Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brakes: Where can I get disc/drums/pads/shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brakes: Where can I get disc/drums/pads/shoes?

Yep, tax returns just came in. Now I have some money to fix my brakes. My budget is about 400 for everything (drums, shoes, discs, pads) and I could use some help. Less would be better though. My rotors now are warped, and I must say, it gets HOT here. Something that can withstand heat would be a plus.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what the total cost would be, but you don't want to skimp on brakes and get subpar parts. Stopping well is a GOOD thing.

https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/ Purchased items many times from here and saved $$$ on OEM parts.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 AM

yeah, but i remember hearing on here somewhere that someone got rotors with lifetime warrenty for cheap. forget where or maybe that was pads.. hmm. anyways its 100 bucks a rotor. drums are more. crap.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
autozone offers lifetime warrenty pads
Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

I do like Akebono ceramic brake pads since they are almost virtually dust free,don't squeak and they lasted me a long time. I went with a cheaper set of pads last time and I'm cleaning brake dust off every few weeks and I'm not exactly happy with them and will go back to ceramics next time.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lifetime warranty. ?
for brakes... come on!

i really like metal masters (pads)
with Brembo -drilled/slotted rotors.

but thats on my bmw, cost was 200 for the *(4 vented) rotors and about 100 for the (*8)pads

for my truck, its all oem.
add the bleeding of fluids and you will be set.
drums should be fine,

personally, i prefer the low dust pads, but remember, you just cannot add any pads to any rotors.

they must be balanced.

high dust pads will have your wheels turning black overnight, and wear out faster than rotors for longer rotor life. (plus not as grabby)

low dust pads will cost more, but also brake better, and usually wear out the rotors and pads evenly.

like the above post, braking is very important, and is often overlooked.
noises from brakes are usually from the pads themselves vibrating. and can be avoided by adding the epoxy in between the pad and the calipers. its about 50 cents a shot (shot=front/rear)

your drums may just need an adjustment.

my advice for normal driving would be OEM parts, and regular service on the fluid changes.

pretty standard stuff.
but if you want the best deal, and not in a hurry, i got my brembos from ebay and pads from a local race shop (for the bmw)... look for free shipping as it will pay b/c the rotors are heavy.

happy trails-

btw- anyone do a drum to disc brake swap out on a 1st gen?

Last edited by idanity; 01-21-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep, i agree with the above that you cannot get too cheap with brakes. buying quality parts is worth its weight in gold. i might be interested in converting my rear drums to disks and also a full floater kit.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 AM

yeah, drums to discs sound great, im not sure how to do it, and probably should get that into it. if the brakes on the truck stop, i think it will be good enough.

i have learned my lesson and will never take it to a shop. the last time i took it to one they had a "deal" for new pads, brake adjustment, and all that stuff. they said my rotors and drums WERE NOT WARPED, but when i brake i feel it grab grab grab... ALSO 6 months after the brakes were put on, squeaks came on. i dont brake hard.

good advice idanity, i will definately look for ebay rotors.
ill keep a lookout for akebono or metal master pads. i also heard hawk pads are good. low dust is great.

im looking forward to braking and have it not sound like anything. especially when those times when you see a hot girl walking down the street, you go errrrrrttttttt. haha, jk.

oh also, anyone reading this, there is an EXCELLENT writeup on i think its pirate4x4 about how to change discs AND drums with pads and shoes. i will see if i can digg up a link here.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 AM

I am about get my brakes done, I called and got a price on rotors...30 dollars a piece! thats cheap, thats all i checked on was rotors becuz my are horribly warped. but i had to double check with the man to make sure he had the right truck lol
Old 01-21-2008, 09:02 AM

where is this place??? and what kind of rotors are they?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Typically the rotors will get warped pretty quick if they are hot and you run through a big puddle of water. Other than normal hot weather and heat from braking, warpage is not a factor. I get all of my parts from the local parts store unless I am lookin for a serious upgrade in performance. I get the parts that are guaranteed for life (understanding that it is against manufacturers defects, not life of the part) and everything always works as good as factory.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM

alright guys, been searching e-bay in the meantime. found some rotors for a descent price.

the first link is drilled and slotted with free pads too! they are really close to me as well!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...em290200824954

the second is the same drilled and slotted
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...em370016298141

anyone have experience with any of these?
should i ask if they were made in china? haha.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been discussing this simlar topic in this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...rotors-135485/

So far my vote is with NAPA or Yota Rotors. I am using the NAPA brand pads with the shims. The FSM shows that shims should be used as far as I can tell.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yodaforce
Typically the rotors will get warped pretty quick if they are hot and you run through a big puddle of water. Other than normal hot weather and heat from braking, warpage is not a factor. I get all of my parts from the local parts store unless I am lookin for a serious upgrade in performance. I get the parts that are guaranteed for life (understanding that it is against manufacturers defects, not life of the part) and everything always works as good as factory.
if the rear shoes are not adjusted properly, the fronts work harder and will warp
Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 PM

could anyone answer my question about the ebay stuff? i think its a good deal, and i would like some vented and slotted rotors.

napa doesnt carry them, and the stealer is the stealer.....
Old 01-26-2008, 06:49 PM

ps. the company i was looking at (first link) had 100% feedback with over 500 people.

Last edited by infiltrator; 01-28-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
have you tried google?

and just make sure you use paypal, and that they have NO bad scores.

btw, my trucks front discs are vented double pane, (not drilled or slotted *(thats on my bmw)). and they work fine, considering i dont have ABS.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM

okay. i e-mailed the company close to me (first link on my previous post)
he said the rotors are made in china, but its 20 bucks to get a total US built and made one. so im like sure ill take that.

another question. they have "semi-metallic" brake pads. i dont want those. read on google they squeak a lot.
i heard some good things about ceramics.
am i right about metallic vs. ceramic?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 PM

imho: cheap, "soft", "organic" pads will wear before the rotors - that's good!

The concern that I have with ebay parts, is that some lack SAE approval. Like parts destined for, say, Peru, but diverted to ebay.

Best stop for the buck? Kragen's! $31.99/each rotors (Raybestos branded, if it means anything...), and $12.99/axle Satisfied Pro Series Classic pads. Outtapocket? Around $80.00!

Last edited by anotherjeff; 01-27-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 AM

wow thats a great idea too. im reading on reviews for raybestos rotors. havent heard too much bad, only thing is people say they dont last as long as oem, but hell for 30 bucks i cannot argue. also free shipping.

i was thinking. if i were to get a normal blank brake rotor, what about pad should i use. i think i will go with the 12.99 pads, or for like 12 bucks more, i could get the ceramic ones? still be under 100 for the fronts (makes me a happy camper!). i just dont want raining brake dust.

next comes the back shoes. the kragen is much cheaper than napa, and napa doesnt exactly list too many pictures, or much information about the rotors, and kragen seems to have their crap together.
buttt (buts are good) they have the same raybestos brand drums (and same type aimco)
for like a buck or two more they have the beck/arnley drums. which is better raybestos or beck?

this helps a lot. forget ebay man.

Quick Reply: Brakes: Where can I get disc/drums/pads/shoes?