86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Carbon fiber hood with scoop for 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon fiber hood with scoop for 2nd gen

Is there a company that sells one or does anyone on the forum mold carbon fiber?

Jason
Old 07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

I dont think its worth it on a 2nd gen.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

trying to lose weight on a suv in general is a bit silly.... Now if you are in it for the aesthetics, I have to ask why carbon fiber? It looks awful. I do like the scoops though!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:06 PM

Option #2....Buy a new/used scoop hood, use a saw add a welder, then a little sanding. Time to kick it up a notch.....*BAM*..........you got one

I wish they did make one, us second gen'ers have scoop envy.

search for a supra swap and one of the guys that do the swap did the fab'ing like I said earlier, looks pretty cool.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by muddy_feet
Option #2....Buy a new/used scoop hood, use a saw add a welder, then a little sanding. Time to kick it up a notch.....*BAM*..........you got one

I wish they did make one, us second gen'ers have scoop envy.

search for a supra swap and one of the guys that do the swap did the fab'ing like I said earlier, looks pretty cool.

you would be refferring to Rob, the owner of supracharged.com and the inspiration for like 75% of my mods, ill save you the time searching since i know where the pics are

Old 07-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Close.... I forgot about that one but this is the one I was thinking about

I still have scoop envy.....

"search" teamshiftpoint....it has a few more pictures.

Last edited by muddy_feet; 07-06-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by TRunner
trying to lose weight on a suv in general is a bit silly.... Now if you are in it for the aesthetics, I have to ask why carbon fiber? It looks awful. I do like the scoops though!

I don't think putting on a carbon fiber hood would be silly. 4Runner bodies are heavy. I'm not doing it for a performance mod or anything either. I could be wrong but I thought it would help the engine run cooler? Bash on me for that if you want but I dont know the answer so I'm trying to find out. I'm not good enough with tools and the like to add one myself, and I'm certainly not paying someone to custom mold one for hundreds of dollars. I could buy one already made if someone made one and just sell my old one to a junk yard or something for a little bit of money back.

I have a black 4Runner. I wouldn't really mind the minor difference in the hood and the rest of the car cause the hood is usually not the focal point.

People do things in different ways than others. It may take longer, but hey, thats how I roll.

Jason

Last edited by 4RocRunner92; 07-07-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the info so far guys, I'll let you know my progress.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:01 AM

Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vato Loco
DAAMMMNNNN !!!

Now that's one tricked 'Runner.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by kevin444
I dont think its worth it on a 2nd gen.
Are you trying to start some S**T, or is it merely penis envy as you would'nt have your updated version of the 2nd. gen. (which is all the 2000 is) but for the original SR5!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:18 AM

"4RocRunner", you go ahead with your hood scoop mod as it will definitely increase engine cooling capability.

I'm looking around myself for an aftermarket kit that I can put on mine as well, both for the practical application of additional cooling, as well as the "boost factor" of merely having a scoop (good for at least 10+ horsepower ).

Nay, I say to all nay sayers!

Last edited by 94x4; 07-07-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 AM

Hell yeah, just like 311 says.
"____ the nay sayers cause they don't mean a thing. 'Cause this is what style we bring."

Edited for language.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 07-10-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
I don't think putting on a carbon fiber hood would be silly. 4Runner bodies are heavy. I'm not doing it for a performance mod or anything either. I could be wrong but I thought it would help the engine run cooler? Bash on me for that if you want but I dont know the answer so I'm trying to find out.
No bashings from me, but I am a bit confused now. Do you want it for performance (meaning lighter weight) or not? It won't do anything for the way your engine runs. A scoop would push more air over your block (actually more like your EFI), but being that it is a water cooled engine, you won't see any difference in temperature. Some scoops (not these for the most part) are used for air induction and at higher speeds create a ram-air effect. A scoop these days is mere aesthetics. You don't need a carbon fiber hood for a scoop though. You can slap a metal scoop on a metal hood just fine. To use carbon fiber is really pointless on a rig like this. You would get more weight reduction out of removing your spare tire or rear seat or something. Unless you like the gaudy looks of carbon fiber, the only reason to use it would be for weight reduction and to blow some money.

