86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing timing belt, water pump, power steering_'94 6cyl

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing timing belt, water pump, power steering_'94 6cyl

I am about to embark on changing the timing belt, water pump and power steering on my '94 6-cylinder 4WD. Along the way, I will probably change out the plugs, distributor cap and plug wires.

Is there any other replacements I should consider given the pending disassembling of parts?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 AM

Forgot to mention, I will also be changing out the radiator and switching to the red fluid.

I have about 212k on the truck. Bought from an owner (2nd owner) who did not know if the previous owner had changed the timing belt. About the only thing I know was done was a new clutch was installed along with new belts.

I don't have much experience working on this truck, so any suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome. There's an upper idler pulley that you will want to check.
The bearings go out in them.
Also, the cooling fan bracket has a bearing that goes out as well.

If you do a search on timing belt replacement there's some good info.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 AM

If you're doing a t-belt and water pump, might as well change the thermostat since you're there. Like Marc said, check your idler pulley bearing and also the tensioner for wear.

You can spin your fan clutch to check for resistance. There are some guides in the forum to help you determine if it needs replacement or not based on your results. You can also check the condition of your radiator hoses since you'll be pulling out the radiator.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:17 AM

Thank you Marc, CharlieHustle. Those are some excellent tips. I bought a kit that has an Aisin pump, gasket, timing belt, and two honking big things that I don't have a name for, but are in all the pictures. Separate from that kit, I got a gasket set, Toyota thermostat. I figured I might even just continue taking the intake manifold off (is that what it's called - to get to the valve covers) to change the valve cover gaskets. It sounds like, from what I've read, if I go that far I should just go ahead and replace the "pig tail" and some switch thingamajig the pig tail connects to.

Any other ideas appreciated!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:18 AM

Thank you Marc, CharlieHustle. Those are some excellent tips. I bought a kit that has an Aisin pump, gasket, timing belt, and two honking big things that I don't have a name for, but are in all the pictures. Separate from that kit, I got a gasket set, Toyota thermostat. I figured I might even just continue taking the intake manifold off (is that what it's called - to get to the valve covers) to change the valve cover gaskets. It sounds like, from what I've read, if I go that far I should just go ahead and replace the "pig tail" and some switch thingamajig the pig tail connects to.

Any other ideas appreciated!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:36 AM
bg_

If I were you, I would leave the valve cover gaskets for another time if they aren't leaking. Taking off the intake means taking off the fuel rails/ injectors, needing new crush washers, etc. I think you could do the belt and water pump/pulleys without even taking off the plenum...MUCH easier.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:23 PM

The VC gaskets don't require removal of the entire manifold, just the plenum. Not a terrible job, but not one I would do voluntarily if they're not currently leaking. If you're gung-ho to do the knock sensor pigtail then yes, you're stuck pulling the whole manifold.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:02 AM

BG, Fraser: Many thanks for word on the plenum. I had no idea you could "flip it over" after taking off the connectors (hoses, bolts). I definitely will go that way for the VC gaskets and just leave that mess with the pig tail. Not having a problem with it anyway.