Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

CA. SMOG TEST FAILURE! Help from Smog Techs/other Guru's???I'll post my convo with th

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yea, i used that trick the next time around i had to do my smog check and it passed. check out my Build thread link. you will see how horrible my motor looks atm (well before i took it in for a rebuild)
Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
thought I'd post up some videos i've been doing, just to catalog this GREMLIN HUNT! lol.

Then, just a look at my CAT that I had to replace. (And, the hole for that 02 Flange is around 1/2" or MORE, plus the 02 gasket, before the 02 reading element even get's into the LC Header pipe.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5l0d...1&feature=plcp

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-12-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Just wanted to add(to what was said in the videos);

Seems the rig is running a little less chunky with my original ECU back in. It's DEFINITELY different, even in the 'oddities' dept. Strange.... Anywhoo.... I ran with the New Denso O2 sensor for quite some time(2 hours) before slapping back in the original ECU from my rig. So that's how I noticed, that when I put in the original ECU, it was definitely noticeable, the differences. Maybe over a couple days it will re-adjust back to the same crap? lol. We'll see. I'll be posting mileage from this tank asap, also.

As I mentioned in the last video, the New CAT doesn't seem to be getting nearly as hot. That could be in part due to improved EGR flow/due to running the stock exhaust? Meh, anyway, I'm Curious to see what some others who are running the same LCE/Etc. set up I had find over time with mileage/CAT-life expectancy, etc. Seems Roger/4Crawlers mod's helped a bit, for sure. I'll be watching Grego's rig for a while to see if he notices anything due to the LCE set up as well.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I was MIA through the majority of your challenge. Been busy with two jobs and full time school but graduate in three weeks!! First off, great job master chef! Tasty looking lamb there btw... i see that it was a true medium rare lol! Second, Im running the same set-up( LCE header, lower positioned 02 bung, magna flow cat though) all you did was move the 02 sensor closer and voila huh? I see you also replaced the cat which I have been told will almost always pass you on NOx if done right before testing. I am thinking about getting the O2 relocated closer to the manifold or very least the collector. I also seem to be verifying proper EGR operation as did you but I am going to just say ok and replace the EGR valve with a new OEM one to see if that makes driveability better( idle surging after load and so forth as we all face with a beloved little 1st gen 22ES's. I will let you know if I notice anything significant afterwards, just food for thought being that you seem to have the same slight missfire/ sputter I am experiencing. Once again though, great job on your efforts and completion of getting your rig to pass CA emission regulations.

Last edited by dubbsbetty; 05-27-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dub, he put the OEM original manifold and related exhaust back on. The LCE is on the shelf at the moment, IIRC.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by dubbsbetty
Sorry I was MIA through the majority of your challenge. Been busy with two jobs and full time school but graduate in three weeks!! First off, great job master chef! Tasty looking lamb there btw... i see that it was a true medium rare lol! Second, Im running the same set-up( LCE header, lower positioned 02 bung, magna flow cat though) all you did was move the 02 sensor closer and voila huh? I see you also replaced the cat which I have been told will almost always pass you on NOx if done right before testing. I am thinking about getting the O2 relocated closer to the manifold or very least the collector. I also seem to be verifying proper EGR operation as did you but I am going to just say ok and replace the EGR valve with a new OEM one to see if that makes driveability better( idle surging after load and so forth as we all face with a beloved little 1st gen 22ES's. I will let you know if I notice anything significant afterwards, just food for thought being that you seem to have the same slight missfire/ sputter I am experiencing. Once again though, great job on your efforts and completion of getting your rig to pass CA emission regulations.
Thanks, DUbbs! hahaha.. I LOVE dem chops, btw!

Yeah, as RW said, below, I swapped back in the stock exhaust to the CAT(new CAT) and most likely passed for the most part due to 'NEW CAT'... BUT, it seems my EGR is working more effectively now that I have the stock exhaust back on(bigger ports on stock exhaust)... I can FEEL it's getting far warmer on the inlet into the plenum, etc..

My LCE is on the shelf, but I WILL be putting it back on eventually. See, I wanted to rule out 'backpressure-EGR function and such' and already had my stock manifold, with 02 on the mani right near the brake booster(Yes, it's that high, right where the 4 pipes meet)... So I figured it couldn't hurt to try it out. What I DO notice for sure is that I find myself driving this one much softer in order to enjoy the 'quiet', lol... Rather than stomping on my LCE set up in order to enjoy the 'FWOOOOMP' lol.

I also swapped it back in to see on the mileage... I don't seem to be getting any better mileage, gramma pedaling it and all.

It really seems as if; The SECOND I go into closed loop/right as it reaches operating temps.... the loping erratic idle chunkage seems to get obviously more pronounced. It's NOT like a 427 with NASTY CAMs or anything, lol... Just bothersome/annoying and OBVIOUSLY COULD have something to do with my mileage in City. Next tank I will be trying it out on a nice long drive/hwy.... So I'll see if that's around the same as well.

I'm still doing 90mph no problem with this manifold on... Maybe A TINY, hardly noticeable slower time getting there.... And on hills, I don't seem to have lost anything compared to the header. As a matter of fact.... I think RIGHT OFF the line the stock manifold does a LIL better for low end torque. My 261 CAM helped that a lil bit with the header, but I do, definitely feel a lil more low end torque with the stock mani.

I look at it this way... It's a QUICK swap back to the header, and Toyota DID, I feel, do a nice job with their stock manifolds. Ted of engnbldr has tested these for HOW MANY YEARS? He still prefers the stock mani over ALL of them, but DOES like the tri-y best, of all the headers(IIRC).

Anyway, I'll post up when I drain this tank.... last tank was dang near 11mpg... So I'm curious. I think it's looking like around 14.5MPG at this point... BUT, that's with a grandma pedal standard going, unlike my header, which was hard to keep off due to 'THROATY LOVE'! lol.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 AM

Cool beans Chef! Im about to temporarily block off my EGR valve as soon as I get off this computer, lol! I just want to see if it will make a difference with my eratic idle issue or not. If it does, problem found, if not, well back to the drawing boad I guess :/ I think I will eventually wire in a 4 wire 02 sensor down the road and see if that will help the old girl with emissions if that time comes. Carry on and i will post my findings when completed.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM

Hey Dubbs'!

Yeah, that's an 'iffy' one from all I've read. MANY guru's and what I've found, reading up, suggests that the heated 02 WILL NOT help our rigs by the time they get down there to the smog station and are at 12,000,000 degrees, lol.... It's more for helping when cold, ya know? BUT, it COULD help, I'm not saying it wouldn't. Just had a guy I trust very much so say, "DON'T BOTHER, ..I've been there in this situation... It wont change enough. SOMETHING is wrong within your system, either mechanical or otherwise, PERIOD! You have a strange situation with as bad as 10-12mpg city and 20-21 hwy????? That's COMPLETELY wacko... Bad traffic or not..... Get it in to your buddy at JAC and let them dig until they find it... or just dig yourself when you have time.".... He read my whole smog thread, much of my build, and he keeps coming to "SOMETHING is STILL wrong, not newly wrong... it seems like the SAME rumble in the jungle as with a TOTALLY different block and completely rebuilt head now.... SOMETHING is causing the miss and idle chunkage.... I feel ya, Mark, ...it would drive me nuts, too!"... So that felt better, lol. I've had 8 OF THESE MOTORS, ...and none of them were over 16-17City... but COMMON, 10-12? Even grammie'n the pedal? Nah, no way, something is off, I'm positive. When I find it, I'll GLADLY post whatever it is, whether it's STUPID or not. However, with as most I've dealt with... usually seems to be THE MOST FREAK/complicated thing that never happens to anyone, hahahaha... So yeah, we'll see, and I WILL post it up when I finally find it!

Good to see ya Dubbs!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Hey Chef! So I went down to Oreilly's and picked up some high temperature gasket material for like $6 and used the EGR valve to trace me some some block offs. Got em installed and so far the truck seems to be running smoother, cooler, and more responsive. For now I plan on leaving it that way until other priorities are completed but I say it's an improvement. Pretty sure that the wiring harness that goes to my TPS has a bad connection and that is what is causing my idle issue, I can't just replace that part unfortunately unless I find one at pick-n-pull. Not too worried about that though, the missfire did go away!! Just wanted to post up my findings as I said I would. You said your getting indecent gas mileage, how's your TPS, I can't remember if you checked or replaced that or not. I can't imagine that poor of fuel economy on a 4 cylinder but then again it's obviously possible. Take care and good luck, I'll be curious to hear back from ya!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM

You blocked off your EGR BEFORE you smog tested? Or after(sorry, can't remember off hand.... ONE OF THOSE days, haha).

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I thought I'd posted this on this thread... Maybe not. BUT, when taking a different type drive the other day, over the Long Beach, I kept it at low RPM and between 35-45, most of the way, without having to stop much... That, along with a LIL(10 MILES?) of stomping on it when I first filled up, then combined with a drive over the Vincent St. Thomas Bridge, then back to the Gas Station in MODERATE traffic, total of around 44 Miles, ended up needing 2.5Gallons, from full. That comes out to 17.2 MPG?(something like that). Now, that's what I consider ACTUAL "NORMAL city driving", according to what the manufacturer meant when they posted the window sticker. But 90% of the time, I can't really drive like that. I'm mostly sitting at lights, and going through 1-3 gears, back and forth, trying to keep up with traffic, etc. Never a 'flowing-fluid' 25-45mph City pace without many stops. I just can't be sure how much MY city mileage, through MY driving conditions, has to do with the '12-14MAX mpg's' around busy city driving... And, how much has to do with maybe something being 'OFF', haha.

I will be driving to Lake Havasu, AZ, hopefully this weekend for Fathers day(depending on whether my oldest daughter gives birth or not).... I'll check to see what I can get out of it, again by driving according to manufacturers recommended RPM/SPEED, etc. ya know? Usually, I drive out there like 70-85, on average, depending on the hills, etc.(The cahon pass and other places are BRUTAL for about 30 miles, ya know? Big inclines, etc.). ... This time I'll try to keep it at around 65mph, most of the way, and keep the air off until I need it. I might stop around that time that I need the air and check to see my mileage, ya know? That way I'll get an accurate estimate. REALLY anxious to find out, for some reason! lol. Not really the cost, it's not that much difference... But I WANT to TRY and be more conservative and less wasteful if I can help it, ya know? Plus, it's just driving me crazy, as I see lots of guys saying, "I get 22-25mpg City/HWY in my 22RE".... I don't plan to try and match anyone... I have no idea how they're beating out the actual manufacturers mileage estimates... But hey, more power too em.. I just want the best I can get, ya know?

Hope you're ok, Dubbs!

PS> My clip broke off my TPS long ago... But it's a NEW one and it seems to stay on 100% of the time, so far(the connector). It also has been adjusted 2 times since installing it.. I am pretty sure it's right. BUT YES, we could, many of us, have wiring issues that hamper maximum performance/economy, ya know? I plan to have mine scoped not long from now.... Maybe a smoke test... Bcuz not just the mileage, but that MISS, IT DRIVES ME NUTS, man, ya know? lol.