Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Big Thanks to toyota_mdt_tech!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Thanks to toyota_mdt_tech!

I bought a '93 pickup and it came with that pleasent spindle bushing noise during the cold temps come winter here in Alaska. The guy I bought it from said it was common to these older pickups.

I took it in for the steering arm recall and asked the service guy about the noise, and he said that there was no known fix for it and all these older trucks do it. I went away thinking that this could not be "normal".

As the winter became colder the noise became more irritating. I started googling and came upon this wonderfull site. I then started searching but since I didn't know exactly what I was looking for it took a while to find the possible answers.

Then a post by toyota_mdt_tech came up in answering some bearing spindle bushing issues and he posted up his shop made tool for lubing the bushings. I used that info and the jimrockford info on swaping the spindle bushings for needle bearings to put together my attack on the front end of my '93 yesterday. It was as easy as toyota_mdt_ tech said it would be. I need to re check the pre load, but will wait for warmer weather since I can't work in a garage.

spindle luber by toyota_mdt_tech

It was 1.5 degrees this morning and my truck rolled out of the driveway and down the street with only the noise of a cold transmission and the tires slipping on the ice and snow. No loud bushing groaning as I turned the corners. Pure joy.

So toyota_mdt_tech, if you drink buy one on me tonight. And jimrockford you can buy one on me as well.

Now I am just waiting for the shifter seat bushings to come in from Marlin Crawler and my "clutch" proplems should be fixed soon.

This site is wonderfull, and the search features are wonderfull. There is almost too much info on here, but thanks to the posts I have a normal, quiet truck this morning. And that is too cool.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will agree and bump this...Thanks to the ones that know more than me and are willing to help out.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AK Ray
So toyota_mdt_tech, if you drink buy one on me tonight. And jimrockford you can buy one on me as well.
.....just don't forget to send them the money for the drink or it will be on them anyway lol gotta love a free
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Not really related but, I just got my marlin crawler shifter seat and bushing, going to install them when I get my clutch done ( as soon as my mechanic can do it) Hopfally it will fix them sloppy shifts