86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Catback Exhaust size....3.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Catback Exhaust size....3.0

I'm eventually going to have a fully mandrel (custom) bent catback exhaust done on my 3.0. It will be done with 304 stainless steel and a Borla turbo muffler.

I'm just curious what size you guys think I should go with. The exhaust that Borla makes for the catback system they used to sell with the 4runner uses a Borla Turbo muffler, and 2 1/4" tubing. By the sounds of his write up it sounds like he likes it.

I was thinking about going with 2 1/4" but want to see if there are any ideas out there about other sizes. For example the stock exhaust is 1 7/8" if I'm not mistaken, and it's pressure bent. So you have pressure bent, smaller pipe, with a quiet stock muffler. I was wondering if 2" mandrel bent pipe with a relatively high flow muffler like the Borla would make a difference, or if you think I should just step it up to 2 1/4" ? I'm just thinking about Torque and things like that. The other thing is I 'think' you can get oddball sizes like 2 1/8" on special order and I wonder if I should do 2 1/8" to the muffler and then 2 1/4" out or something like that? Thoughts? Remember it will be mandrel bent on a mandrel bender so that alone could make a difference...
Old 08-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran the Borla cat back (2 and 1/4 as you correctly stated) with a high flow stainless cat for 10 years and about 165K miles. It sounds fantastic--not loud but very mellow and non-metallic sounding if that makes sense. I sold it when I gutted the undercarriage of my rig for the rebuild.
I now have a very trick fully stainless 2 and 1/2" custom mandrel bent exhaust with clearance in the rocks in mind-- I also added a fully custom set of equal length headers that were ceramic coated. I am running a very cool, low profile and compact Flowmaster stainless muffler and deleted the cat since the rig is registered in a rural Colorado county with no emissions requirements.
I can describe the current sound only as sounding "open" and metallic. It is what I would consider loud and slightly obnoxious--but then again a 4Runner on 40's should sound slightly obnoxious in my opinion.
Power is up by my seat of the pants estimation especially considering that I have added almost a thousand pounds of mass to an already underpowered rig. It revs more happily than stock and pulls strong.
For a mostly stock rig, I cannot imagine a more perfect cat back system for the 3.0 than the one offered by Borla. Worth every penny--at least in 1995 dollars it was. LOL