Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best SNOWBOARD rack for 2nd Gen. 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best SNOWBOARD rack for 2nd Gen. 4runner?

I have a rackless 2nd gen 4runner and am looking to install some sort of rack/mount to transport snowboards back and forth from the bay to tahoe.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Do i need the factory rack to use one of those yakima snowboard racks?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:37 PM

THULE hands down...check out my link....make sure you get the box to keep the road grime off your board.

my truck doesnt have thefactory rack..just bolts onto the rain drip edge.

Hows the snow in Tahoe????
Old 01-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hill
Hows the snow in Tahoe????
Great!

Just had about a foot come in at lake level. Another storm is supposed to come through around tuesday.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

yakima makes a good rack too.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 PM

Yakima can also "clamp" on to my rackless 4runner?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, there are kinds that plug into the factory roof rack rails, and others that clamp onto the door sills
Old 01-17-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by calrockx
yeah, there are kinds that plug into the factory roof rack rails, and others that clamp onto the door sills
Are you talking about yakima racks or just snowboard racks in general? What should I ask if I am looking ti buy a snowboard rack for a rackless 4runner?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pardon a rack idot, but *I* thought your talking about 2 diffrent things.

yack or Thule offer the mount points and round cross bar that go accross the roof.

Then you can add any number of accessory mounts (bike, ski, snowboard, surf, canoe, kyiac, stoarge thingie etc) to those cross bars.

so first youve got to get something mounted to your roof to hold the accossory mounts. then you can buy whatever snowboard mounts that attach to those bars you want. (as far as i konw)
Old 01-17-2006, 07:33 AM

I'm looking for something to "clip-on" or atach to my RACKLESS 4runner so I can transport my snowboard.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:43 AM

in that case you probably want the door-frame type that was mentioned before. they can cost a bit but are sturdier than the factory rack adapter version. these will be over the front of the roof, where the doors are, not the back like the factory rack.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eyeseeyou
Are you talking about yakima racks or just snowboard racks in general? What should I ask if I am looking ti buy a snowboard rack for a rackless 4runner?

yeah, the racks. look on the yakima website, you'll see.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by hokiruu
in that case you probably want the door-frame type that was mentioned before. they can cost a bit but are sturdier than the factory rack adapter version. these will be over the front of the roof, where the doors are, not the back like the factory rack.

What brands? Do you have any suggestions on which rack to use? Any ones to NOT get? I seen some yakima and thule racks on sale on craigslist. What should I look for?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:51 AM

from what i've found, thule and yakima are the only ones i would buy. although the thule are definitely nice and possibly little better than the yakima, i just can't justify the extra cost over yakima. it seems like every thule piece i have found is about 20-30% more expensive for a comparable piece from yakima. just my $.02.

I got a sweet trailer hitch locking 4-bike rack from rackattack.com. ORS racks direct (google it) also seem very good. while there are other brands, i like the fact that replacement parts are easy to get from these companies if you need them and i think both offer sets of locks withonly one key for your entire car system.

snowboarding is my main thing and I will eventually be buying a Yakima board rack or cargo container and adapters to fit onto my factory rack.

the cargo baskets is one area that from my limited looking has me thinking that thule might be better.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:26 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are ones that are just like padded straps that grip around the door sills, but one trip with those, and you'll be shopping for a Yakima or Thule!

Why not just put them in the back?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

IMO, the cool thing about the rack-style that mounts on the doors (not the factory rack rails in the back) is that it is MUCH easier to access stuff. you can stand on the lip of the cabin (or your sliders/runningboards) instead of doing a balancing act on the rear tire.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by sandcrawler
IMO, the cool thing about the rack-style that mounts on the doors (not the factory rack rails in the back) is that it is MUCH easier to access stuff. you can stand on the lip of the cabin (or your sliders/runningboards) instead of doing a balancing act on the rear tire.
very true indeed. plus you wont get your clothes all dirty leaning against your filthy rig while standing on the rear wheel or bumper. the downside is if it's raining or something, unless you have stool or something handy, you have to have the doors open to stand on. no biggie though. that's why we should all install running boards, haha.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:21 AM

I just bought the Yak Lift Ticket 6 - EASILY holds 2 boards and 4 pairs of skis, or 4 boards and a couple of pairs of skis. - I got mine from RackAttack - I do have the factory rack which made mounting quite easy with their accessory clips (Mighty Mount -$20 more +/-). Check out the site, they DO have a solution for you with NO rack, it'll just cost a bit more...

My truck only has 31's and no lift so I can still stand on the ground, unlock the rack and get the first board(s) down....I just open the rear passenger door to access the remainder of the gear...my daugters have to stand on the door sill but, but they can still reach most of the gear.

For us - with two skiers and two riders, it's way better to be able to stash the gear up top and have plenty of room in the way back for gear bags, coolers, whatever - get a rack, you won't go back!

Mine came VERY quickly....I'd recommend RackAttack in a heartbeat.

Wes

Last edited by Wes Gardner; 01-18-2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:49 AM

Hey thanks. I'm gonna go check that out. I'm not really into 4 wheel driving so my board runners aren't a problem for me. I'll check out the yakima website and thule.