Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Beware Of Clutch Bracket Fatigue!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea just adjust the clutch master...
Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is why I'm going for an automatic swap in a year or so. Had a 96 sidekick do the same thing. The clutch pedal actually broke at the shaft. Replaced it with OEM and it broke a week later. Took it to a friend's to have his dad weld it back together. Worked fine until I sold it (and moved out of country).

Now here I am with another truck with clutch issues. It's not worth the hassle. Maybe I can find someone who wants to trade an auto for a stick shift.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO thats a horrible reason to trade to an auto. lol
The following users liked this post:
stomper4x4 (06-03-2019)
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by toylocost
IMO thats a horrible reason to trade to an auto. lol
I also want to trade because my left knee is getting worse and worse, and it's getting hard to shift a manual.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 AM

clutch less shifting FTW! lol

I like manual trans over auto personally, but nothing wrong with a automatic.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
OK but only if you put a 5vz in at the same time. lol. I've had bad experience with these autos thats the only reason I hate them.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 PM

So my buddy just bought a 91 4runner with the 5speed and guess what.........

Well that bracket is broken too. So guess what we are welding up this weekend?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 904_runner
Thanks guys. Its just one of those pita things you odn't really want to deal with you know?

Plus im not the tiniest of guys and working under the dash is horrible.
Guess while im working on stuff under there maybe i can actually hook up my start wire to the starter relay and hook up my cb/rocklights.
see, great. kill 2 birds with 1 stone. fix the pedal, and hook up ur relay and cb/rocklights.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Yea that didn't happen..

LOL
Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah.... oh well. my pedal is making that creaking noise now too... not all the time, but i kind of feel a grinding under my foot while im letting off the clutch.... looks like im in for a jolly good time sometime soon.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 AM

Okay, I have a 92 pickup, extended cab V6 and mine broke a couple of weeks ago, took it out on a Thursday, had it welded on Friday, installed it Saturday evening and Sunday Morning. I was well informed ahead of time from these posts what to expect, but I will give my description of how I did it;
Removed lower part of dash; 4-5 screws, unclipped speaker wire, left hood cable connected, moved out of the way, removed part of the vent, (It just pulls apart)
Removed Bracket bolts; two for the Clutch Master cylinder under the hood, they're 4 for the brake booster under the dash, one above the brake pedal, one above the clutch pedal and one more below the clutch master through the firewall, pulled clutch master and booster away from the firewall without binding the lines.
All is good up to this point, then oh crap, it won’t come around the steering column, from here I only read that someone had removed part of the steering column, another removed the Brake pedal, as I did not want to loose steering capabilities while driving I figured it would be safer removing the brake pedal, (I could downshift if needed), it’s a REAL pita getting a wrench on the brake bolt to remove, but doable.
After removing the brake pedal, it twisted out just fine. It was broke at the top clutch master cylinder bolt, I had it welded and a little reinforcement and now installing.
Now the bracket went in just fine, but if you removed that freaking brake pedal, good luck getting it back in, if you have an assistant they will only tell you to stop cursing so loud, as they will be of no help.
If someone has better instructions feel free to tell me or let me know where to look, maybe removing that steering column may not have been a bad idea in hindsight, I just was to afraid to do it. I have a feeling I will be doing this again sometime soon.
By the way I ordered a bracket that goes between the clutch master and the firewall that may keep it from moving as I believe this may have been what caused the break, (poorly designed bracket contributed). Clutch backing plate, 55113-34010. It may not help, but couldn’t hurt I guess.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM

I believe this is my problem as well. I have only had the 4runner for a few months. My clutch seems fine but shifting is a chore. The bracket I assume is under the dash from what I have read above. There is so much flex in this bracket that I have to used the start clutch cancel button. Any input on my problem, does it seem like my bracket is broken? I have a 89 4runner, would the bracket work from that year in my 95?
Any input would be awesome, I want to get this fixed asap.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM

Where can I find a clutch bracket? Is it called a clutch pedal bracket or is that just a term that is not working on any part sites that I have researched? Want to get this fixed, asap.

Appreciate your help
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my truck shifts great but i have an creaking sound too, i was thinking it was needing some grease im going to look at this asap
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 PM

*Anybody want a pic of the 1/2" piece of square stock we welded into ours? Not only fixed the minor crack but reinforced the heck out of it.
(Welded it along the top and inside, it's going nowhere.)

Note, another thing to watch for on models with not just the light spring but the heavy return spring is the ears of the spring getting fatigued. We bent the ears back out stuffed it back in an so far so good.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 AM

Yeah, I started hearing a creak or crack when pressing the clutch pedal, thought it was the spring at first, I even took it to a shop and he said it was the firewall and needed welding, I kept adjusting the clutch rod out to get the truck to shift thinking the firewall would keep moving toward the cab and I would just keep an eye on it, but this only caused it to break even further, I was out one day and CRACK! I had to use the clutch start button to get home. Then, after reading so much on here about the bracket and not noticing any movement in the firewall, I really looked at that bracket and found the crack, it was at the top left bolt that goes through the firewall. Its not to hard to remove, just find out if it is easier to remove the brake pedal or steering column to get it all the way out, clutch can stay on unless your going to replace the whole bracket. If mine breaks again, I will buy a new one and have it welded before I reinstall it. actually weld both, one for backup.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Anyone have a write up for this with pictures? I'm hearing the bracket creaking (hoping it's just the hot weather.) I really have bad luck with clutch pedals :-(

I swear, if this one breaks I'm fixing it and ditching it for an automatic truck. Maybe I can finance a tacoma.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM

Basically you need to go under the dash and make sure it is infact broken.

Then once it is detereminded, if it is.

I took apart the dash, the lower part only.
Took the bolts off the bracket, spend some time making sure. The 2 for the clutch master, four for the brake booster, i took off both the clutch and brake pedals, along with all the sensors attatched to the bracket. There are a couple more bolts you need to find, that you will see when you get under there.

Then you will pull out the bracket. It is a pain in the butt, so just have some patience and it will get removed. Then either reweld the bracket or go buy a new bracket. Then install and reassemble and your done.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Just another who had to have the broken clutch pedal bracket repaired. I hope Toyota improved the design for the replacement part. If you elect to weld it or have it welded, I'd recommend that you reinforce it good. The flexing that caused the failure will reoccur unless you do, and the metal in that area is already work-hardened and will likely just crack again next to your weld. My $0.02
Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM

I tripple checked me bracket again. I can't see or feel any cracks or fractures. But it's still creaking. I don't know if the creaking is new or if I just never noticed it before. I think I may just be paranoid, but I have every reason to be (had clutch issues too many times previouslt leaving my stranded.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beware Of Clutch Bracket Fatigue!