mine one time b/c I couldn't at $400... That's about as much as I'd EVER pay for a job like that.

And of all the TO bearings I've used, I've never seen one that's greasable...

They might have just put a disc in and re-used the old TO bearing...
Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by PismoJoe
Either input shaft bearing or they failed to lubricate the clutch fork properly. Clutch release bearing should not be greased...just the front bearing retainer shaft and release bearing collar.
yup that's what I meant.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with pismo joe. the release bearing should not be under load until the clutch is pressed in. if it were bad it would be squeaking when the clutch pedal was pushed in. not out. i think you may have another issue here.

the transmission doesnt slip at all does it?

does this squealing noise happen in all gears? if NOT, it may be in the transmission itself. If it IS in all gears then the only other bearings between the crank and the inside of the trans (i.e. always spin no matter what gear) are the pilot bearing and the input bearing.

either way, the trans is coming out to fix this problem. just hope you dont have to go into it.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 PM

So what could it be? It just makes a squeling noise if the clutch is out not to loud but easy to hear and I can hear it in all gear when the clutch is out. As soon as apply any presure to the clutch the noise goes away. So what could it be?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by paulnaney
It just makes a squeling noise if the clutch is out not to loud but easy to hear and I can hear it in all gear when the clutch is out. As soon as apply any presure to the clutch the noise goes away.
THAT's a bad TO bearing... At least in my experience...

With today's cheap parts and global economy it could just be a cheap china part.

Between "Perfection" clutches being the same P# as Napa's, and the cheap china bearings inside, I'm off cheap clutch kits for that vary reason.

It just sucks I don't always have the $$$ to practice what I preach...

OEM parts or nothing...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 10-11-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
A good place to start would be to re-grease the point that the clutch fork pivots off off. You will see what I am talking about when you remove the boot off of the clutch fork and peek inside the bell housing

Spray some type of moly based grease on that point, it tends to get dry after a while, especially if water gets in there.

I really doubt thats its the release bearing, he's saying its making noise when its NOT under load...which is when the bearing isn't spinning...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Noise when not under load would probably be the input bearing. Most don't replace that when they do a clutch, regrettably.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM

Re throwout bearing failing?

Old but useful thread - thank guys. Gonna try Pismojoe's suggestion and regrease the clutch fork and its pivots. There's only 13,000 miles on this Nachi clutch release bearing that's mated with Marlin's Seco-brand 1600lb clutch.

The noise that I've had just barely audible for a little while - off and on - is at idle with no pedals depressed. There's a slight, high-pitched whistle that stops as soon as I just touch the clutch pedal. But the noise tonight started at idle. (This afternoon, I drove 50 miles in 95 degrees with truck loaded.) 6 hours later and 4 miles down the road, it squealed briefly in third gear. Then it went away for 35 miles of highway speeds. When I started shifting through the gears in the neighborhood, almost every clutch depression resulted in a pretty bad squeal. Weird it didn't do with every shift. At least I made it home. Guess we'll see...

Is the Nachi clutch release bearing the best one out there?