YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Clicking noise from rear end? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/clicking-noise-rear-end-77735/)

yota7 02-01-2006 12:03 PM

Clicking noise from rear end?

hey, i got a 92 toy truck 4x4 and these past couple of days it has been making a clicking sound from the rear end. i also have noticed that is has a little bit of vibration going down the road so i think it is the u-joint. just figured i ask you guys first.

bryan

Elton 02-01-2006 03:13 PM

sounds like the u-joint

Flamedx4 02-01-2006 03:19 PM

Could be a Honda wedged under there....

yota7 02-06-2006 08:18 AM

lol, i wish it was a honda under there. it has gotten alot louder and now it is more of a squealing sound and it is only when it is under a load, like when i give her some gas. could it possibly be the wheel bearings?

bryan

trythis 02-06-2006 09:04 AM

could be the drive shaft bearing if you have a 2 piece. Hopefully not your differential, try draining the fluid and look at the magnetic bolt insert and see if it is covered in metal slivers, if it could be that, anyway.

yota7 02-06-2006 10:13 AM

i kinda was thinking that it was the driveshaft bearing, i can hear it really good on the driver side, and sounds like it is close to the driveline. its starting piss me off cause it is really getting loud.

bryan

84sr5yoty 02-06-2006 06:21 PM

I had a bad u joint that would squeal when under a load and when I dumped the clutch. The clicking noise pretty much gives it away that it's a u joint. Make sure your problem it's a u joint first as center bearings are expensive.

kyle_22r 02-06-2006 06:28 PM

i had a click in my rear end that came out of nowhere one day. got louder and louder the closer i got to home -- turned out that my pinion had failed and 3 teeth were in the bottom.

mnarcticcat 02-07-2006 04:00 AM

This sounds similar to what I'm experiencing.

I have a 97 4Runner Limited (4x4), I've been experiencing a scraping, rattling, & vibration (the vibration is only @ highway speeds). This noise as far as I can tell is coming from either below me or in the rear end somewhere.

It started out as a little noise, I could only hear the rattling when you stopped & took off. Now I can hear & feel all of this at highways speeds. The vehicle now has 174,000 miles on it. I'm mechanical to a point, but this is beyond my skills.

Any advice from my fellow Toyota Friends would be completely appreciated!

Take Care,
MnArcticCat

kyle_22r 02-07-2006 09:38 AM

that sounds more like the symptom of a bad u-joint. bad vibes at certain speeds(mine would really come on strong around 60mph, but at 55 it'd be fine)

mnarcticcat 02-07-2006 10:03 AM

Do you think this has anything to do with installing OME Coil Springs back in November?

yota7 02-07-2006 10:17 AM

i took at greased my u-joints last night but they still are doing it. i am going to take and get new u-joints within the next week or so. this sound it getting really annoying, now it is just a constant squeak, and it does vibrate when i go down the road, and when i take off it vibrates pretty bad.

bryan

DanPhillippi 06-12-2014 04:56 PM

I had a clicking noise on my left rear for about a month. (toyota yaris) I talked with a guy that had the same problem and he said he fixed it by tightening or adjusting the e-break in the drum. I watched some youtube videos of people doing it, and i didn't want to mess with it. I was getting my car deep cleaned while i was reading a bunch of forums about this issue. when i got back into my car, the clicking was gone. wtf? guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

PS the car doesn't get a ton of use and it hadn't been cleaned for about 6 months