Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

bad oil pressure+hydraulic tensioner=broken guides

Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad oil pressure+hydraulic tensioner=broken guides

basically what the title says. i replaced all the timing kit about a year ago and it has always sounded a little bit like rattling in there, and just recently it got much worse so i pulled the valve cover looked down in and sure enough broken guides laying inside (partially my fault for using the plastic ones).

on a side note, when i bought the truck the guy told me the oil light sometimes comes on bcuz the pressure gauge sending unit was bad, he gave me another but i never installed it, never really cared.
so now i've come to the conclusion he was a dick and just wanted to get the truck off his hands.

anyways, when the truck is running at idle the light is barely visible to off completely, give it a lil gas and it comes on fully, but when im driving down the road or revving at higher rpm's it is off. Is my oil pump bad too? i have one ordered but at 75 bucks i am kind of reluctant to go pick it up from the parts store. so i want to know if those really go bad. i have it pulled off and everything seems okay, no excesssive wear on any of the gears/case. one thing though i wonder about on those is that little arrow on the pump gears...do u have to line those up a certain way when installing?
Now, im also going to pull the pan to check for broken material and i want to take a look at the oil pick up tube. Could that plug up in a way to effect pressure at low rpm, but still work at higher rpm?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
If it was rattling right after replacement, the tensioner was either bad or when you installed the oil pump bolts you used the wront bolt in the hole thats by the tensioner and it pinched the tensioner open. You could always get a mechanical gauge to test your oil pressure? Yes a clogged sump can block or restrict your oil pressure.

Last edited by vital22re; 07-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 PM

well i had bought the wrong timing chain kit in the first place, i ended up figuring out it is a pre 85 engine in the truck and the timing chain is longer so i have another tensioner im putting in there. as far as the oil pump bolts go, there are two short ones on the bottom corners that thread into the tc cover, two long ones in the top corners that pass through and thread into the block and one slightly longer than the bottom bolts right underneath the piece that sticks out over the pulley for timing. i'll have to pull the timing cover next slowly and check those long bolts but i dont understand what u mean by pinching it open. can u elaborate?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 PM

well i pulled out the haynes manual and check clearances, the driven gear to pump body clearance is at the service limit, but the driven gear to crescent and drive gear to crescent were both within spec. the book says though if any clearance is out to replace the pump. also it says the relief valve should move freely when u pull the cap and spring out and when i did the valve stayed in there, i didnt think that would cause low pressure but either way i suppose thats bad.
throwin the new pump on in the morning, i'll see how she runs then
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

If you have the wrong chain it is going to rattle.

Because it is to long.

You have to love these engines the fact the chain has not jumped time is impressive.

Don`t forget to prime your new pump.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 PM

well i finally got it all fixed up today. looking at the tensioners i found my problem. on the bad tensioner there was check ball type plug "sealing" a casting hole, when i pressed in on the tensioner i can see bubbles coming out of that hole, thats where i was losing my pressure at idle.
on the new tensioner (2nd pic) there is a screw sealing that casting hole that actually seals. i ended up with the two different ones because i originally bought the kit for an '87 22r then found out i had an '84 block so the bad tensioner came with that older kit.
Attached Thumbnails bad oil pressure+hydraulic tensioner=broken guides-old-tensioner.jpg   bad oil pressure+hydraulic tensioner=broken guides-new-tensioner.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and don't feel bad about $75 oil pump...mine was $200. Although it did bump up my pressure so it was worth every penny.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 AM

Eventually, a defective oil pump could poorly damage the engines of some brand new car just as the case of BMW. The German automaker BMW AG has frozen the sales and shipping of its 2013 M5 and M6 designs. A recall is coming, because of a defective motor oil pump that could poorly damage the motor. In addition, if you are in the market to purchase or sell a new or used auto get the ideal Ford at Gus Johnson Ford. You can check out this site here for more info: Click here!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you say dumbass?