YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   A/C stopped working on my '93 4Runner... (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/c-stopped-working-my-93-4runner-122233/)

starrett 08-11-2007 10:04 PM

A/C stopped working on my '93 4Runner...

The A/C on my '93 4runner ( 22RE, 5-speed ) abruptly stopped working - blowing cold yesterday, nothing today. The green light comes on when the A//C button is depressed, but the compressor doesn't engage. I'm told there's a circuit breaker and fuse behind the glove box and an under-hood relay? Coincidentally I pulled out and re-installed the glove box a couple days ago - maybe I screwed something up. Not really sure what I'm looking for and where to check first. Anyone else w/ this problem?

Bryan
Bvipers@aol.com

Robrt32 08-12-2007 06:48 AM

Have you checked to make sure the belt didn't break? after that i would see if the clutch is engaging. then check the freon

basr5 08-12-2007 07:02 AM

is your AC belt still there? if the green light is on you shouldent have a problem with that 40 amp fuse, you might need a re-charge on the A/C system

-stay cool:drink:

Tim_Snapple76 08-12-2007 07:48 AM

the green light can still come on even if your ac compressor isnt engaging. check that pressure switch behind the glove box. replace it and see what happens from there. there is a relay or wire connector at the very back of the intake plenum. (next to firewall) you might have to take the hood off and climb up there to even find it. I had to silicone mine together to make sure that it did not come loose. is anything frozen under the hood??? if a piece of your ac equipment is froze solid then you are probably out of freon. let us know what you find. tim.

starrett 08-12-2007 10:22 AM

Thanks Tim, Steven, and all. The belts are new and intact. I don't know the status of the freon, but it was blowing ice cold before it stopped, and for a '93 I thought that was pretty good. Would it work so well if low on freon? I have yet to check the pressure switch behind the glove box but will update when I do.

Bryan

Tim_Snapple76 08-12-2007 01:13 PM

it will till it freezes solid

Kaleb 08-12-2007 01:21 PM

Well if it turns out that you need a new compressor, then I have one for sale.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f107...ressor-121332/

UKMyers 05-16-2010 11:10 AM

Digging up an old thread here... I have the same issue with my 94 runner. It worked awesome and blew nice and cold right up to the point where it quit. The green light comes on in the button but the compressor is not doing anything. It does not idle up or anything. Curious where to start chasing wires. The problem is someplace between the button and the compressor.

SigEp4Runner 05-16-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tim_Snapple76 (Post 50592138)
there is a relay or wire connector at the very back of the intake plenum. (next to firewall) you might have to take the hood off and climb up there to even find it. I had to silicone mine together to make sure that it did not come loose.....

My A/C hasnt worked for a long time either and when I had the recalls done on my rig toyota told me my A/C was unplugged. Could this be what they were talking about? I had a hose replaced back there and that could have been when it came unplugged. Toyota wanted $150 to plug it in so ive been without for years. Anyone have an idea on how hard it is to get back there and connect the plug or what it looks like?

Thanks for bringing up the old thread UK, I have never known what toyota meant when they said "unplugged" but this may be the fix.

hgill 05-17-2010 10:48 AM

UKMyers,

Easy check would be to directly supply 12v to the compressor from battery. It should engage and if everything is working fine, the air should get colder.

When you press the a/c button, it goes to the a/c amplifier and then it gives the compressor 12v.

UKMyers 05-17-2010 11:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I pulled the electronic version of the FSM but there are about 30 PDFs alone that deal with the AC system. I don't have that kind of time to dig through them. I have not dug very deep into this yet.. Some have said there is a fuse someplace behind the glove compt.. hard telling.

hilandfrog 05-17-2010 12:39 PM

behind plastic/ speaker area to the right of glove box.... may be able to get it from underneath??

Repo

highonpottery 05-17-2010 01:34 PM

my AC is kinda in the same boat as yours - light turns on, but no compressor kicking on anymore nor idle up. it was working perfectly fine, blowing frigid air, 4months prior. took it to a shop to get diagnosed for $30 and they said that it was the freon level being too low for it to kick on. said that there's a slight leak somewhere that caused the level to drop and that there's also most likely some kinda valve stuck (can't remember what it's called) that's usually at fault with these AC systems and it's behind the dash of course. oh yeah, and the 93s are the last year of the real freon, so you can't really DIY it unless you get the system evacuated first and then have them charge it again. i decided to just go w/o AC for now since i don't drive the truck that much anymore.

CMD93 04-26-2011 05:07 PM

UK - did you ever resolve this issue? Mine just did the same thing...

D's Hilux 12-04-2015 04:02 AM

AC no green light - wont start

Hi i'm new to this and im not sure if I hit the right ting.

I've read all these posts on Hilux A/C issues - my dash is completely removed now and I've found every fuse I can and checked them yet when I hit the a/c switch there is no green light - and nothing happens.

I got another switch from the wreckers and its not the switch. I'm not sure how you test relays, I've tried crossing a wire over lines on the switch and blown the blower fuse a few times but I just cant get the A/C to work.

