86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broke down in Boulder CO with 500mi to go! Please help. Newb here

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Broke down in Boulder CO with 500mi to go! Please help. Newb here

Hey folks I am Clint from lawrence ks, I am currently stuck in boulder colorado with my brother, because my truck decided that the rocky mountains were just too much for him! Got 340,000 miles and is on the second motor (first hit 285k)
<br>
The problem started when I was coming out of a HARD mountain drive. By that I mean ON-road driving for about 5 hours of constant using the gears to speed up and slow down rarely using the brakes. It isn't a tranny problem, its my driver wheel is making what started as a click-click-click-click and now is CLANK-CLANK-CLANK. Its progessively worse after only maybe 50 miles and is now nearly undriveable. I think it may be a wheel bearing, but It's one of the only things I've never replaced on a car, Can anyone give me a few minutes of their time and write a decent set of instructions or point me where to find the information? Hynes, chilton, and ALLDATA do NOT have the information, thanks guys.
-Clint

Moderator Edit for clarity:

The problem is in rear driver side hub area. Most of us think an axle seal or wheel bearing but it could be an issue with the drum brake.

The vehicle is 1991 dlx 22re 5 speed 4x4.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 05-21-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have manual hubs and is it a 4x4 could be your cv axle check too see if its cracked split and covered in grease. cool also be your wheel bearing needs grease or replacment..
both of which with some sockets could be on the road at almost any parts store in a few hours!!
got pics?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM

don't have pics available. its a 4x4 with a non locking rear. nothin protrudes past the rim, so I believe thats not the full floating, im not sure. But I think whatever is wrong needs more than grease, its clunks like you hit a pothole on that side.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the question was more like-
what year, engine, etc?
noise coming from front or back?
manual or automatic front hubs?

pretty much anything you can tell us about your truck will help. just saying it's making noise and stating "driver wheel" for where the noise comes from is uninformative.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM

lol this is true, sorry for not making things clear. 1991 dlx 22re 5 speed 4x4. Driver's side rear wheel. Don't believe it's from rear end, just wheel. Changed the rims and tired today and noise continued after the change, so rule out loose lug nuts. It is very loud and makes a jolt every time you push the gas normally.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:55 PM

Send a PM to TC or Lysmachia. They are members here, who live close to were you are. I 'm more than sure they can/would help you out.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 on TC or Lys. never met em, but they seem to be great folks, im sure theyd be willin to help ya out.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Guys. I wish Troy and I could help - but this kind of diagnostic is out of our hands unless we see it. And unfortunately we are both booked up tomorrow with a fabrication project with another friend already in Loveland. I want to help but we can't until Sunday at the earliest!

I already sent Clint a PM about some ideas to look for.

1) Take the wheel off.

2) Take brake drum off. What can you see?

3) Check the fluid level in your rear diff. Is it too low? If so it *could be the gears*, but from what you said it is coming from the hub assembly.

After you rule out the drum brake, It's gonna be hard to tell if it is an Axle Seal or Wheel Bearing. You can't just take these things off. And to fix em (at least the axle seal) you need a huge press.

BTW here is what happened to me when my rear driver side wheel bearing failed 2 years ago. It went just like that. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-ride-113260/ (Not to freak you out)

Again if you can get over to Boulder Toyota tomorrow see if you can ask the tech crew if you can talk to Jacob Saunders. (He might have a number on his web site http://www.toycrawlers.com/ ) Tell him I sent you. He is a lead tech at Boulder Toyota. He might be able to help for cheaper after work tomorrow. I know you are looking for a way to do this cheap, but this might be one of those things that you need professional help with!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Here is Jacob's contact info! http://www.toycrawlers.com/contact.html (Too late to call tonight) I am also editing your title so maybe more folks near by (in Colorado) will notice and respond!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
no where in the thread is front or rear spoken of

am I missing something here?

I see "Driver's side rear wheel. Don't believe it's from rear end, just wheel.", sooo... it's the driver's side, I see that, but you DON'T think it's the read end, as in you don't think its the rear end gearing, or you don't think it's from the rear tires at all??? I'm confused... maybe just tired...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM

well if it is the wheel bearing, is that a whole differential disasembly? or just pulls out the end. Every guy ive talked to says wheel bearing, also the shop i just started in lawrence told me probably the wheel bearing, but couldnt be 100%

Last edited by Lysmachia; 05-21-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Accidental edit ;)
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by eastwood440
lol this is true, sorry for not making things clear. 1991 dlx 22re 5 speed 4x4. Driver's side rear wheel. Don't believe it's from rear end, just wheel. Changed the rims and tired today and noise continued after the change, so rule out loose lug nuts. It is very loud and makes a jolt every time you push the gas normally.

says rear right there! and thanks for all the info about contacting him, I will probably do that tomorrow!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

