Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bouncing tach, power loss, and blown "guages" fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bouncing tach, power loss, and blown "guages" fuse

I hope someone out there can help me...I really really HATE electrical gremlins!

So on the 91 p/u in my sig, I have been noticing a progressing power loss, this rig used to go pretty good on 33's, now it's bagless on 31's, then 2 days ago, I noticed the tach needle bouncing at idle, and when cruising, ie. very light throttle, when under acceleration, the tach works as its supposed to, it also started blowing the 10a "gauge" fuse in the d side kick panel...not all the time, just randomly.... Coincidence?
First thing I did was pull the coil/igniter to clean the ground to body, even pulled them from the mounting bracket to clean the mating surfaces (quite rusty/dirty) that did nothing, I have recently replaced the wires/cap/rotor/plugs/fuel filter/o2 sensor... no help with the power loss.
Should I be looking for a new igniter/coil, or could this have something to do with the tps, or ect sensors? Possibly a weak coil/igniter? It has no idle problems (other than rough idle, no loping or surging), no codes, just feels like a random miss. I can pull plug wires 1 by 1, and it makes no difference...Which I find strange. Also...will the tps from my 93 work with the 91? It looks the same, but the connector on the p/u faces the d side, where as the tps on the runners faces the pass side.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

*edit* forgot to mention...it is an aftermarket tach, it was in the truck when I got it...or I would have just done the sr5 cluster swap.

Last edited by Team420; 10-06-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 PM

ect tests fine. Tps is within spec. I disconnected the tach, and tried it in my 94, worked fine, with no bouncing needle at idle.
What really gets me about this, is the 10a guage fuse, It's not consistent, it has happened about once a day in the past 3 days. According to the ewd, the only link between the tach, and guages would be the igniter, which "could" cause a rough running condition, and misfires??? Is there a procedure to test the igniter? I see nothin of it in the fsm...
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 AM

Well.... I guess this is what I get for assuming I had an ignition/electrical problem. Should have done the compression test BEFORE anything else.
I decided this morning to just check the coolant level, it was just a tad low, but I noticed that it smelled a lot like gas, and had a bit of a film floating on top. I then decided to pull my plugs... cyl's 1,2,,4,5,6 were white indicating a slightly lean mixture, cyl 3 was wet fouled, and covered with fuel... Here things started to click in my head... so I pulled out my handy dandy little compression tester and, got these resluts...
cyl1 - 180psi
cyl3 - 90psi
cyl6 - 178psi
I didnt bother to check bank 2 cuz those plugs all looked the same as cyl's 1 and 5, I will later on today tho.
At this point, I suspect my h/g has failed.... what a suck pill!! I need this rig to get firewood!
My next qustion i guess... Would it be easier to fix this motor, or swap in the 92 3vze I have on the engine stand... the 92 has only 135k on it, and ran great before I pulled it, I also have a 3" body lift on the p/u, so that should make getting to the top bolts on the bellhousing easier.... the only problem with this... the upper plenum is gonna have to come off either way, and I'm gonna have to switch some sensors, and the dizzy... other than that....Idk what I wanna do... I'm due for inspection at the end of the month also... so I'm gonna try to get stickered, then decide what to do... not much point in doin anything, if I can't get a sticker.
What y'all think?