Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clogged catilytic converter

Old 04-08-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clogged catilytic converter

hey guys, i think my catilytic converter is clogged, last weekend i hit the trail and i have this small hole in the rear of my muffler. well the water level was to the bottom of the door. well i did not drive my truck this week and i started it today and the engine chuggs, it wont really go when i gas it but it will idle ok. it's struggleing but stays on. do you guys think the catilytic converter is clogged. i've had an issue with this before, here is what hapened. it was at the shop for a week and when i picked it up this same thing happened. so we took off the converter and blew air through it. put that thing back on and it worked. any suggestions would be great....thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by funrunner91
hey guys, i think my catilytic converter is clogged, last weekend i hit the trail and i have this small hole in the rear of my muffler. well the water level was to the bottom of the door. well i did not drive my truck this week and i started it today and the engine chuggs, it wont really go when i gas it but it will idle ok. it's struggleing but stays on. do you guys think the catilytic converter is clogged. i've had an issue with this before, here is what hapened. it was at the shop for a week and when i picked it up this same thing happened. so we took off the converter and blew air through it. put that thing back on and it worked. any suggestions would be great....thanks
If it doesn't give you a check engine light, I believe you maybe right, or you may just have bad gas/fuel filter,e.t.c.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:49 PM

i've wanted to change that fuel filter last time it happened, but could not take the darn thing off. yes, there is no check engine light. i'm gonna go for changing the catilytic converter. i saw a thread around here of some guy on ebay selling the for $59 it's a magnaflow converter. anyone know what this size is that i ask for, i will go measure it right now.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:07 PM

I had my cat break apart in my 95runner, the chunks got lodged in the tailpipe sideways, I had the same symptons you have. Could be the rapid cooling from the water caused the cat to break apart.

Since you didn't say what engine you have here is the link to the app page for magnaflow. Summit has them as cheap as I have found.

http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/applicationfinder.aspx

good luck

Last edited by 4x4nala; 04-08-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:22 PM

3.0 i took the cat off and it is not broken but very black. when i had the truck on it was blowing out a bit of black smoke, not much till it got hot
Old 04-09-2006, 12:10 PM

oh brother....i put my exaust back together and started it, truck would putt putt. so i gave it some gas for a few seconds, it felt like it blew something out of the exaust, so now i can rev it and drive it. well after i drove it around the block it was blowing a tiny bit of black smoke at idle speed. and when i'm fully stoped it would putt putt. i'm sure it the exaust everything else works just fine as usual. so i tring to but a magnaflow catilytic converter and muffler, do you guys think ebay should be a good place to get this.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by funrunner91
so i tring to but a magnaflow catilytic converter and muffler, do you guys think ebay should be a good place to get this.
I think that means you want to buy a magnaflow cat??? I bought mine off summit....Ebay and summit prices are usually similar but summit has the $10 handeling fee....

You might make sure no pieces of the cat got pushed thru the tailpipe to the muffler are. The black smoke is a bit odd...