YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   battery light comes off and on (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/battery-light-comes-off-234113/)

ford97 04-24-2011 09:24 AM

battery light comes off and on

got a 89 toyota with the 22re, i just noticed yesterday that my battery and brake light keep coming on. I researched and found out that this indicates that the battery is not charging most likely due to a bad alternator, but the truck starts like normal and everything works like normal and sometimes it doesnt come on at all, and sometimes it will come on when first started and when you hit the gas it will go away then come back on, and sometimes it will stay off after mashing the gas, other times it just stays on. lol. i cleaned my battery terminals and had no luck fixing it. is there anything else i can do?

ford97 04-24-2011 09:25 AM

happy easter!!

stctech74 04-24-2011 10:08 AM

check the 3 wire plug at back of alternator wires get bare & the plug terminals get worn

wyoming9 04-24-2011 11:22 AM

Sounds like you have a loose belt maybe.

I would also look at your grounds something is loose some place!!

It seems the battery is able to charge those times when the light is off

ford97 04-24-2011 12:09 PM

the belt was tight and all connections looked good. i checked the alternator and it seems its not charging the battery very good, i think its going bad, i already pulled it so im just gonna replace it and go from there. im pretty sure its the alternator though. thanks for the suggestions.

ford97 04-24-2011 02:08 PM

well i got the alternator checked at autozone and it passed twice. maybe i should just put it back on and double check that the belt is tight and all connections are in good shape. what would you guys do? how good is the alternator machine at auto zone?

andrewflores17 04-24-2011 04:05 PM

just gona start off and say yes i know this isnt a silverado 1990

had the same thing on my old silverado what happend is that the battery wasnt properly gorunded so it would cause the light to blink on and off all time just added some xtra ground wire check that out could help anyway my 2 cents

Bad_Bowtie_ssz71 04-24-2011 04:12 PM

Put a multi-meter on it and see what kinda volts you are getting while its running. My 84 flashes intermitantly but always shows its putten out 14.3-14.6.Which is what you want. I can hit brakes, put it in reverse or turn on the heater fan and charge/brake lights go out. Thinck mine is just a ground problem. Sounds like yours probaly is as well or a bad connection.

spokane.yota.man 04-25-2011 04:57 AM

Make sure you don't have an adapter between the alt and harness. It's a little brown plug thing that rebuilders sometimes use to cover cracked plug housings. I had one of those cause me the flashing light problems. Check the whole alt harness too, its right by the ex. Manifold so could be damaged.

GreyBeard2 04-28-2011 03:20 PM

I recently had this very problem in my '87 4Runner with 22RE. Turned out to be the alternator brushes. It checked good on the tester several times, but the brushes were just about at their limit. Cost $5 for brushes.

ford97 04-28-2011 07:26 PM

yea i changed my alternator and it fixed the problem!!!! now when i was putting it in i somehow knocked a hole in my radiator!!!! I could probrobly fix it but it already has a few other little leaks and i think im just gonna replace it. what kind of radiator do i need that is reasonably priced? advanced has a one row radiator that will work for $80. will one row cut it in this hot georgia weather?

anthony1 04-28-2011 09:28 PM

Get a 3 row radiator. You can even wheel with AC on....:)