Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can you make an effective skid plate with a 90 AMP flux welder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you make an effective skid plate with a 90 AMP flux welder?

Hello again, just started to get into welding and want my truck to have some more protection under her. I've been working seeing if I'd be able to make a strong enough skid plate with a 90 amp flux welder the welder is nothing at all special just something from harbor freight. Any input helps thank you!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Depends more on the person doing the welding then the machine.

Feel your skills are up to the job??

Proper prep work

Good joint design.

take your time

It would not be my first choice one does what you need to
Old 10-03-2017, 05:43 AM

I'm thinking of attempting to build a bumper first just to see if I can do it.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I've seen skid plates with little to no welding done so it's possible to get by with that welder. For the money I would buy a sheet metal bender at HF for $58. That would be more useful than their 90 Amp welder.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:58 AM

I already have the welder but I am looking to expand my arsenal of tools so I'll keep that sheet metal bender in mind.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think the bending and forming would be much harder then any welding that might need done
Old 10-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have any formal training in welding, not much anyway. Up until a couple years ago I had a 250 amp Lincoln MIG Welder. Using that welder I built trailers, trailer hitches, tow bars and repaired/rebuilt the frame on my 1984 Xtra Cab.Those projects all withstood the tests of time and use without any failures, so I must've been doing something right. I have since downgraded to a 125 amp flux core wire welder and I have to say that I would not trust any of the welds I make with it on metal heavier than about one eighth of an inch where safety is an issue. I find that the penetration is just not there, at least not at my skill level. That said, I find this welder incredibly useful for making tools and fixtures for use on my projects. And I find it quite useful for heavier projects where I can still tack thicker pieces of metal together before I turn them over to someone else to be welded properly.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:44 PM

I have been thinking about trying to replicate this bumper for use on my first-generation 4runner. If I could cut the pieces, fit them up, and get them tacked together I would consider it a job well done and something to be quite satisfied about, even though I will have to hire out the final welding.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchtech
I don't have any formal training in welding, not much anyway. Up until a couple years ago I had a 250 amp Lincoln MIG Welder. Using that welder I built trailers, trailer hitches, tow bars and repaired/rebuilt the frame on my 1984 Xtra Cab.Those projects all withstood the tests of time and use without any failures, so I must've been doing something right. I have since downgraded to a 125 amp flux core wire welder and I have to say that I would not trust any of the welds I make with it on metal heavier than about one eighth of an inch where safety is an issue. I find that the penetration is just not there, at least not at my skill level. That said, I find this welder incredibly useful for making tools and fixtures for use on my projects. And I find it quite useful for heavier projects where I can still tack thicker pieces of metal together before I turn them over to someone else to be welded properly.

How much did this welder cost you?
Old 10-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 87and94
How much did this welder cost you?
$129.99 Purchased through Amazon.com. The seller was Northern Tool, I also had to pay both shipping and sales tax. Which brought the total up to about $160. The nearest Northern Tool store Is about 48 miles away from where I live. If I would've gone into the store I could've saved about $24, which was the shipping charge.

If I was to upgrade a notch or two I would look at an imported dual voltage MIG welder with around 180 - 200 amps. There are several brands that sell for around $500. Similar products from Miller and Lincoln seem to sell around $800-$1200. Dual voltage means that you could plug into either a regular 110 volt or 220 volt outlet. The welder automatically senses the voltage and adjusts the output accordingly. If you wanted to access the full 180 amp capacity of the machine you would have to be plugged into 220.

http://amzn.to/2yn3JBg

If you like to see reviews on welding machines and get tips for becoming a better welder, you might like the YouTube channel of ChuckE2009. He is a young guy a few years out of welding school who runs his own welding shop and has put together a very entertaining and educational and successful bunch of videos, including reviews of machines, Domestic and imported. https://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckE2009
I am in no wayConnected with him, Just a fan.