YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Changing timing belt. 89 3.0. Help. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/changing-timing-belt-89-3-0-help-307582/)

Chick-N-Picker 05-01-2019 10:46 AM

Changing timing belt. 89 3.0. Help.

Ok so I got a broke timing belt. I was following a 2 part video off youtube and everything was going accordingly until I went to set it in time the 1st time like the video. My timing belt is broke and shredded. So when I set the lower cam shaft to 0 it did not turn the passenger side cam gear. The driver side was already on the mark.

So I tried to turn the passenger side cam gear with a socket on the bolt. It just goes back to where it was. Surely y'all know what I mean by that. So should I turn the lower cam gear back off the 0 to where it was? If so should I go in reverse ir just all the way around?

Also did it not turn the upper cam gear because the belt is broke or internal damage? I just need help on what to do. I can take a video or pictures of my truck if it helps.

And if anybody is curious to the YT video.....you can watch it all or fast forward to ca. 6:35. THANK YOU.

https://youtu.be/SoAaa6XKPCY

Kolton5543 05-01-2019 11:29 AM

The lower cam gear you are referring to is the crank. Leave it at 0 the entire time. The other gears wont turn because there is no belt on it. The belt is what connects the three together. The cam gears should stay when lined up with their marks. They can be tricky sometimes. I often have to go just a tad further past the mark to get them to stay then bump them back when I put the belt on. Also, you should never turn the cam backwards long distances. On the 3.0 its not a big deal but on some engines the cam profile can be too steep going backwards and can cause damage.

Chick-N-Picker 05-01-2019 01:36 PM

So it's Ok to put a socket and bar on the passenger side cam gear nut and force it to turn to the timing mark? Like you do the crank? This stuff is new to me and I really don't want to screw it up.

Sorry about calling the crank cam. Was typing in a hurry and just said lower cam hahaha.

Chick-N-Picker 05-02-2019 10:03 AM

So since my timing belt is broke I can just turn the passenger side cam by hand with a socket to get it lined up?

Also how do I know the crank and everythibg is at the correct position. It's at 0 but I was reading about it being between compression, exhaust, etc.

When I started this from that video posted I thought for sure this would be so straight forward.

scope103 05-02-2019 11:49 AM

"Compression" and "exhaust" don't mean anything UNTIL the timing belt is hooked up. Just make sure that the crank is pointing at "0", and the the two cam sprockets have their marks pointing up when the belt is finally on. http://web.archive.org/web/201204051...67timingbe.pdf You can turn the cam sprockets all you want (the 3VZE is a "non-interference" engine), but you're best off turning them in the direction they usually turn. In most cases, you'll have to turn them a little to get them on the belt, because the valve springs will rotate the cam a bit. Install the tensioner, then turn the crank through two revolutions. You should get the crank and cam sprockets back where they started.

Many timing belts come with marks as a convenience for installation. Just remember that when you turn the crank to run the belt around, it will NOT line up again until you've gone through about 100 turns (in gearing, this is called a "hunting" pattern). The marks are just for putting it on initially.

Chick-N-Picker 05-07-2019 03:32 PM

Ok so I finally had time to go turn the passenger cam by. I turned it once and it was still we before timing mark. Turned it twice and it went well past timing mark. How do I get this thing on the mark when the belt is broke? If I put the belt on as is it will never be in time, or am I wrong.

The other cam and crank shaft marks are perfectly on the timing marks.

Do I have to take the pressure off the cam/valve spring so I can turn it to it's mark? How do I do that?

I went into this feeling so good, it seemed so straight forward but now I'm feeling like I just don't know what to do without somebody willing to help me out with patience. I have never messed with setting the timing.

akwheeler 05-07-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker (Post 52423523)
Ok so I finally had time to go turn the passenger cam by. I turned it once and it was still we before timing mark. Turned it twice and it went well past timing mark. How do I get this thing on the mark when the belt is broke? If I put the belt on as is it will never be in time, or am I wrong.

The other cam and crank shaft marks are perfectly on the timing marks.

Do I have to take the pressure off the cam/valve spring so I can turn it to it's mark? How do I do that?

