Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can't get manual Runner in any gear! Help me out...

Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get manual Runner in any gear! Help me out...

Hey all,
Got a '94 4Runner 3vze 5sp 157k. I got it two months ago. Guy said he put in a new clutch. I haven't had any problems with anything. It might have shifted a little rougher the last day or so, but I'm not even sure. Anyway, started out driving home, got it in first gear, pulled out, tried to get in second and it wouldn't go. Got in after about thirty seconds. Went into third, fourth tried fifth and they all locked up and wouldn't let me in any gear. Got stuck on the side of the road. Tried it in 4hi and low and 2. Nothing works. Neighbor got it home really ramming them into gear but couldn't get past third. He said the clutch seems like its riding low. At least I didn't need a tow. It's in the drive but what's the issue? Where do I start? I read something that said It might be the solenoid and someone else said the hydraulic fluid. Any thoughts suggestions? I haven't done any serious mechanical work before but is this something I can at least troubleshoot or fix?
Thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Will the trans shift with the engine off? How does the clutch pedal feel? You could try bleeding the slave cylinder
Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Check the fluid level also could have been low and sucked in air.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Cracked clutch pedal bracket can cause these symptoms also, upper left corner. Usually shifts with engine off if that's the case, but not always. Super easy to check anyway.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 PM

I wasn't able to get back on here to see any replies until now. Going to bed, but I will see if it shifts when off in the morning. I want to say I did try that when I was stuck and it wouldn't shift. But, when you're on the side of the road you don't always remember things so exactly... So I could be wrong. I will check in the AM and post back to y'all. Long day and we have loads of fresh snow or I would go out and check now! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Alright. It shifts with the engine off. The clutch fluid level is fine. The bracket doesn't appear to be cracked. I just ran it and now it shifts in all gears sitting. Obviously, there's a problem though and I don't want to try driving it and get stuck again. What should I do now? Sorry new to this problem. Help is appreciated. Thanks for the previous suggestions.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your slave cylinder is probably shot or leaking.

Replace both the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder at the same time. Toyota likes OEM hydraulics. Just FYI

Amazon has great prices on Aisin master cylinder and slave cylinder prices. Do not cheap out on these parts...
Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
This won't help you solve your real problem, but I'd recommend anyone with a manual learn to properly shift without using the clutch, just for emergency purposes. That way you won't have to get a tow home if your clutch fluid all leaks out or something. You can always start the truck in first gear and then work your way up. It's just a matter of gently holding the shifter against the gear you want and matching rpms with the accelerator until it drops in. Perfectly safe for the tranny unless you get ham-handed. ("Ramming it into gear" as per your neighbor is not the correct way to do it.)

As far as the original problem goes, you might also want to check the pedal free travel and adjust that by changing the length of the clutch pedal push rod. There are specs in the FSM for the free travel. I know after my last clutch job, the mechanic left it with way too much free travel on the pedal, and I had to push it within an inch of the floor to disengage. I adjusted the push rod and it feels a whole bunch better now.

BTW, it's not a "solenoid". There are no solenoids involved in this particular part of the mechanism. It's all purely mechanical and hydraulic.

Last edited by RJR; 03-20-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Check the clutch pedal mounting plate for failure. Mine cracked and didn't allow the piston to move into the slave cylinder all the way so I couldn't get it in any gears. They're kinda known to fail on years 89-95. I'd say get under the dash with a flash light and look everywhere on that plate for cracks.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:41 PM

Hey, sorry there. Didn't mean to be one of those that runs off and never let's anyone know the conclusion... Ha

Anyway, I adjusted the clutch freeplay and she's shifting great now. Does that mean that was likely the only problem though? So far so good, a few days in now. Thanks to jasonyota and RJR for that suggestion and to jbtvt, I checked the bracket multiple times and couldn't find any cracks. Again, fluid level was perfect too.

Hoping this is the fix. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the suggestions all
Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Pull off the cowl and the plastic mesh piece and check in there for cracks. Mine cracked there and my clutch got funny. Also broke my bracket under the dash. Weird it'd get funny on you out of nowhere with nothing broken. Check the two bolts holding the slave cylinder in place. Undo em and pull the slave into the engine bay, see if the mounting holes are cracked. You'll have to undo the clevis holding onto the clutch pedal arm.