I'm not good enough with tools and the like to add one myself, and I'm certainly not paying someone to custom mold one for hundreds of dollars. I could buy one already made if someone made one and just sell my old one to a junk yard or something for a little bit of money back.
There are some problems with your reasoning here, I think. For starters, if you could afford a custom carbon fiber hood, you could afford to have somone add a scoop to your hood. Also, a junk yard will probably only give you about $20 for a used hood, at most.

I have a black 4Runner. I wouldn't really mind the minor difference in the hood and the rest of the car cause the hood is usually not the focal point.
Just my opnion, but the hood is a very noticeable part on any vehicle and is the center of your focal point when viewing it from any semi-front to front end angle. Also carbon fiber is a plaid/checker pattern and while be a big difference from any solid color.

People do things in different ways than others. It may take longer, but hey, thats how I roll.
Then roll with it and hold your head high. I am not frowning on your decisions, just giving you my personal advise. Take it for what it is worth. As for taking longer, I'm not sure how we got on the topic of time frames of getting anything done. In fact, buying a special made carbon fiber hood would take a few minutes to swap out while modifying your existing metal hood will take a few days being that they have to cut it, weld it, grind it, bondo it, paint it, and clear coat it. So in turn... my suggestion will take longer. But I think you have quite a misconception of your goals. Keep asking questions, though, and don't get discouraged by my posts. Like I said, take them for what they are worth, advice, not criticism.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Hi
If you are doing it for looks only, check out this website. Its all fiberglass stuff, but you might find something you like. http://www.hannemannfiberglass.com/index.html
Old 07-07-2005, 03:49 PM

Thats why I say this stuff is because I don't know. I try to get the right information but i mean, i can't just ask anyone. I say stupid shi*t sometimes. Yea, I got discouraged by your post, even though it was helpful. Just gave me that feeling. I appreciate the help. I don't really know much about this stuff and I think about my car a lot cause I just want it to run right so I'm not always fixing it like I always am.

Yea, there is probably something wrong with my reasoning. I got a lot of ˟˟˟˟˟ I have to think about. I think fast and most of the time don't think enough about something before I act.

I don't know, i'm probably typing all this cause im buzzed but whatever. You gotta know the facts to understand the situation.

Jason
Old 07-08-2005, 04:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94x4
it will definitely increase engine cooling capability.
I have to ask why? From my understanding, a water cooled engine gets cooled by air passing through the radiator and cooling the liquid surrounding the block. You can blow air over them all day and not get noticeably cooler. Or am I wrong here?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:33 AM

TRunner, well for one he's got a black 'Runner, so the black/grey natural coloration of the carbon fiber would look exceptionally good against it and fit right in.
For another, have'nt you ever had cause to raise the hood on your ride after trekking across town or something and felt the blast furnace of heat that came wafting up off of the engine ??
Does'nt it appear to you that it would be a good idea to find some way to alleviate and/or vent (as the case may be) that excessive heat ???
That the installation of a hood scoop would increase both the around engine air circulation during driving, as well as the ventilation of built up heat from said driving (since hot air rises), seems to be an obvious, inarguable conclusion and if one were able to do it in an aesthetically fashionable way that also reduces weight and is guaranteed to add a few sporty/horsepower points to the ride at the same time, well then more power to 4RocRunner92.
And yes, TRunner, the scoop would increase overall engine cooling if by no other method than reducing the amout of retained heat. I really don't see the validity of your "no heat reduction" argument and don't understand how you can see any yourself.
It's looks almost as if you're perhaps a bit jealous that 4Roc came up with and posted the idea before you, afterall you've gone to rather extensive lengths to discourage the guy (just look at your posts), but he's still right and if he goes ahead with the mod, he'll be the first one on the block to have it and not you.

Last edited by 94x4; 07-08-2005 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Banned

TRunner, well for one he's got a black 'Runner, so the black/grey natural coloration of the carbon fiber would look exceptionally good against it and fit right in.
Nothing to do with heat reduction and is your opinion. It's good to have opinions, just yours differs from mine. Just because the two may have a similar color does not mean it will look good to everyone nor does it mean it matches or blends with the rest of the vehicle.

