Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

blowing smoke/steam...but BHG was recently fixed...what else could it be??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question blowing smoke/steam...but BHG was recently fixed...what else could it be??

I found this 4runner for sale, and i kinda think it has a BHG, but since the lady tells me the HG was recently replaced, i wanted to ask you all to see if it could be something else... i have a feeling it just popped again... here are the details.

1990 Toyota 4Runner
V6 - yeah...thats why i suspect another BHG...but who knows
176,000 miles
head gaskets replaced 40,000 miles ago
motor rebuild only 30,000 miles ago (she said thats $4000 right there) practically everything has been replaced on this car except the starter.
it has a various small issues and the body and inteterior are not great, just ok.
however it practically new tires and rims that are worth $1200 alone

she is asking $2000 for it... but may go lower.

Here's what she replied with when i asked her to elaborate on the smoke it just began to blow, causing them to get fed up and get rid of it...

"Ok, so here's the deal. this vehicle has had various problems and recently was having thermostat/overheating problems. we fixed them and everything was fine. i drove the truck thurs. morning and everything worked great, no smoke. i came home and parked it for 2.5 hours. then when i started it up tons of very white, thick smoke came pouring out. it continued to do so for about 8 miles. my husband looked at it and said the oil was overfull and drained it all out and replaced it, making sure not to put too much in. there was some moisture coming from the tailpipe but it did not seem to contain oil or antifreeze so we were kind of puzzled. when i tried to drive it home it started overheating and i limped home, the engine light came on about a block from my house. at that point we parked, said enough is enough and bought a new car. however yesterday, i went to move it off the street and it started up fine, very litte smoke was present and the engine light was no longer on. so i drove it around the block and everything seemed fine. at this point we dont really know what is going on and since we have a new car we just want to get rid of this one. if you are at all interested then give me a call. there are alot of good parts on this truck and it is very possible that it can be fixed."
Old 02-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Go check it out and look under the oil cap for milky stuff. Drive and check for yourself but, knowing the 3vze it's BHG
Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 PM

yeah, i figure its a BHG.... and if she let it overheat it could be one even if it wasn't to start out with...

and i actually think 2k is really pushing it for a truck that needs engine work... now that i think of it.

i was just hoping that maybe there was a common problem with a coolant line or maybe the fact that they over filled the oil....

i've dealt with a BHG in my supra and i have a pretty good idea what to look for for a BHG... its just that i thought maybe there could be something electronic or something that intermittantly causes the truck to run like CRAP....but then that wouldnt explain overheating. oh well..

unless there is another thing that could cause this, i'll pass it up. i can do better than 2k and probably get a cleaner truck. there was one around here for around 1k with rod knock...and it looked nice. its just that the owner of this one doesnt know whats wrong.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Yea, thats a BHG. 100% sure. My parents just went through this very thing. It was running great one second, then whammo it blew the #1 cylinder apart. As for being a rebuild....thats what happens with rebuilds. They are never as good as factory engines, and when they are not done correctly, this type of issue arises.

If it was rebuilt just 30,000 ago, you may be lucky enough to just have to do gaskets. but BE SURE to have the heads checked, and magnafluxed for cracks.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 AM

ok, thanks for the info, exactly what i was looking for.

i will definitly pass this up....i had to do a BHG gix on my car myself and i dont have time for another one...