Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body or suspension lift

Well, i just wanted to know which would be:
-easier to install
-cheaper
-allows bigger tires
-looks better
-pro's / con's of each

I basically want to raise my truck (1994 4 cyl 2wd) for looks basically to get the bigger tires thing going on. I really never plan on doing any offroading so I pretty much just want it to look cool.

thanks for the help in advance.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Go with the body lift. It will suit your needs the best
Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 PM

i heard that body lifts can produc gaps between the bumper / body and the frame though. could this be easily remedied?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Some body lift kits come with the brackets to lift the bumpers and have skirts to hide the gap between the body and frame.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 AM

You can always make some skirts.
Bigblock
Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Body gaps are just cosmetic, man. They can be over come. you can make your own skirts like BigBlock said.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xzyragon
Well, i just wanted to know which would be:
-easier to install body lift
-cheaper body lift
-allows bigger tires either
-looks better suspension lift
-pro's / con's of each

I basically want to raise my truck (1994 4 cyl 2wd) for looks basically to get the bigger tires thing going on. I really never plan on doing any offroading so I pretty much just want it to look cool.

thanks for the help in advance.
Both lift options have their ups and downs. Mostly addressed above.

On the 2wd, you're kind of limited with options. If you have an automatic, body lifts get "iffy" since no one I know of makes a kit for column shift auto's and the shift linkage on the floor shifter auto's is picky about its angles. Body lifting a stick isn't a huge issue though. If you go above an inch or so, the steering column will likely require a special mount through the firewall to allow the body to raise ... which is the reason no one offers a body lift for the column shift automatic- the shift linkage passes through the same bushing as, and below, the steering shaft.

Total chaos and Downey both make long-travel kits for the 2wd which net around 2-4" lift up front. Obsessed Motor Sports makes lift spindles and add about 3" lift up front as well. Sdori and 4Crawler sell BJ spacers which net about 1.5" lift. So if you get radical about it, you could attain about 6-8" of suspension lift up front. I don't think I'd use BJ spacers with the long-travel kits though.

In the rear... that's another story.

The spring is under the axle basically ruling out blocks. Given that... extended shackles can add a little, add-a-leafs can add some, custom springs can add a bit but I'd recommend top mounting the springs over the axle for the most bang for the buck. Keep an eye on the driveshaft slip yoke and u-joint angles. Too much lift and those will need addressed.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-27-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Both lift options have their ups and downs. Mostly addressed above.

On the 2wd, you're kind of limited with options. If you have an automatic, body lifts get "iffy" since no one I know of makes a kit for column shift auto's and the shift linkage on the floor shifter auto's is picky about its angles. Body lifting a stick isn't a huge issue though. If you go above an inch or so, the steering column will likely require a special mount through the firewall to allow the body to raise ... which is the reason no one offers a body lift for the column shift automatic- the shift linkage passes through the same bushing as, and below, the steering shaft.

Total chaos and Downey both make long-travel kits for the 2wd which net around 2-4" lift up front. Obsessed Motor Sports makes lift spindles and add about 3" lift up front as well. Sdori and 4Crawler sell BJ spacers which net about 1.5" lift. So if you get radical about it, you could attain about 6-8" of suspension lift up front. I don't think I'd use BJ spacers with the long-travel kits though.

In the rear... that's another story.

The spring is under the axle basically ruling out blocks. Given that... extended shackles can add a little, add-a-leafs can add some, custom springs can add a bit but I'd recommend top mounting the springs over the axle for the most bang for the buck. Keep an eye on the driveshaft slip yoke and u-joint angles. Too much lift and those will need addressed.