YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Bed lining the roof (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/bed-lining-roof-162865/)

RoBatt 12-29-2008 12:51 PM

Bed lining the roof

I got the idea of bedlining the roof of my 4runner so i wouldnt have to worry about taking care of the paint as i haven't washed/waxed it in about 2 years or so since i got my surco rack on it so it is a PITA to take care of. I dont really know what to think about it on how it would look though and i doubt anyone else has done it...

What do you guys think?

Slowstrike 12-29-2008 01:04 PM

if your gonna do the roof do the whole truck seriously you wont have to worry about scratching the paint ever again.

corax 12-29-2008 01:06 PM

might raise the inside temps a bit (unless you get white bedliner). you'll have to remove the rack to get it coated anyway, so why not just put a thick coat of wax on it?

if you do, make sure you use the UV top coat or it'll end up looking like hell in no time

RoBatt 12-29-2008 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Slowstrike (Post 51013254)
if your gonna do the roof do the whole truck seriously you wont have to worry about scratching the paint ever again.

haha no i really dont like the idea of lining the whole thing but i see where you are coming from

Originally Posted by corax (Post 51013257)
might raise the inside temps a bit (unless you get white bedliner). you'll have to remove the rack to get it coated anyway, so why not just put a thick coat of wax on it?

if you do, make sure you use the UV top coat or it'll end up looking like hell in no time

i didnt know they made white bedliner... wow might look into tha
how long would the UV wax stay on there till i owuld have to put another coat on

lonewolve 12-29-2008 04:18 PM

Like this idea

Local shop puts that rhino lning on the underbody and frame as well as well as quaters and body now he has no more rust issues and thats been two years now.

Rick

flashkl 12-29-2008 04:33 PM

Gotta be careful with rhinolining everything though...if you don't do a good thorough job cleaning things up, rust can start inside the coating and you won't know until its only the lining holding your truck together

algranger 12-29-2008 04:44 PM

if your worried about the appearance of yer roof just lift the truck so nobody sees it :hillbill:
seriously tho nobody sees the roof i wouldnt worry about it the bedliner is a waste of time imo

dbcx 12-29-2008 04:45 PM

You can get it any color now. The UV protection might last longer in white.
Maybe see if they can spray it a bit thinner just on the top and white.

flashkl 12-29-2008 04:50 PM

Now that I think about it, bedliner weighs a ton. You wanna get weight as low as possible for stability so I don't think it's such a great idea. Algranger has it right: it's just the roof, who cares??

RoBatt 12-29-2008 09:06 PM

yeah i guess you guys are right it is kinda ridiculous but just doing a little brain storming haha

4runnermt 12-29-2008 09:13 PM

I herculined my entire old '84 truck. It looked great for about a year, then the sun faded it and made it flat. Then I sold it to a super hot chick that drove the crap out of it and the last time I saw it it looked like a burnt marshmallow!:D

RoBatt 12-29-2008 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnermt (Post 51013787)
I herculined my entire old '84 truck. It looked great for about a year, then the sun faded it and made it flat. Then I sold it to a super hot chick that drove the crap out of it and the last time I saw it it looked like a burnt marshmallow!:D

hahahah wow

you got any pics of it im curious to see what it looked like but im not oging to go that route

4runnermt 12-29-2008 09:30 PM

I wish I did, but when I bought my house six years ago, I seemed to misplace all of my old pics, and never found them.:(

RoBatt 12-30-2008 07:27 AM

Ahh that sucks

fugasm 12-30-2008 07:35 AM

I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 89. The cab is all faded and i already did the fiberglass top. I have been hoping to see pics from someone who has already done it.

ovrrdrive 12-30-2008 03:58 PM

I've seen a few trucks with Herculiner on them that looked really good. Not only does it not scratch or chip, if it did it would be easy to repair. It repels scratches and even minor dents. It's awesome.

Tubbyfatty 12-30-2008 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by corax (Post 51013257)
, so why not just put a thick coat of wax on it?

Wax eats clear coat.