For another, haven't you ever had cause to raise the hood on your ride after trekking across town or something and felt the blast furnace of heat that came wafting up off of the engine ??
Doesn't it appear to you that it would be a good idea to find some way to alleviate and/or vent (as the case may be) that excessive heat ???
I'll agree it will let heat escape easier from the engine compartment, but with a water cooled block, the only thing that keeps the engine cool is the temperature of the fluid used to cool the block. If you don't get that fluid cool through a radiator, you aren't lowering it's temperature noticeably one bit. Anyone with a solid comprehension of air cooled v. water cooled blocks will understand that.

that also reduces weight
Like I said before, if you want to reduce weight on a 4Runner, take off the spare tire or remove some seats. The truck would not notice a weight reduction of the hood.

and is guaranteed to add a few sporty/horsepower points to the ride at the same time
You will need to show me some proof of how adding a scoop to your hood will offer horsepower gains. That is like saying painting it red will make it go faster.

the scoop would increase overall engine cooling if by no other method than reducing the amout of retained heat. I really don't see the validity of your "no heat reduction" argument and don't understand how you can see any yourself.
Try this experiment out for me... disconnect your radiator and set up a couple box fans over your engine bay. Start your engine and let it run. Let me know of your results.
Point being, air over the engine block makes almost no difference on a water cooled block.

It's looks almost as if you're perhaps a bit jealous that 4Roc came up with and posted the idea before you, afterall you've gone to rather extensive lengths to discourage the guy (just look at your posts), but he's still right and if he goes ahead with the mod, he'll be the first one on the block to have it and not you.

Look, if he wants to spend money on a carbon fiber hood with a scoop to get horsepower gains, reduce weight of his truck, and keep his block cooler, then so be it. He might also be interested in buying some land on Mars or beachfront property in Arizona.
If he wants it for aesthetics, then
All I was trying to do was help him with a little bit of ignorance he had on the scoop. It seems you could use some of this knowledge as well. I love the amount of knowledge I have obtained from this site. I wouldn't have been able to do my full engine rebuild without this site as I was ignorant to a lot about this engine prior to listening to some in here. But if you want to start claiming that someone trying to clarify things for him is jealous of his idea that the someone doesn't even really agree with, well that is just heading in the wrong direction with this conversation.

4RocRunner92: Like I said before, I like the look of scoops and plan on making one of my own with fiberglass for my existing hood. It will be for aesthetics only, though. So if that is your reasoning, then run wild with it. But if you think you are getting any functionality out of it without running your induction to it, then you are going to be disappointed. But you never know, placeboes do have an effect on some folks in laboratory studies.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:41 AM

Yes, the carbon fiber looking good on his 'Runner is my opinion and like everyone else, I'm entitled to it.
Yes, I am aware that the engine is water cooled, no argument there and perhaps it is that you've misunderstood this. I've only stipulated that increasing the air flow in the engine compartment would increase heat dissapation as the radiant heating produced by the engine's operation would be better relieved through increased ventilation, albeit minimumly, but it would still help the engine to stay cooler... surely you'll have to agree with this, afterall, that very same radiator that cools the "water" in our engines is air cooled.
Any reduction in weight on any vehicle is noticable, some more than others.
"This is like saying painting it red will make it go faster." Yes, it is and was said in that vein, or did'nt you get the 'sporty/horsepower " comment ? Be that as it may, I know of more than one officer who's perception is that "red" cars are faster than none red cars.
Knowledge is good for everyone and there is a wealth of it here on the YOTATECH site as there is also alot of encouragement for it's viewers and their endeavours to improve their rides and while 4Roc would perhaps be better served by modifications other than that of a carbon fiber, scooped hood, it is his choice to make and in my entitled opinion, would be pretty cool, both literally and figuratively.
Lastly, I'm not trying to butt heads with you or anything TRunner, the "jealousy" comment was in jest and I'm sorry if you've taken it elsewise.
Maybe a placebo Neurontin or some such would do you some good.

Last edited by 94x4; 07-08-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber hood with scoop for 2nd gen