Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

bearings, cv, & axles...Where should i buy these??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bearings, cv, & axles...Where should i buy these??

i have an 230kmi 86Runner, 22re auto. i started pulling my front wheel bearing today. I got as far as the hub nut (54mm which i dont have), before peeling myself from the frozen ground.
I need suggestions on what i should replace on this thing. I want to replace the wheel bearings & cv boots, but not sure what common practice is. Should the cv's be replaced too? Do they have the same life expectancy as the bearings?
As for the drive shaft, it is sloppy at the trans & at the rear, but axle u's are tight. i'm not too sure what is in there yet. Hoping to avoid a complete rebuild.

Who is a good and cheap supplier for these parts:
front- wheel bearings, cv's & axle.
drive shaft- bearings at both ends
Ive never been a fan of dealers.

thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Just buy whole cv axles... Also, if your bearings aren't discolored, pitted, or mutated in anyway, they should be fine. You can buy Timken brand bearings (cone, cup, and inner seal) at Autozone. Not sure about the driveshaft... sorry bud. Don't buy axles from Kragen/Schucks/Checker... they banged up my axle seals and stuff...
Old 02-27-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing, 20 years must be...

SR5_Sean, I just finished the very job you are beginning last week. Amazing, 20 years must be how long it takes to wear out a Toyota front end (If you use it as a DD). Anyway, here are some things that I learned...
1. 54mm sockets are sold at Sears
2. Long 1/2" socket wrench also sold at Sears
3. In order to replace the old axles you have to: a. disconnect the front sway bar; b. disconnect the lower shock nut/bolt; c. disconnect the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle using a big hammer; d. push down on the lower control arm with your foot, your preference, while pulling on the axle. Once all this is done the axle should just fall to the ground.

I bought most of my parts at Autozone because they are cheap, but now I'm wondering how long it takes to wear out Autozone bearings and axles.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:15 PM

Question

thanks for the input guys.
Ive had this thing for 1-1/2 yrs & havent touched anything mechanical until today. replaced tgate, little body fill, greese & a helluva lot of electrical troubleshooting.

<AARON W> When you say: ("c. disconnect the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle using a big hammer;") I take it that they are REALLY FRICK'N HARD to remove.
I'm still uncertain if what my problem is yet anyway (ball joint or bearing). Probably a ball joint, from what i have read, but logic to me was to start w/the bearing. seems easy enough & not worry about allignment. (slop @ 12-6 tight 9-3)

i believe that i would need a chilton manual before attacking the axle. certainly the axles would have been replaced w/in 230k mi right? would newer model stock axles be better/cheaper?
Does anyone know what Toyo models/years are compatable w/a 86 IFS auto?

As far as Autozones parts go, i would hope to get another 100k, i probably wont get that out of the frame/body/trans as it is.
I would like to fix it easy & quick and get it on the road, plan & order ahead for the other parts to be replaced in the spring. maybe start on a complete restoration
Old 02-28-2006, 05:34 AM

Ball Joints

SR5_Sean, the ball joints are not bad to replace. You could use a ball joint spacer that you could get on loan from Autozone to pop the ball joint from the lower control arm or just use the hammer...I'll get some pictures up for you today.

I never replaced front axles, or front bearings before so I did need some guidance from a few mechanics who had, but from using the "Search" option on this forum I gained a lot of knowledge before I started. If you've never done a job like this before I would: do a search on the forum here to find out what you can expect; I'll post some pictures for you; plan for the job to take all weekend (and if you get done sooner great); find someone who has some experience to help; and like you said, "order ahead for the other parts to be replaced in the spring."

I'll post the pics later today. I would guess any axles from 86-89 would work, but am not certain. Peace.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:28 AM

righton
Old 03-01-2006, 03:15 AM

The pics I promised

SR5_Sean, here are a couple of pictures that I promised. This is a picture of the steering knuckle with the axle still in the truck http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...msTruck043.jpg

Here are a few tools that I had to buy to finish the job: http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...msTruck058.jpg
Pictured from left to right are a long pry bar (to get the axle away from where it was bolted to the transfer case); a long 1/2" socket extension (to reach the six nuts that were holding the axle to the transfer case mounting plate); and a ball joint spacer (you put it between the boot and steering knuckle and hit the end to separate the ball joint from the knuckle). If I had it to do over I would not have bought a ball joint spacer because you can usually get them on loan from Autozone.

Another tip, I had to use a couple of jacks and jack stands to do the job. I had the truck up on two stands that I placed on the "cross frame" (don't know what to call it), which was a good spot. But then I had to move them to the lower control arm so I could unbolt the bottom bolts that held the shocks to the control arm and the torsion bar/ or sway bar bolts. After the shocks and sway/torsion (don't know which) bar were unbolted, I then put the jack stands back under the "cross frame." I needed to do this so I could push down on the control arms with my foot so the axle could be pulled out. I needed the help of a friend who had done the job before to share this practical tip with me. It had me stumped for a few days and I was seriously considering having someone else finish the job.

If anyone would like to clarify the parts I'm "referring" to please do. I hope this helps SR5_Sean, and keep me posted. Peace.

Last edited by AaronW; 03-01-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:42 AM

Question

thanks aaron, i really appreciate your help!

the links were both the same of the tools, but thats ok. i dont think i need the photos unless it was progression shots.
i believe that my prob is isolated to the outer wheel bearing & i caught it before catastrophy. the inner seemed new. "koyo's" stock toyota?

i definately plan on ball joint replacement in the spring though on both sides.
havn't thought too much about the drive axle much in the past few days.

what can i expect to pay for the bj spacer?

anyone hear of erie bearing?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

if you buy the CVs from autozone, they have a lifetime warranty so if they ever break, just bring it back and they'll replace it. They're pretty cheap too