Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can you help me identify my oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you help me identify my oil leak?

Sorry so long!!

Ok, first of all my 4runner, 22re, at, uses oil like crazy. (1qt of oil every 300-400 miles) It does not smoke or have any noticeable leaks until now. I noticed a drop of oil on the ground and looked up to see oil at the front of the transmission so I immediately thought the rear main seal? right? well, upon further investigation, I noticed a bunch of sludge/oil further up that leads me to think my oil leak is further up and is dripping down onto the top of the transmission and the oil is running down both sides of the transmission because that is where I am finding it, on both sides and the bottom.

After looking it over more, it looks as if it is leaking right behind the valve cover/maybe a little further down and there is a bunch of sludge down there and it is pretty shiny/wet. what could be the problem? I have links with some pics but it is hard to take good pics of where it is coming from because it is so tight in there so I hope this makes sense. here are some pics of what I am talking about. sorry for the bad pics but that is the best i could do.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...43130776CThHtT
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...43130776GmMksF

If you could imagine stick your hand back behind the valve cover, through these two hoses below and wiping it around your hand would be covered in oil.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...43130776CMCImn

I didn't get my hand far enough back but if i did it would have been covered.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...43130776VRknmX

What do you all think it could be? I hope this post makes sense and I could try and take better pics if needed but i feel like my description of where it is leaking might be sufficient. thanks and again sorry so long winded.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 PM

get some engine bright gel oil & grease remover spray down the area where the oil is clean it up good then you will see where the oils is coming from also go get a new valve cover seal.

you could also try to tighten the cover a little bit first to see if that stops the leak.

Last edited by CyMoN; 02-23-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:07 PM

that is what i was going to do. I just had the vavles gapped with a new valve cover gasket installed about 6 months ago. it was done by my mechanic at toyota so that shouldn't be the problem i hope. i am going to spray the heck out of it this weekend with brake cleaner but i am afraid if i do that the oil leak might get worse. some of that sludge might be holding something of importance together. lol

any other suggestions?

should i worry about cleaning up that area with brake cleaner? is there anything back there that can get messed up by doing this?

Last edited by whitetaco02; 02-23-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM

I recently had a similar problem. My rear valve cover bolts had somehow come loose (vibration?) and oil was spraying from the rear of the the valve cover and a bit onto the exhaust.

I opted to take the cover off and replace the the gasket. I also noticed the the rubber half moon at the rear of the head was also leaking a small amount. So I just cleaned it up and put some permatex silicone rtv on it.

Hasn`t leaked since.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Brake Cleaner

I wouldn't spray it on when it's too hot...and try not to breath the warm brake cleaner vapors they can take your breath away. If it's thick sludge back there i would spray it first,,,wipe most of the thick stuff off then spray again to get any remaining residue. Run it for 15 minutes after topping up the oil and get a light and mirror back there to look close for fresh oil leakage. Just had the valves gapped? was it leaking before anyone messed with the valve cover?
Sometimes that half moon seal in the head doen't get installed properly. I removed one once that had the little flap edge folded over and somehow it wasn't leaking.

Last edited by scrid; 02-23-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:11 PM

get the brake cleaner that will not damage plastics
Old 02-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Aetsen
I recently had a similar problem. My rear valve cover bolts had somehow come loose (vibration?) and oil was spraying from the rear of the the valve cover and a bit onto the exhaust.

I opted to take the cover off and replace the the gasket. I also noticed the the rubber half moon at the rear of the head was also leaking a small amount. So I just cleaned it up and put some permatex silicone rtv on it.

Hasn`t leaked since.
i think the leak may be further down than the the half moon. how do you get back there to tighten the bolts down? it is way too tight in there. once i spray it with brake cleaner and get it cleaned up i should hopefully be able to tell exactly where it is coming from.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by scrid
I wouldn't spray it on when it's too hot...and try not to breath the warm brake cleaner vapors they can take your breath away. If it's thick sludge back there i would spray it first,,,wipe most of the thick stuff off then spray again to get any remaining residue. Run it for 15 minutes after topping up the oil and get a light and mirror back there to look close for fresh oil leakage. Just had the valves gapped? was it leaking before anyone messed with the valve cover?
Sometimes that half moon seal in the head doen't get installed properly. I removed one once that had the little flap edge folded over and somehow it wasn't leaking.

