Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bad t-case bearing on the rear out put shaft on in side the t-case

Old 09-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad t-case bearing on the rear out put shaft on in side the t-case

Hi I have a 95 4runner 4x4 SR5 V-6 automatic (A340H)
I have had a bad grinding/vibration sense I first purchased this car and I thought it was the rear D shaft u-joints but... BOY WAS I WRONG!
I did discover that the rear output shaft companion flange nut was loose thanks to some post I have read....I got a new nut and torqued to specs re staked and I still have the grinding vibration...after replacing some rolling parts I thought I would get a professional opinions from 2 local shops but they just scratched their heads....so I started replacing more rolling parts and I'm still chasing this problem I have replaced these items...front wheel bearings and races inner/outer, front center link, front shocks, front rotors and pads, all the tune up normal stuff ect, checked front chunk fluid and it's full,replaced the rear D shaft u-joints and the D shaft is in phase and the factory weights are still on the shaft, replaced the rear breaks drums, checked the rear bearings and seem fine,I just replace the 3rd member this past Saturday because some one said that the problem sounds like a 3rd member carrier bearing but they were wrong I wasted money on the 3rd I had to purchase and it took me all day to do the job and I still have the grinding/vibration, replaced rear shocks and I have new tires front and rear with the proper balancing...I have replaced the front drivers side cv assembly because of a bad boot that had water in it and sludge,
Now I know that my original thought before all the parts replacing and the head scratching I thought maybe it's the rear t-case output shaft bearing because the nut was loose and the guy I purchased it from may have drove her a long time not knowing the nut was loose.I know that I feel the grinding/vibration is felt under my drivers seat and center console and surrounding areas...I did try something just for a located I had a spray bottle with just water in it and sprayed around the rear of the t-case and the companion flange and the u-joint there and the water just sizzled off and it's really hott, also I sprayed the D shaft from the t-case down to to the 3rd D shaft u-joint and the water just sizzled but the water did not sizzle on the rear 3rd housing or the area of the t-case forward of the rear output shaft bearing area....now I think there is a problem with those parts getting to hott! I can spray water around my front wheel bearing areas and other high friction areas without any sizzling at all I can put my hand on them for some time but the areas described that sizzled when sprayed I can only touch them with just a finger have to remove my finger quickly or I'll get burned..

Now I know water boils at 212 degrees i think but I think these parts are hotter than that

I would like any input on what maybe going on with this 4runner and I'm sorry for the long post but I'm tired of chasing this issue so if any one has any advice please let me know for I'm loosing faith in my ability to trouble shoot this issue
thanks for any help
Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 07-05-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 PM

What a headache... Sounds like we've got similar problems minus the hot driveline. My companion flange bolt was loose from a previous owner as well... tightened it... still have vibration/noise (lessened after tightening). I'm guessing its the output shaft bearing I just havent gotten around to testing the theory. Good luck... update what you discover.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
How is the fluid level in the Transfer case (did not see where that had been checked)? Low fluid /no fluid could account for the part getting hot and the friction is transfering the heat to the output shaft and driveshaft. But with the noise it sounds like you are in need of a TC rebuild, but you could take you chances on buying a used one, they go for $100-200'ish.

I hate chasing gremlins and please realize these are just my online theories
Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 AM

oops sorry..... I did drain the fluid in the t-case just to see if there was any metal shavings on the magnet drain plug but all that was there was just gear dust no shavings.I filled the t-case with dextron ATF per the manual the automatic calls for the t-case be tranny fluid aslo. thanks for the advice...

Last edited by buckz6319; 09-10-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 AM

I have forgot to mention another thing...the new drive shaft u-joint at the companion t-case flange keeps throwing out the grease all over the tranny tunnel above because of the heat generated there I know this couldn't be normal? now the rear Drive shaft u-joint it's new also is holding the grease as far as I can tell but that u-joint gets hott..thanks for the comment
Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 AM

If I have to replace the T-Case on this A340H automatic can it be replaced without dropping the tranny or can the T-Case be worked on without removing the tranny....this is a chain drive with a split case system O can see the seams and the bolts that hold the tc to the tranny any advice on this issue or links on how to do it.....thanks