Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

BEGINNER'S 22re Timing Chain Failure / replacement / head gasket replacement

Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 TOY, thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread. I'm about to put a timing chain and oil pump in a replacement engine for my 87, and this thread is invaluable. Like you, I'm no professional, and I'm on my own with a 22RE. The pictures themselves are woth their weight in gold.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
tanx man
Old 07-04-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread was invaluable to me disassembling, cleaning up and reassembling my motor, before going in my truck.

I dont have any real world results as its only limped 5 miles from my old place to my new one with a shot carb, but Im hoping to start rebuilding the carb this week.

Im not going to lie though... Im nervous about the head gasket... Seems to be a big issue on these engines.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:32 PM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slimbobaggins
This thread was invaluable to me disassembling, cleaning up and reassembling my motor, before going in my truck.

I dont have any real world results as its only limped 5 miles from my old place to my new one with a shot carb, but Im hoping to start rebuilding the carb this week.

Im not going to lie though... Im nervous about the head gasket... Seems to be a big issue on these engines.
Keep in mind that this forum and ones like it tend to emphasize the small percentage of defects rather than the millions of HGs that never have trouble. I feel the same way you do, but I think they would hold up fine as long as you follow the rules: use OEM parts and do the job right - fully service the head and block.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM

Subscribed
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM

tools

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
probably at this point it would be pertinent to talk about what tools were necessary for me to do this job and where i got my parts.

PARTS:

www.engnbldr.com
I believe it's called the top-end kit.....whatever it's called i got it from Ted at engnbldr for just under $200.
included complete gasket set for this job (mostly) timing cover, oil pump and water pump and new head bolts

LC Engineering... for the crankshaft bolt , long allen bolt for under the thermostat and the gasket for the oil pickup tube and a oil pan drain plug gasket...i think i spent about a whole $12 or so

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...C-9BDEFE32754A

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...iteria=1013116

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...0-0D21356B8BDD

TOOLS:

breaker bar....3 foot piece of pipe from Ace Hardware
19mm 6-point impact socket from sears....VERY IMPORTANT that it be that strong as I will show how i broke stuff eventually when trying to remove the crankshaft bolt.

HARBOR FREIGHT....although the quality if tools has been called into question sometimes, i really had no problems.
-spark plug chaser..about $4
-1/4'' drive inch/lbs torque wrench
-3/8'' drive ft/lb wrench
-1/2'' drive ft/lb wrench
-a pulley holder (looks like a "Y")...very important for doing the cam gear bolt

METRIC SET...just a normal everyday metric set i actually bought as a gift for my son, but i almost exclusively used this set...about $13...was almost everything i needed. and, because over the years, my tools are scattered here and there, it was important to have a complete set.

here's a pic, after it was all done (cut off from the pic are some of the torque wrenches)

JACK STANDS.....got a nice set from SEARS....the higher the better for me as i don't like feeling claustrophobic.

FLOOR JACK and BOTTLE JACKS:
the floor jack i've had for years for changing my tires (i have 3 sets) and i used the bottle jack from my truck and the same kind from my son's 4runner.
all the jacks were put into use when it was time to take the oil pan off.

FIPG (Form In Place Gasket)...from TOYOTA

sepcifically www.trdparts4u.com
Gerone Scott (fellow YOTATECH member but no longer at Toyota of Dallas i'm sorry to say) was EXTREMELY helpful as, I'm sure they all are there.
-belts
-hose from timing cover to block
-crush washers (little metal 1-time-use washers for fuel lines)
-and, of course, a 22re sticker.

using www.trdparts4u.com saved me quite a bit of money, even compared with ordering and picking up these same parts at my local dealer.

ASSORTED RTV stuff.....i guess if you have any experience, this is all stuff you will have on hand....but i bought copper (for real hot application) Black and Blue as well as thermostat RTV (gray)

PB Blaster...can't say enough about this stuff

DEEP SOCKET SET....as far as i remember, i only needed this twice....both times for the exhaust manifold-to-downpipe connection

Oh yeah...a true breaker bar...1/2'' drive bar.

all in all this repair probably cost about $400 or so....parts alone were somewhere just over $300...so with tools and odds and ends added in it cost me more.
Just to make sure no engine houst was used for any of the repair? I get to do same thing with my '92!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
92 Toy thanks very much for the info and photos. I'm about to replace the timing chain, water pump and oil pump on my 93 4x4 Toy. not sure if I'm going to do the cylinder head and head gasket as coolant isn't leaking but may take out the oil pan to clean it out.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Awesome job. All very good info.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
well kids....here we go. don't really want to start a new thread because I want to realistically present the idea the nothing lasts forever.

