Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car seat in an Ext Cab? Safe? Legal? What's your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car seat in an Ext Cab? Safe? Legal? What's your opinion?

So I recently found out that come September I'm gonna be a father, and once I got over the initial excitement and crapping of my pants, I remembered that I drive a '92 Xtra cab, and of course have been thinking....oh no do I have to get rid of my truck now.

The thought of it makes my stomach sink, but I'm sure at some point I will be in a position that my wife has the other car and I either need to drop off or pick the kid up from somewhere. Just got my wife the 2011 Camry so that's no problem from a car seat perspective, although I'm not that impressed with the car at all, but that's a different story.

Anyway, and this is probably a really stupid question, and I don't want to come off like a scumbag, but has anybody ever figured out any way that the Xtra cab of a 3rd gen pickup can accomodate a car seat??

If not my truck may end up on the auction block, which will hurt.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-20-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Relevant title
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not too sure i'd be comfortable strapping my kid (if i had one) to the back jump seats in my pickup...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Hahaha yeah man, I know, I know, me either. Was just thinking maybe somebody had done a mod before or something to make it safe. I don't know, pretty much just wishful thinking....maybe already mourning the loss of my truck.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcpeck
Hahaha yeah man, I know, I know, me either. Was just thinking maybe somebody had done a mod before or something to make it safe. I don't know, pretty much just wishful thinking....maybe already mourning the loss of my truck.
I wouldn't necessarily mourn the loss of your truck. This just gives you the opportunity to buy a first gen Tundra with full seats in the back!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
rear facing seat (requirement up to a certain weight) might be tricky in the ex cab. You might wanna contact your local state police barracks and ask them if in an ex cab pickup you can place a car seat in the front. Now I don't know too much on those trucks, if it has a passenger side airbag, it became a requirement that if your gonna have a child in the front seat that the airbag had to be able to be disabled via a key or something like that. I don't believe the 92's though had a passenger side airbag.

If the state police say you can in the front seat of an ex cab it will be fine in the front. After all single cab pickups have nowhere else to have a child sit. I have been fine with mine since my daughter was still in a regular car seat. Just never had her in it in a rear facing. I still have my truck and she is now 5 and just in a booster seat now.

Hope that helps you.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 01-20-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't think there's any amount of modification that cold ever equate to being entirely certain that your child is secure in a crash or even a fender bender.....let alone attempting to satisfy or convince an officer (or even your wife or yourself) that it is safe as can be.

You may just be out of luck on this one. Although a seat can be secured in the front seat, it does not belong there, since a front end impact could entrap the seat or worse.(when rear facing)

Check your local Police or State Police for advice on seat installation and precautions and laws. Here in Pennsylvania, the State Police are very accommodating with this., holding child seat checks at least once a year. Your local hospital also will or should have guidance for this topic.

good luck and an early congratulations to you.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 01-20-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Yeah I could look at it like that, I guess. The problem is that nothing is like a Toyota Pickup, and I wanted one since I was 16 years old, and finally got it 3 years ago (when I was 33)....took a long time to find a good one too. Ah well we'll see what happens, just wondering if anybody else had attempted it.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or you could find a 4Runner thats around the year you want. Crazy right? haha
Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkStrong16
Or you could find a 4Runner thats around the year you want. Crazy right? haha
WIN!!!!!!
get a 1st gen
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Haha, yeah I had a 2nd Gen Runner before the Pickup, and I hated it. Back seat was useless for people, I had to worry about anything I put in the back instead of just throwing something in the bed, and the 3VZE is the biggest gutless wonder in those trucks with an Auto behind it. Got rid of that after a year.

I didn't even know putting a car seat in the front was even a possibility....shows how much I know about anything to do with kids, hahaha.

Well we'll see, either the truck will stay and I'll get a little Corolla or something, or the truck will go and maybe I'll look for a 3rd Gen Runner and at least get the 3.4...or possibly a crew cab Taco with the 3.4. Not a matter of not getting something else cool, just a matter of getting rid of the exact truck I've wanted for 1/2 my life. Oh well time to stop being selfish I guess. Whatta ya gonna do?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Its funny how much things have changed. I remember riding in the back of my dads old 85' ext. cab when I was little. It had home-made cushions and seat belts in the back on top of the tray! Was no big deal back then! But that was the early 90's....

But x3 on the 4Runner!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Yeah I was thinking about that too. When I was a kid I rode all the way upstate sitting sideways on a jump seat, in the Xtra cab of a relatives little Dodge pickup. Was a completely normal thing.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM

the tacomas 95-04 have a car seat adapter in the extra cab behind the passenger seat but its for toddler car seats not infants and it makes the passenger seat very uncomfortable, knees are in the glove box

ya my first wheeling trip i sat on the work bench of my dads 89 wasnt a big deal at all
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM

I have the same problem. I have a 2003 Tacoma Ext cab that I love that I have to get rid of because the only way to put an infant car seat in the truck is in the front. It is legal to do but what if you have to put someone else in the truck? I'm going to try to get a 4Runner or Land Cruiser in trade for my truck.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 AM

you can put a rear facing child seat in the front seat assuming you don't have a passenger side airbag. not sure if that was even available in your year but i think that's the only limiting factor. my 87 reg cab owners manual shows a rear facing child seat in the front seat since their obviously wasn't any airbags then. you are just suppose to use a clip that clips the lap belt to the shoulder belt so that when you tighten the seat down the belt doesn't loosen. my manual even gave a toyota # for the clip but i use one that came with a different car seat we got. i occasionally drive my 87 pickup and i pick up the little one from daycare so i bring her home in it. the car seat is at the right angle and is fastened down tightly so i feel comfortable doing it. definitely wouldn't put one in the back of an xtra cab though. read your manual and i bet it explains how to put one in front seat if no airbag. if you have to get rid of it then definitely go with a 4runner. congratulations by the way, nothing beats becoming a first time parent.

Last edited by spokane.yota.man; 01-20-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM

it's all a matter of personal oppinon. i would have no problem putting a child in the back seat of my 94 xtra cab or my 98 tacoma xtra cab. my dad use to put me in a car seat in the back of his 90 xtra cab, and he use to put my older brother in the MIDDLE of his 87 regular cab, the reg cab works, just be ready for you kid to start kicking the truck out of 4th gear if it's a stick. but that's my oppinion
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remember when you could just ride in the bed of a pickup, no seat belt, no top.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM

you can put a rear facing baby seat in the passenger seat if there's not airbag. my parents used to do it all the time in their old single cab mazda when i was a baby.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:09 AM

I have a 94 p/u and it was my daily driver when my two year old was born. Its a single cab and he rode in it everyday rear facing. That's perfectly legal in sc don't know your laws but figured I would chime in with first hand experience
Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Congrats on becomming a father,get ready for lots of sleepless nights,I'm told it will last at least until they are 18,mines only 3 so I have yet to confirm this.
I now have an 89 4runner but I have had several single cab trucks and you have no choice but to put them in the front seat of that,they are safe there as long as there isn't any air bag on that side.I would think it would be perfectly legal for you to put your car seat in the front until they are big enough to sit in a forward facing seat.trust me that will happen quick enough.After that I think as long as the folding seat is forward facing it is legal to put a forward facing car seat in it.

Quick Reply: Car seat in an Ext Cab? Safe? Legal? What's your opinion?