Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CE at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CE at highway speeds

22RE/auto Sunrader RV.

Took my first trip in my "new" Sunrader. 37K miles runs like new! Put 600 miles on it this weekend going to Northern Vermont. Driving on state highway, which is where this thing is at home, no issues. Cruising along 45-55, mostly in OD unless climbing hills. But on the highway after extended hi load driving, alternating between 3rd and OD, I would get a steady CE. Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. Backing off, running slower, the CE goes away. This is my second Sunrader. My first would routinely do 16-17 mpg. On the hiway I got 13-14.

My guess is an O2 sensor that is on its way out. Extended runs at high load put enough stress on it to throw a CE light. And the result is it is running a bit rich. This could explain the mpg being a bit off. When I stuck to the state 2 lanes mileage climbed to about 16. I have been told by a friend, don't waste money on an aftermarket O2 sensor, go with the Nippon Denso.

Any recommendations welcomed.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I assume "CE" is short for MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light. You need to check for codes; many are stored.
http://web.archive.org/web/201410310...26diagnosi.pdf
(The Special Service Tool is a paperclip. Well, there really is such a tool, but everyone here uses a paperclip.)

The O2 sensor is as good a guess as any. I would usually pooh-pooh guesses, but at the age of your rig the sensor is a maintenance item. And Denso is probably the best choice, so go ahead and do it.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ntk makes good sensors, too

only 37k miles? what year is the rig? perhaps the sensor is actually working correctly and it's actually just running a bit lean under more stressful loads...eg. fuel system a tad compromised from older vehicle with little use and therefore injecting more fuel to help compensate
Old 05-31-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point about the injectors. This thing did sit for about 8 years, started very infrequently. I had to change the tank and fuel pump due to sitting with a 1/4 tank of very old bad gas. Makes sens that some of that crap was in the injector lines. I do believe I read somewhere about having the injectors flushed. I will do that.

BTW, it is a 1987 Toyota Sunrader RV on an '86 cab&chassis.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
well, there ya go. the pintle style injectors are the first design for efi and more prone to clogging, anyway. if that thing sat for any appreciable time, then definitely have the injectors serviced.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
No codes?