Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Broken 1st gen rain gutters

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken 1st gen rain gutters

after viewing this thread, myself having broken rain gutters.

how did you repair yours? I've thought about molding and shaping some fiberglass, then repainting. But I am curious as to what others have done. the broken gutters are pretty darn ugly
Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I've not done anything 'bout mine....yet! I keep waiting until I have the time to do it. I have quite a bit of body work to do, actually. But, my idea was the same as yours with the fiberglass until I discovered these aluminum rails at Lowe's that I believe are for making window panes. ?? (Not sure) Anyhow, I don't have any pics of the pieces I intend to use, but the idea is that it will make a channel and be bolted through the top where the gutters are....or were, once I've completely cut them off. Then, I'll have a long piece of flat aluminum stock as a back plate. All I need to come up with is something for gasket material. Once installed, the rails/gutters will provide a good, solid (and even longer) anchor to clamp the rack to.

HOWEVER!!! In the event this idea doesn't work as intended, I'm going to just cut an appropriately sized piece of angle iron...one side of the angle being reduced to the measurement of the gutter's reach...and slap on a gasket and back plate. In reality, I may wind up actually having to go this route. I think it will be a lot sturdier and easier to deal with.

Anyhow, I scrapped the fiberglass repair idea when I figured I just didn't think it would be very strong for a load. It would, I think, look the best.

Whatever I do I intend to post some pics. This issue has been gone over in a couple of older threads I can remember and the idea might prove helpful...hopefully.

Would you have any ideas for making some sturdy gaskets, by chance?

Last edited by thook; 04-06-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

If I put a rack back on, I would use the top rail mount system. I've even thought of cutting off the existing gutters and just not having any at all. Or similar to your idea, building some out of aluminum channel and using glass or body filler to smooth the lines.

screw it, I'll just sell one of my kids and get a can-back!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Hey, hey! I'll throw in some dogs. We can make a package deal on the Asian market....then we'll both have can-backs!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thook
Hey, hey! I'll throw in some dogs. We can make a package deal on the Asian market....then we'll both have can-backs!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I managed to save te piece that busted off - glued it back on with expoxy and then drilled holes for the Yakima side loader things in back.

I use the metal gutter now.

Next is to isntall Yakima "landing pads" on top...
Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
I managed to save te piece that busted off - glued it back on with expoxy and then drilled holes for the Yakima side loader things in back.

I use the metal gutter now.

Next is to isntall Yakima "landing pads" on top...
That's a good idea. I'd thougt of it and would have done that, except all the piece were too tiny for glueing...shredded! I even managed to crank a bit of the metal gutter on one side....

You will post a pic of the new set up, won't you? For all our eyes to see?