Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

can someone help me diagnose my truck?

Old 02-17-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone help me diagnose my truck?

Hello everyone, I've been losing my mind trying to figure out what's up with my truck, I haven't even gotten to use it yet its been sitting at my mechanics for months. He won't work on or just feels like doing it on his time. Anyway I bought it a couple months ago its 1992 pickup extended cab 3.$low with an automatic, great combination I must say! But it had a c.e.l. ,high idle, and no speedometer/odom when I bought her figured it was something simple It starts runs smooth and shifts fine for the most part, except the idle is so high I don't wanna drive it and damage my tranny, and the last time I drove it for more than 30 minutes it was surging real bad and wouldnt shift into o/d and the light on the dash was blinking it would try to shift but would slip and slam back into 3rd (it felt more like 2nd) haven't tried it since cause its been so cold here. Anyway when my buddy did look at he he ran the codes and all he came up with was a speed sensor code, replaced the speed sensor, no change still no speedo, after that we looked into the idle and tried plugging the hole to the idle speed control valve and it slowed the idle which his best guess was to replace iacv but from what I read this motor doesn't actually have one? And as far as googling the part I have no idea what its called, even if this does fix the idle should that correct the o/d problem? Or could this whol
Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you have a few problems going on. Can you take a video?

My old A340H had the blinking light and high idle right before I swapped the 5 Speed due to a T/C failure
Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gjd92pickup
Hello everyone, I've been losing my mind trying to figure out what's up with my truck, I haven't even gotten to use it yet its been sitting at my mechanics for months. He won't work on or just feels like doing it on his time.
I'd say your mechanic is part of your problem unless he's giving you a really good deal. When stuff sits at a mechanics shop for an excessive amount of time you're either getting the "Friendship Discount", they can't figure it out, they're tired of dealing with it, or they're tired of working on that particular make and model of vehicle.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Swim
Sounds like you have a few problems going on. Can you take a video?

My old A340H had the blinking light and high idle right before I swapped the 5 Speed due to a T/C failure
Thanks for replying, and I can take a video no problem, but uploading may take some time to figure out, I was thinking of doing a swap if my automatic decides to go, just curious what's a T/C? Also what did you do to fix the idle? And yes my truck ha a few problems but I want this thing to run I hate the throwaway culture we live in and the engine is still strong it just needs some tlc. I was thinking the coolant temp sensor could be bad as well, cause if the truck isnt getting a signal that its warmed up it will just keep trying to get there but this is still a very high idle, when we hooked it to his computer I think it was running around 1300, once we plug the idle valve hole thing, it dropped to 800 and kept going down till it was close to stalling but the fan even shut off like it should and I heard my truck idle normal for the first time but I can't find an idle speed(air)control valve anywhere it states in the FSM troubleshooting guide that's what its called, but I cannot for the life of me find one for this motor just the 22re, the mechanic I work for just won't give me the time of day to help me fix I even told him I'd pay his normal hourly rate even if I did the work! And I don't wanna take to the guy up the street who I hear is "wiz" with Toyota motors cause I want to do it myself I just don't have tools or shop hence why I got a job helping my regular mechanic he's just a really hard person to talk to but I grew up next door to him all my life so he sees me as family and has no problem raising his voice and I need the job cause its five minutes from my house so I can't call him a a**hole and walk out cause i still respect him he's a great mechanic I just don't have the knowledge to approach him with confidence and discuss the issues with my truck
Old 02-19-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Odin
I'd say your mechanic is part of your problem unless he's giving you a really good deal. When stuff sits at a mechanics shop for an excessive amount of time you're either getting the "Friendship Discount", they can't figure it out, they're tired of dealing with it, or they're tired of working on that particular make and model of vehicle.
The sad part is he made a list of parts to order and its just sitting on his toolbox I asked him when he's gonna order it and he basically didn't answer me his wife works the front counter and she even says he doesnt answer questions in detail he gives you about 30% of the answer that you want in an aggravated tone its really frustrating, but where else is a mechanic gonna hire someone who has no experience or formal education? Hes just teaching me cause I've known him all my life and he knows I'm good with my hands I've doing carpentry for the last 5 years since graduating high school and he's always been on top of fixing my cars they've never sat for more that 2 days and he's always done top notch work never had any issues with anything he fixed he even helped me get a broken bolt out of my cylinder head when I rebuilt my dirt bike engine but this blows my mind he'd let my truck go this long even before I started working for him.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=Swim;52255620]Sounds like you have a few problems going on. Can you take a video?

My old A340H had the blinking light and high idle right before I swapped the 5 Speed due to a T/C failure[/QUOTi

I now see what t/c means and now I think mines gonna fail soon as well just took it on a test drive and it does really good of road just keeps going threw like 6 inches of snow up at least a 20% grade and a 16inch dip now I see why I wanted one of these trucks I love the stock suspension set up and ground clearance I'm pretty sure I bottomed out once or twice but didn't even feel it other than the angles of the truck of course all and all I'm extremely happy I bought this thing which is why I'm not so upset about fixing it but I noticed it makes a whistling noise when pulling out of 1st gear and the it surges intermently once it warms up no C.E.L. and it was shifting into o/d just fine which makes me think the new speed sensor is sending a signal to the CPU so it's just the speedo its self which doesn't worry me, but the warmer it gets the slower it seems to accelerate which the speed doesn't bother me its the fact that it feel restricted like I'm pulling a trailer almost made sure 4wheel wasn't engaged, and its negitive 10 here so that might be causeing it too but seem like it was smokeing a lot white smoke which obviously makes me think head gasket but I'll check the fluid tommorow and see. Is white smoke normal in cold weather? The exhaust does have alot of condensation in warmer conditions but no smoke, but sorry for ranting any info about the whistle and signs of t/c failure would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 PM

Sorry for speaking to soon without doing the research my dog whistle sound is most likely in my charcoal filter because I could smell the charcol smell when I was engaging the hubs, hopefully this helps someone if they have the same issue, just curious could the charcoal ignight and catch the engine on fire? Probably a stupid question.