I went into this feeling so good, it seemed so straight forward but now I'm feeling like I just don't know what to do without somebody willing to help me out with patience. I have never messed with setting the timing.

you need to turn the cam with a socket and a breaker bar, not a ratchet so that you can hold it at the correct timing mark and then slip the new belt on with everything else lined up as well.
I seem to remember the driver side cam will stay where you put it and just the passenger side needs to be held in place due to the valve springs trying to roll the cam where they want.

Chick-N-Picker 05-07-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler (Post 52423527)
you need to turn the cam with a socket and a breaker bar, not a ratchet so that you can hold it at the correct timing mark and then slip the new belt on with everything else lined up as well.
I seem to remember the driver side cam will stay where you put it and just the passenger side needs to be held in place due to the valve springs trying to roll the cam where they want.

Oh really, ok. I'll just turn the pass cam back around and do that then. That is not too bad at all. I think I can manage that if that's all you have to do.

Chick-N-Picker 05-08-2019 12:13 PM

Ok I have another question. When I hold the cam at the mark and get the belt on & spin the engine over twice. Then put everything back together, am I ready to crank up and drive? Is that all there is?

scope103 05-08-2019 01:07 PM

Uh, I''m not sure what you mean.

Here's the FSM. http://web.archive.org/web/201204051...67timingbe.pdf I don't think you can go wrong following that.

Chick-N-Picker 05-08-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52423567)
Uh, I''m not sure what you mean.

Here's the FSM. http://web.archive.org/web/201204051...67timingbe.pdf I don't think you can go wrong following that.

I'm confused since my belt was broken. 16 a. & b.

My crankshaft is at 0 amd my drivers side cam is on the mark. When I turned the passenger cam it stopped short of the mark, turned it again amd it went past the mark. Then Akwheeler said a couple post ago just hold it in place at the mark and slip the belt on. I've asked this question in two toyota forums amd people don't seem to understand what I'm asking. Maybe I haven't asked it the correct way.

If my belt is broke how do I get the timing mark of the passenger cam to line up? Like the FSM said at 16 a. & b?

If I put a belt on and spin it all day, the passenger side cam mark will never line up. It has to be on the mark when the belt goes on.

Thank you.....and I'm sorry I'm kind of new to this timing stuff.

scope103 05-08-2019 03:09 PM

If your timing belt was broken, you don't care about 16a and 16b. The belt is already off, and you'll need to "re-time" it.

So go to step 8 of installation. The crankshaft will stay put once you rotate it to 0. The cams, because of the spring tension of the valves, won't always stay put on their marks. But no matter, just thread the new belt up from the crank to the driver's side (left) cam sprocket, and use a wrench to turn the sprocket so that it's in the right place once you get the belt on. Repeat for the passenger side (right). Then work the belt down around the tensioner, and install the tensioner.

You should be all set, but there's a small possibility that one of the sprockets jumped a tooth when you weren't looking (those little devils!) Turning the crank two turns helps smooth out any thing that got bunched up, and all three marks should line up every time you turn the crank twice.

akwheeler 05-08-2019 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker (Post 52423570)
I'm confused since my belt was broken. 16 a. & b.

My crankshaft is at 0 amd my drivers side cam is on the mark. When I turned the passenger cam it stopped short of the mark, turned it again amd it went past the mark. Then Akwheeler said a couple post ago just hold it in place at the mark and slip the belt on. I've asked this question in two toyota forums amd people don't seem to understand what I'm asking. Maybe I haven't asked it the correct way.

If my belt is broke how do I get the timing mark of the passenger cam to line up? Like the FSM said at 16 a. & b?

If I put a belt on and spin it all day, the passenger side cam mark will never line up. It has to be on the mark when the belt goes on.

Thank you.....and I'm sorry I'm kind of new to this timing stuff.

Um, yeah, don't turn everything, just turn the crank shaft by itself to line up it's own mark, then turn the drivers side cam shaft by itself to line up that mark then string the belt over both of those (tight between the two) and when you get to putting it on the passenger side cam shaft you will have to turn that by itself and hold it in place while you put the belt on it. just make sure when everything comes tight that all three are at their marks and all the slack is on the tensioner side. install the tensioner and rotate everything by turning the crankshaft two full turns and recheck your marks.