I really took no shortcuts when I did my build, cuz it took 8 or 10 months of screwing around to make this happen.

but....it turned to crap. I started losing coolant a while ago and despite torquing the head bolts down an additional amount (can't recall because it was a long time ago) I continue to lose coolant. confident as I am that it has nothing to do with a timing chain guide failure is just how confident i am that i have a ruined headgasket or head.

my full intention right now is to pull the motor and rebuild this thing on a stand as it was infinitely difficult to do with it in the truck.

this is uncharted territory for me, but I am looking forward to learning as this is a different but similar animal to Joe's 3.0.

at this point, I have no pics. but my truck has spent the last 5 months or so outside my garage parked in the grass. I was able to start it up and take it for a quick ride and pull it into the 3rd bay and pop the hood. that's as far as I am today.

I am looking to have the block cleaned and crank serviced and likely get new pistons and boring out to .30 over has been recommended. I am intending on getting a new head and cam too as well as a header. I want to enjoy this truck for many years to come, so this time will be done right.

and just like last time, don't be in a hurry to see updates. this will be a slow meticulous process for me as I currently work 2 jobs.

Hey Jerry checking in to see how your Truck and Joe's 4 Runner are doing? I've been away for a long time...came back and only found a few remaining active posters from when you started your original thread. Hope you're doing great and had a Merry Christmas!

How about a build up thread for the '98 Limited 4Runner
Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 PM

excellent job on the top end rebuild but if it was me and I found all that stuff in the oil pan, I would've gone ahead and done the whole damn thing. Better to do it right the first time than spend more money later and fix it all over agian. but thats me and how I would have gone about it.

I would have gone ahead and taken the head to a machine shope also rather than clean all that up myself and would have gotten the head shaved also just for safety sake. Other than that well done.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by bcole4
do you think i should have it pressure checked while i already have it at the shop getting shaven or no big deal? Thank you!

Better safe than sorry dude
Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 PM

well kids....here we go. don't really want to start a new thread because I want to realistically present the idea the nothing lasts forever.

I really took no shortcuts when I did my build, cuz it took 8 or 10 months of screwing around to make this happen.

but....it turned to crap. I started losing coolant a while ago and despite torquing the head bolts down an additional amount (can't recall because it was a long time ago) I continue to lose coolant. confident as I am that it has nothing to do with a timing chain guide failure is just how confident i am that i have a ruined headgasket or head.

my full intention right now is to pull the motor and rebuild this thing on a stand as it was infinitely difficult to do with it in the truck.

this is uncharted territory for me, but I am looking forward to learning as this is a different but similar animal to Joe's 3.0.

at this point, I have no pics. but my truck has spent the last 5 months or so outside my garage parked in the grass. I was able to start it up and take it for a quick ride and pull it into the 3rd bay and pop the hood. that's as far as I am today.

I am looking to have the block cleaned and crank serviced and likely get new pistons and boring out to .30 over has been recommended. I am intending on getting a new head and cam too as well as a header. I want to enjoy this truck for many years to come, so this time will be done right.

and just like last time, don't be in a hurry to see updates. this will be a slow meticulous process for me as I currently work 2 jobs.
Your gonna do it yourself then I would get a dvd to research about 10 times before tearing into it. I found one Ebay for about 15$ I think but he didn't totally rebuid it either so I suggest that from the start, then try to find a better rebuild dvd or a book on it after getting that DVD. I watched the day I got it and begfore I strt doing anything I'll probably watch it 10 more times then start tearing it down and again before I get the parts.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 PM

Thank you for the information,, a real help,, I am the guy with a new Dolphin built in 1987, it left me stranded at Bell 2 in british columba, ,, was towed to Trace B.C. what a trip... never got to alaska,, my Dolphin only has 82K for miles,, Thank you I may try my luck in fixing, it has a water leak in back if head,, no oil , or oil in water issues,, has computer problems the 89661-35040 was replaced with a 89661-35110, I had to put up with a check engin ight.. dealer at Trace BC. figured that out,, I drove home to Sisters oregon with that one ,, leaking head and all. thanks all.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Are pics broken for everyone else?

It appears that Photobucket had a change of their "terms of service" and pics are no longer allowed to be hosted on 3rd party sites (blogs/forums/bulletin boards) unless the poster pays $399/year for hosting.

Well - that sucks.

Last edited by MattyB4x4; 07-18-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well then...there goes a tone of great info...
Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Well then...there goes a tone of great info...
Yup - lots of threads destroyed.

The Photobucket social media pages are an absolute ˟˟˟˟˟ show right now.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Anyone know what the rubber piece is called that goes on the transmission behind the oil pan? Picture #153

Last edited by 22marv; 02-15-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm not familiar with a picture numbering system that would allow me to find "Picture #153." The file names of the pictures are assigned by whatever hosting service the poster is using, so they wouldn't even be in order, and even if they were ....

But maybe you've learned some aspect of YotaTech that I've never heard of. You know, "old dogs, new tricks, ..."

Or you could make it easy on everyone, by hitting the "Quote" button.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:35 AM

Sorry, I’m new at this. I’m referring to picture #142/143 on this particular thread. When I click on a picture they are numbered. It’s actually picture 142/143.

Last edited by 22marv; 02-16-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:53 AM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BEGINNER'S 22re Timing Chain Failure / replacement / head gasket replacement