Any suggestions? Am I in the wrong spot? Have I missed something under the hood?

D

scope103 12-04-2015 06:19 AM

D -
Welcome to YotaTech!

1) What vehicle/model/year are we talking about? I'm guessing a Hilux, but which year? It doesn't make a lot of difference with A/C, but get in the habit of telling us.

2) "I've checked every fuse I can"? Well, did you check the RIGHT fuse? We can't help if you keep it a secret. The A/C fuse (at least in '93) is above the glove box. http://web.archive.org/web/201204170.../2powersou.pdf It's next to the heater fuse; you may be referring to that when you say "blower" fuse.

3) "I got another switch from the wreckers," and yet, it's very clear you had no idea that was the problem. I'm sure you didn't pay TOO much, but that way lies madness (and bankruptcy). Don't replace parts just because you don't know the right thing to do.

4) What is the right thing? First, get a multimeter. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=multimeter If you're not in North America Harbor Freight might not help, but multimeters are available everywhere from Siberia to Antarctica. Crossing wires (on a 5-wire switch) is just a way to wreck the switch and something else.

5) Look at the manual. Here's the A/C section for a '93: http://web.archive.org/web/201204270...ditioning.html

Good luck!

D's Hilux 12-04-2015 04:58 PM

Thanks Scope103

Thanks Scope103 for your help the link you gave looks very useful. I did purchase a workshop manual but it isn't as detailed as what you have given me.

1) The Ute: 1997 Toyota Hilux RN85R - Cab Chasis Petrol 2x4

The 1993 and 1997 are so much alike.

2) The fuse that says A/C is in the passenger side wall pillar under glove compartment, it has a heater fuse there as well - both are intact. The A/C fuse is 10amp the blower relay looks like it is next to it and under all of that is the emmisions box.

Behind the glove box is the fan blower next to it is a black box with a relay and another switch thing that looks like it sets the temperature for the a/c - I haven't followed those wires back yet as I will need to remove the top of the dash (may do that anyway as I'm thinking of relining the dash with carbon fibre look). Maybe something else is hidden back there.

ON the drivers side is another heap of fuses that is where the BLOWER one is located along with the radio one etc - there is a relay in there as well - Hidden above that up behind the speaker is the indicator relay - I have found that due to swapping out to LED.

Under the bonnet are about 4 standard fuses, some interesting looking fuses and relays for the starter etc. I cannot see anything else hidden under the bonnet.

3) The switch for the a/c looked average when I opened it, I was going to re-do the solder joins but there looked like moisture may have got into it - possibly from over armor oil use by my dad in the past (it has been his ute prior to me getting it a few months back).

4) I have 2 x multimeters I just hadn't pulled them out as I thought it was a simple fix - yeah right.

I'll continue to work through what you have sent on the link but any other ideas would be great. The A/C was chilling me down real good then nothing no green light no action when the button was depressed.

Cheers D

anndel 12-08-2015 03:54 PM

It happened to me last week on my 93 4x4 with 22RE engine. The a/c light comes on but doesn't get cold. Belt's good but no Freon in the sightglass meaning it all leaked out. There's a pressure switch when the Freon reaches below a critical point, it'll disengage the magnetic clutch on the compressor to not damage it. I redid the a/c about 8 years ago where it did the same. I replaced the compressor, expansion valve and dryer. I'm guessing it's the condenser or evaporator this time but it maybe the parts I replaced. Not sure if I'm going to fix it this time.

BTW checked the a/c fuse and it's good. Magnetic clutch not engaging when a/c switch is on. Checked the a/c switch with a ohmmeter and it does what it's supposed to do, according to the FSM.

RJR 12-09-2015 10:31 AM

You say you're not getting a green light. According to my wiring diagram (94 4runner), in order for the light to light, all of the following conditions must be true.
- Ignition switch on
- 40A heater fuse good.
- Front heater relay (blower relay) energized. (Blower must be on)
- AC fuse good
- AC switch closed

Figure out which of those conditions is false and you should have it. If those all look good you have a break in your wiring somewhere.

Note: Just because you have a green light doesn't mean your AC will work. There are other issues that can keep the AC from working, but until you get a green light you can't effectively troubleshoot those.

Edit: One other thing. You shouldn't be able to blow the blower fuse by miswiring the AC switch or shorting something out there. The AC fuse (10 amps) should blow well before the 40A blower fuse blows. Something may be miswired or you have a bad blower. Does your blower work at all?

scope103 12-09-2015 12:09 PM

As I read this diagram http://web.archive.org/web/201102052.../2aircondi.pdf the 40A heater fuse is NOT in the A/C Circuit. The heater relay is, so everything else Ron says appears to be correct.

To repeat what Ron said: the green light just means the switch is closed and is powering the A/C Amplifier. It doesn't mean the Amplifier is doing anything. If you work at Three Mile Island you'll know exactly what that means.