YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Bed mat or liner that will not scratch paint? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/bed-mat-liner-will-not-scratch-paint-213009/)

1989ToyotaTruck 05-30-2010 06:14 PM

Bed mat or liner that will not scratch paint?

I'm putting the finishing touches on the restoration of my '89 Pickup which I've had, well, since 1989!

I'd like to put some kind of protector in the bed (either a mat or liner) but want something that won't scratch the new paint. Not going to be doing any heavy hauling or anything, but I need something for the occasional grocery run etc. :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

streetlancer 05-30-2010 06:26 PM

Rhino-liner?
Plastic bed-liners?

Jay351 05-30-2010 07:54 PM

I got a factory mat out of a tacoma. Best $40 ive ever spent :D

JollyGreen 05-30-2010 08:27 PM

The rubber mats work great.

Jay351 05-30-2010 09:34 PM

They do! They work even better if you got a spray in liner

kenbo53 05-30-2010 10:38 PM

ive never seen a drop in plastic liner that didnt scratch the paint underneath it. They get dirt and what not trapped in there and itll eventually wear through the paint unless you take it out and clean everything all the time. id just go with a rubber mat if your not going to be hauling much, its alot easier on the paint and alot easier to take out and clean.

Lysmachia 05-30-2010 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by kenbo53 (Post 51462110)
ive never seen a drop in plastic liner that didnt scratch the paint underneath it. They get dirt and what not trapped in there and itll eventually wear through the paint unless you take it out and clean everything all the time. id just go with a rubber mat if your not going to be hauling much, its alot easier on the paint and alot easier to take out and clean.

X2... spray on liner is nice but spendy and it DOES fade, even the best UV protected stuff. Sounds like a Rubber mat is the way to go for you!

highonpottery 06-01-2010 01:02 PM

rubber horse mat would be my choice over the stock rubber mats since they're heavier and would add a good amt of weight in the bed for wet weather. btw, i've got the factory plastic bedliner and took it off last season to hose out all the compost that fell through the tie-down access holes - my paint still looks pretty good and there isn't much wear in the paint at all. most noticeable spots are on the high points of the corrugated bed and that's it. you'd think there would be wear along the bedrail, but not on mine. you could always install a plastic bed liner with some sort of material between the two to save the paint, like that pad that goes under Pergo/laminate flooring.

1989ToyotaTruck 06-02-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery (Post 51463178)
rubber horse mat would be my choice over the stock rubber mats since they're heavier and would add a good amt of weight in the bed for wet weather....

Thanks--would never have thought to look at a stall mat, but just looking online I can already see a wide variety of interesting styles to chose from.

Thanks!

highonpottery 06-03-2010 07:13 AM

yep. got that idea once from a friend who lived up in Oregon. said they used those in the back of pickups to add some weight as opposed to sandbags and it would protect your bed at the same time since they're so friggin' heavy duty.