not sure if it was leaking before or not. i just started noticing the oil spot on the driveway though so that is what lead me to the leak. i have been all under the truck looking and have not found anything until now.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
get the brake cleaner that will not damage plastics
my dad has tons of brake cleaner at his house so i am going over there on sat to get it taken care of. i just hope i don't "break" something loose. lol
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Prolly the half-moon rubber seal. There are no other oil passages back there.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
Prolly the half-moon rubber seal. There are no other oil passages back there.
what about those bolts back there? could that be an issue?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
22RE is bad about leaking out the cam seal or valve pan o-ring and these would be where I'd start looking

Degrease and steam clean the engine
Wipe it down and get all the gunk off
Let it dry thoroughly
Get some foot powder spray and spray it where you think it might be leaking
Crank it up, drive around the block or down the road, but don't get it too hot
Oil leak will leave a nice path in the foot powder

Or you can just take it to a competent mechanic

Old 02-24-2007, 06:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetaco02
what about those bolts back there? could that be an issue?
The bolts on the back of the cylinder head are part of the EGR system. No oil there.

But let me qualify that, I suppose it's possible that one of the bolt holes goes into an area where there is oil, but I don't think that's the case.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
22RE is bad about leaking out the cam seal or valve pan o-ring and these would be where I'd start looking

Let it dry thoroughly

Foot powder?...cool idea! Thanks, I'll remember that one! (Also oughtta cut down on that fungus growing under my floor mats... )
Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

Let it dry thoroughly

my dad and i will be cleaning it up today after lunch today so hopefully we will be able to tell where exactly it is coming from. i do think you are right where it is coming from cause it seems as if it is lower than the half moon gasket but the bolts back there are covered in oil. it is just so hard to get back there and do any work for the lack of room. thanks for your advice.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
The bolts on the back of the cylinder head are part of the EGR system. No oil there.

But let me qualify that, I suppose it's possible that one of the bolt holes goes into an area where there is oil, but I don't think that's the case.
i was thinking that one of those bolts may have come loose or something and that was the reason for the oil seepage. i will look and see and will possibly use a mirror as well to get back there and get a good look.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:44 PM

I had the same prob. I also thought it was the bolts in the back. It was the half moon part of the valve cover gasket kit. When I pulled it out it was dry rotted to hell. Replaced it. No more leak. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM

ok, will do. i need to find a weekend where i have some time and get that taken care of. my dad and i cleaned the piss out of the engine with several cans of brake cleaner and engine degreaser and it seemed to have done a great job. i am just waiting to see where i might get some seepage. my dad said he had several of the half moon gaskets so all i need is another valve cover gasket and a little time to get it all done. i hope that is all it is.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:46 PM

Well, it is leaking again...

I ran my hand across it today and there was a slight film of oil on the back of the valve cover by the EGR bolts. My dad and I are going to change out the half moon and valve cover gasket this weekend so "hopefully" that should take care of the problem.

My questions are: Should I be seeing coolant leaking back there as well? I ran my hand back there a little lower, maybe at the top of the head, and looked at my hand and I could of swore it was coolant on my finger. It didn't even smell like oil then and had a strange feel on my finger, different than what oil feels like. Kind of had almost a sweet smell. My coolant level has remained the same and my temp runs at the same level all the time but could I have a slight head gasket leak? Is that even possible? I was not sure if it was the degreaser my dad used but I honestly feel that stuff would have burned off by now. I have no milky oil look but I do use oil and I have no idea where it is going. (1/2 qt to 1 qt every 2-3 weeks)There is no oil in my reservoir either.

Also, does a blown headgasket cause bad gas mileage? I am sorry for a newbie type question here but I can't remember if I heard that or not. Thanks and sorry so long.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM

You guys over look a good tool: the local wash-it-yourself car wash is a good place to hot-water spray off all the gunk and clean the engine at the same time. Just keep the engine running to prevent condensation in the distributor. I do it frequently to keep my engine clean. Have had not had any problems doing this...

Quick Reply: Can you help me identify my oil leak?