You know I really can't say either without seeing it. And changing it can be a pain. It depends on the rig and setup. Can you clarify what you own in your first post. Also calrify you think it is a wheel bearing on the rear driverside wheel... That will help others who see this thread to help you. (Since Troy and I are kinda stuck working on something else tomorrow).
Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds lke your hub or CV. Neither are super critical to your getting home or even that expensive (part-wise) to replace if you ruin them.
  1. Do you have manual hubs? Check they are unlocked.
  2. How frequent is the knocking noise? On knock per tire rotation?
  3. are you accidentally in 4wd?
  4. is it a u-joint? if so, it would feel like its right underneath you, because it is. AND it would be clanking more frequently than once/ tire revolution.

I'm a couple beers short of a six pack (real beer, 7% stuff) figuratively and literally, so that's the best I've got for you at the moment.

Last edited by Matt16; 05-21-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eastwood440
says rear right there! and thanks for all the info about contacting him, I will probably do that tomorrow!
well right, I see that, but then... nevermind

so it's coming from the rear...
Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
Sounds lke your hub or CV. Neither are super critical to your getting home or even that expensive (part-wise) to replace if you ruin them.
GUYS! It is his REAR DRIVER SIDE HUB. Unfortunatly Clint didn't make this too clear on his first post which I am gonna go edit now so it is clear...

It's ok It happens....
Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
GUYS! It is his REAR DRIVER SIDE HUB. Unfortunatly Clint didn't make this too clear on his first post which I am gonna go edit now so it is clear...

It's ok It happens....
how are you so sure?

lol, just kid'n

if it turns out to be the bearing, the first thing I would do in a bind is find a salvage yard in the area and see if it's got a Toy with a rear axle still in it

pull the brake line and parking brake cable off, remove the 4 bolts, and just slide that bad-boy in your housing to get you home

we did that with my buddy's 90 on the way back from a wheeling trip, lol

a lot cheaper than a shop's going to charge you right out to service the bearing (only cost us $40 for the entire axel/bearing/brakes assymbley, and about 15 minutes of out time to pull, and another 15 to install it and bleed the brakes; the shop accross the street wanted it for half the day, and $120 to do the work), plus you end up with an extra axel shaft (who knows )

then once home, you can worry about getting a new bearing pressed into you old housing and onto the old axel, then swap er right back in and be good to go

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-21-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
how are you so sure?

lol, just kid'n
Punk!

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
if it turns out to be the bearing, the first thing I would do in a bind is find a salvage yard in the area and see if it's got a Toy with a rear axle still in it
That's a damned good Idea. And just for you Clint here is a list I keep on CoTTORA of good colorado salvage yards! I'd try the toyota related ones first!

* Jim's Used Toyota Parts - Denver - 303.506.5119

* Yota Yard - Denver - 303.223.7533

* Blake's Auto Salvage - Erie - 303.665.4312

* Central Foreign Auto Parts - Denver - 303.295.2277

* Loveland Auto Salvage - Loveland - 970.667.5339

* C&E (All Truck) Used Parts - Pueblo, but supplies a lot of the yards in Denver - 1.800.704.2888 (Very helpful!)

* Al's Auto Sales & Salvage - Denver - 1.800.726.4220
Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Punk!

That's a damned good Idea. And just for you Clint here is a list I keep on CoTTORA of good colorado salvage yards! I'd try the toyota related ones first!

* Jim's Used Toyota Parts - Denver - 303.506.5119

* Yota Yard - Denver - 303.223.7533

* Blake's Auto Salvage - Erie - 303.665.4312

* Central Foreign Auto Parts - Denver - 303.295.2277

* Loveland Auto Salvage - Loveland - 970.667.5339

* C&E (All Truck) Used Parts - Pueblo, but supplies a lot of the yards in Denver - 1.800.704.2888 (Very helpful!)

* Al's Auto Sales & Salvage - Denver - 1.800.726.4220
well thank ya

experience pays off eventually I guess lol

dang, I wish there were Toy-devoted yards around these parts... I'm lucky to FIND a Toy, much less one with any usable parts left on it, in ANY salvage yards around here, lol

good luck Clint, and keep us posted on what you find!

irronically, the buddy I was with who's truck we had to put that axel in, his name was Clint, lol
hey that makes you the 3rd Clint I know of with a Toy, lol. There's my buddy here in town, Clint here on YT know as SwampThing (aka Toy Killer ), and you!

wow, when I get tired, I bring up some wierd ish and just ramble on about it

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-21-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 PM

all this information is great!!!!! thanks guys and gals. Ill call some yards tomorrow and see what they have.Hopefully I will get it all figure out and I will keep you posted. thanks!

Quick Reply: Broke down in Boulder CO with 500mi to go! Please help. Newb here