Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

This clutch is driving me crazy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This clutch is driving me crazy. Please help

Ok so I have a 1990 Toyota pickup it is driving me crazy . About two months ago I replaced the clutch and wasn't able to shift into any gears. Using this site I found the cause was a broken mount under the dash , I didn't have time to tear it out and fix it completely so basically I rigged it up. It broke in two spots along the fire wall and where it mounts under dash both spots I fixed. Bam it worked no issues... I went the rest of the summer no issues. About four days ago I felt it getting harder to shift and thought, ok my temp job is failing but I checked and there was no flex side to side and no movement. So I replaced the master cylinder and slave cylinder . And also the rubber flex line ... now I have nothing the petal is soft and mussy and light . It is coming back all the way . So I looked at the slave cylinder and it is moving like and inch . So I bleed it more and pumped till my leg was numb. Still nothing at all I'm lost I do t wanna pull the tranny cause it is a new clutch and up till Thursday it was fine... what am I missing ? Oh btw the adjusting rod is fully extended I was trying to get it to push the fork more. Any ideas please
Old 12-02-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Where did you get the Master and Slave cylinders from? Double check that they are the correct parts if you havent already and that the slave cylinder has the same size rod. Also how are you bleeding it? I had better luck bleeding my clutch from the bottom up, opening the slave valve and pushing fluid up through to the master cylinder. Do what you can to make sure that the master cylinder is the highest point in the system to help the air get out. Its very possible you have air in your line still.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:38 PM

It's the second master cylinder the first one , I wasn't happy with and they are the right ones. I got both from napa... how would I bleed it from slave cylinder up?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:51 PM

I have used a syringe with your typical plastic hose attached to the bleeder fitting, its a two person job really. At least it was for me.
  • Put some appropriately sized hose on the end of the syrince that will make a nice seal on the syringe tip and the bleeder nozzle.
  • Suck up a tube full of fluid
  • crack open the bleeder valve on your slave cylinder.
  • Attach the other end of the hose from your syringe to the valve, but be careful here. I try to squeeze all of the air out of the hose just as I am slipping the hose onto the bleeder so your not introducing any air into the system as you inject it. Make sure your syringe is completely full of fluid with no air at this point.
  • With the lid off your master cylinder reservoir slowly start injecting fluid from the slave cylinder.
  • Air and fluid will start coming out of your master cylinder, it helps to have someone up top ready to remove excess fluid so you dont overfill and spill it.
  • I like to tap on the slave cylinder and line running up to the MC to help free air bubbles that might be stuck as im doing it. Makes me feel better at least
  • Dont forget to close the bleeder valve before removing the syringe or else air can get sucked in there.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:54 PM

I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens. I mean it seems like a hydraulic issue rather then the clutch but I'm not sure, I mean could it be a bad clutch ?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:04 PM

It could be both at this point, its hard to say, or even a transmission issue. What did it feel like when it was hard to shift? I have not actually had a clutch go out on me before.. or a clutch Master/Slave. Just my brake master cylinder, and when that was going out i would lose all pressure on the pedal when trying to stop sometimes. Scary. Switch that one out quick.

So you said it was 'hard to shift', this could be caused by your clutch not releasing all the way, likely from one of your hydraulics going out. From what I understand if your clutch is going out you should feel it starting to slip, especially in high gears or when accelerating hard.

I would say that if you were pumping your clutch till your leg was numb and it never got hard, you definitely have air in there at least. Doesn't necessarily rule out a clutch or something else though. Start with trying to get that clutch feeling correct, does it feel nice and firm right now all the way from the top of the pedal travel?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 PM

The clutch was slipping on me a few months ago so I replaced it. That's when I started having the shifting issues until I fixed the bracket. Then it just randomly went out , I mean it wasn't fully out till I replaced everything. My guess is it does have air in it... and when it just started to go it would just need alittle extra effort to get into gear... then I lost it completely once I replaced everything ... I have plenty on the clutch I can feel that. I just do t k ow if a broken clutch plate could cause this to. The petal is soft , like I can press it more then half way before I feel and resistance
Old 12-02-2016, 05:11 PM

Sounds like air is in there then, especially if you have your adjuster screw all the way out and your still not getting pressure on your pedal until half way through the stroke. Good luck with the reverse bleed!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I wonder if some how you could possibly getting some air back in the lines. I seen you replaced the cylinders from Napa. I would make sure I was getting Aisin cylinders. You can find them on line. Part store replacements seem to cause me issues unless it is a factory part.