Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PAhydrohead
Cebby,

Do you happen to have a pickle fork I can use to replace the steering dampener?
Yep. Either that or my tie rod puller should work. I'm probably not heading downtown until the end of the week since I've come down with a nasty case of "walking pneumonia" (I love when my kids bring this crap home). All 5 of us have it. The Robitussin with Codeine helps though...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cebby
Yep. Either that or my tie rod puller should work. I'm probably not heading downtown until the end of the week since I've come down with a nasty case of "walking pneumonia" (I love when my kids bring this crap home). All 5 of us have it. The Robitussin with Codeine helps though...
I know how you feel. I had to visit a jobsite in MD yesterday and I either caught my youngest son's stomach flu that he had this weekend or I got a bad Angus beef burger from Hardee's in Breezewood. Regardless, felt like I might the whole way home.

I'm working a half day on Friday (wife is going out of town on business). After I drop off Bryce at school, I'm free until 3pm. Maybe I can meet you somewhere and pick up the tools and a set of the Cruiser coils. If you still don't feel good, I'll have plenty of time to swing by your house.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:13 AM

I should be OK by Friday since my medicine will almost be gone. I think I'd rather have what I have than the flu/food poisoning. I feel for ya.

Re: the tools - I'll lend you my air hammer too. It will make quick work of the stabilzer stud in the centerlink.

On a positive note, I'm prototyping the normal shock conversion mounts (pin to eye) for the rear shocks and will have these produced if there is enough interest. The ones I've seen online look kind of flimsy, so mine will be made from 1/4" plate.

I have another idea for mounting eye/eye shocks in the rear, but need to do some more calculations. These will require some modification to the existing mount location, but you will not give up any of the droop/compression that a normal shock conversion bracket would make you give up due to the bracket dimension.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Post some pictures of the all the work you have done. I really want to see the runner with the ARB on it. Hope you both feel better.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by strap22
I really want to see the runner with the ARB on it.
Me too! Its going on this weekend.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:06 AM

Bill - my availability has changed for this weekend. I'm shuttling brother in laws and cousins from the airport most of Saturday and heading to the game on Sunday.

I can meet you somewhere in between here and there with the coils (I'll bring all 4 so we can sort it out) and tools after 12:30 or so. Call me and we can setup a meeting place.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Bill - my availability has changed for this weekend. I'm shuttling brother in laws and cousins from the airport most of Saturday and heading to the game on Sunday.

I can meet you somewhere in between here and there with the coils (I'll bring all 4 so we can sort it out) and tools after 12:30 or so. Call me and we can setup a meeting place.
You get to go to the game!!!! Why you lucky

Have fun! I'll be watching at home in my nice WARM living room with a toasty fire crackling in the fire place. Oh yea, stay on topic, are we planning this exchange of Cruiser coils/tools today or saturday? I can do either. Ahh that also reminds me I have to take home an air compressor.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:11 AM

Actually, I can do either today or tomorrow. Tomorrow is probably easier for me though. My first trip to the airport is a 2pm Sat. arrival. I could swing by on my way out there around noon or so.

If there is anything else you need, let me know before tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Well I was planning on doing some nice mods this weekend (install Aisin Hubs, ARB winch bumper, etc.) but when I pulled the passenger side front wheel to put on the hub a got an unpleasant surprise..grease everywhere!!! The CV boot closest to the diff had torn and made a nice mess. One week too late on the Aisin install as I had the front end apart last weekend to install the Aisins when I found out I had bought the wrong hubs.

I got the correct hubs and the Aisins are on but now I need to fix the CV boot. Dealer wants $225 to repair. Anybody do it themself? Reading the shop manual, it doesn't look all that difficult.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Here is a question about installing the Cruiser Coils.

I'm getting to do this install but I'm wondering if I need to add an extended brake line right away if I'm not planning to 4wheel it till spring.

Cebby do you already have a longer brake line for your truck that you can measure for me?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:30 AM

I have one but it isn't on yet. I got it from Marlin.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake.html. The site says they are 26" long, but I'll measure in a little while.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Cool,

Well Heinz finally cracked, the smile is gone. Somebody give the guy a hug!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Mike,

I'm going to try and install the Cruiser coils tonight so if you get a chance could you measure your extended brake line.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Crap - I forgot to the other day. I'll go measure now.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:58 PM

OK. The line is 26" exactly. Overall, end to end is about 27" but that includes the threaded part of the unions. I don't know what the overall length of the existing one is. Bill can you measure it while you are under there?

A tip on the spring compressors: When I was installing the spacer lift on my JGC, I read somewhere to think of the spring compressors as sping holders. Basically, I stuffed the axle with my floor jack, inserted the compressors to hold the compressed coil, then dropped the axle down. Spring then falls out. I did one side at a time. (Gotta unbolt the swaybar and bottom of the shock).

To compress the Cruiser coils, be careful to get the compressors 180 degrees away from each other on the spring. I used the impact wrench to crank them down (worked like a charm). I did this just messing around with the JGC coils before I knew what I was doing to see how they worked.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

OK. The line is 26" exactly. Overall, end to end is about 27" but that includes the threaded part of the unions.
Mike is your line blue with the optional mounting tab on one end? I'm looking at the Marlin website about to order an extended brake line and was confirming if you bought a red or blue one.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:22 AM

You should buy red. I have blue. They are the same except for the color.

My brake guys said they couldn't make it work which is BS. They didn't want to mess with it I think. I did not get any extra brackets (I actually ordered the 3 line set for when I do the swap)

If you want to see it prior to ordering, let me know and I'll throw it in the rig. How'd the coils go?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

You should buy red. I have blue. They are the same except for the color.

My brake guys said they couldn't make it work which is BS. They didn't want to mess with it I think. I did not get any extra brackets (I actually ordered the 3 line set for when I do the swap)

If you want to see it prior to ordering, let me know and I'll throw it in the rig. How'd the coils go?
I had to abandon the coil install in midstream because of the brake line. The stocker is too short! I couldn't fully release the tension on the cruiser coils because they strech out the line to much for my comfort. If you want to part with one of the lines, l'll take one and get you a RED replacement from Marlin
Old 01-31-2005, 03:31 PM

I only have one for the rear (the other two are for the front). Order up a replacement - IN BLUE and I'll get this one to you. I'll be downtown tomorrow likely.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

I ordered up a RED line from Marlin with the optional bracket incase I needed it for when I remove the LSPV. Well I went under to install it the other day and it is kindof too long. If I put it on, it was going to rub on some things and I wasnt sure if that was ok or not so I think I will put it on with my LC coils....

So what are the rear shocks to use with the LC coils?

Thanks

Quick Reply: The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread