Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

checking fuel pressure

Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
checking fuel pressure

1989 Toyota 4x4 with 22RE engine.I changed fuel filter which was pretty bad stopped up,and now its running rough.Im thinking fuel pump might be giving up because of the stopped up filter.I want to check the fuel pressure and was wondering if there is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail or fuel line to hook up a fuel pressure gauge.any replies appreciated
Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
No schrader valve. You'll need the banjo bolt fitting, shown with the red cap in this Actron kit: http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16173 (the fitting is available separately if you already have the gauge.)

Before you do that, you can approximately check the performance of the pump by putting the return line from the Fuel Pressure Regulator into a solid container (gas can?). Start the pump (but not the engine) by using the FP and B+ connector on the diagnostic port. You should get a good stream of gasoline out of the FPR at all times. If the fuel pump can quite keep up, the stream will stop.

You might also want to check each cylinder (pull the plug wire while running) to see if the roughness is limited to one. You could have knocked some crud loose and it's now blocking an injector.

Last edited by scope103; 11-19-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply and I will do the check with the return line.I was also thinking some crud might be clogging an injector so if the first check is ok I will move to the injectors.Thanks for the help
Old 11-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have seen a lot of dirty fuel systems in these trucks starting from the tank to the injector. The fuel pump has a filter on the end of it and it can get a varnish around it that can slow fuel flow down.

The tank can look rusty but is only build up inside the tank. It will look like rust, but it will be flaky on the sides of the tank and have veins running along the bottom or just a thick layer on the bottom. You will swear it is rust. From my experience on rusty tanks, is mostly on the pickup as mud will sit on the top of the tank and that is where you will get rust holes.

I would bet your Return line is clogged going from the Fuel Pump Assembly all the way to the Fuel Rail exit port. The fuel rail can have some build up in it as well.

I get an injector kit off of ebay that has the seals and screens. The screens can be changed or cleaned. I get the kit from the seller dimarmotorsportsllc
To test or clean an injector, I use a syringe with a rubber hose, filled with injector cleaner and flush the injector both ways starting at the input side and by touching the leads of the injectors with a 9 volt battery (little square battery) for a second at a time it will flush and let you know if the injector is working. I also flush it from the reverse direction.

In my Tools, Tips, and Tricks link below, there is some information on using an LED to see if the injector is receiving the signal. The wiring harness has some poorly designed crimps in it that I would suggest to remove and solder the wires together.