Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Auto to manual trans swap info needed

Old 09-16-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto to manual trans swap info needed

I am swapping my ultra sluggish a340H auto with a f151 manual in my 93 4runner and need information on the best way to wire the tranny. I have available the ECM for both auto and manual, but I need to know what has to be changed. Maybe a guide someone has made. My eye site is not real good so schematic are easy to get wrong.
I know some of it is simple like the VSS, position sensors, reverse light, and brake switch. Just need better info! Can't take the a340 anymore, it's sluggish on the street and real bad when going up hills.
Oh, by the way. I have found a company that makes a high performance bullet proof 3.0 that has more power than the 3.4 for $1995.00 if anyone is interested?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:03 AM

I can't believe no one knows anything about this.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am more familiar with the 22 motor. I helped a guy do an auto to manual swap. He used the auto ECM and did a ground wire jumper to make the computer think the truck was always in neutral on a 22. I would suggest staying with the auto ECM.

The automatic transmission in both the 22 and 3.0 is very weak in these trucks. A manual behind the 3.0 makes a huge difference.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I don`t really know what you can`t figure out.

You don`t have OBII so the wiring is simple unless your doing a 3.4 swap

Jump the neutral safety

Connect the back up lights

Figure out the signal for the ADD system Unless you have have manual hubs
Old 09-17-2017, 05:51 PM

Just trying to get a jump on it before I do it so I cut down on down time I want to be ready for anything I run into. Can't the natural safety switch be wired for a clutch safety switch? I have manual hubs but still have ADD Was thinking a dash mounted switch for the ADD.
Wouldn't it be better to use the manual ECM, or is it that much different? I haven't picked up the tranny yet so I don't know what sensors are on it.
I just hope this will give me some power. Throwing 30 to 40% of the little HP the engine has to a auto trans is just not working. Plus the auto trans runs way to hot for here in phoenix. I am running three trans coolers to keep temps down and one is in the ac duct.
Are there position sensors and gear sensors, or does the ECM not need that info?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have been thinking about this myself. I converted a 1989 4runner 22RE from automatic to manual about 10 years ago. Now I have another '89 4runner that I am preparing to convert. This one has the V6. The only thing I did as far as wiring goes, the first time around, was to place a jumper across the neutral safety switch plug in the wiring harness. In that case, the transmission wiring was part of the engine harness. If you really wanted to do a factory perfect swap you would probably have to change the engine bay harness as well as the ECU. I have not even begun to look into the question of whether the chassis harness would have to be replaced as well. I did that once too, as part of converting my 1984 Xtra Cab from 22R carbureted to 22RE EFI. I basically replaced every wire in the truck with the wires from the donor vehicle. When I convert my current '89 to manual, which I hope will be sometime this winter, I am not going to worry about getting it perfect because I am planning to swap engines sometime in the not too distant future as well. That said, when I converted the first 4runner to manual, I never bothered to wire up any backup lights and didn't miss them a bit

Last edited by wrenchtech; 09-17-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

There are lots of threads on this project have you read any??

Best place to get an idea .

When I do one of these swaps I bring the whole Donor vehicle home so many little things we tend to forget about

You do know you need a transfer case ?? Rear drive shaft .

The clutch and brake pedals

If you want to install a clutch safety switch you sure can but that is the first thing I remove.

If you want to put your ADD switch on your dash you can but the switch is in the transfer case easier to move just one lever less to go wrong.

One this era vehicle I have never changed ECU`s it is only with the OBII system where you can run into problems having the MIL on all the time

Swapping ECU`s you might need to do quite a lot of repinning of the plugs if they are even the same without sitting down and looking I really don`t know

Last edited by wyoming9; 09-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 AM

swap

Thanks that helps with the ECU thing. The doner is a 92 and mine is a 93. I am getting a factory wiring manual and will see how much different the ECU's are. As far as the threads on the subject I have searched all the forums and googled the subject and only came up with one article on a 91 swap and they were swapping a f150 crawler not the f151. It's like everything on the subject has been deleted.
As long as the item does not effect the engine then I can do with out it. All I want to work is the speedometer, the dash 4wd light, reverse lights. I would also like the 4wd to engage in reverse, so I was thinking of a dash switch to engage the front axel full time when in 4wd.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 AM

engine trans swap

Originally Posted by wrenchtech
I have been thinking about this myself. I converted a 1989 4runner 22RE from automatic to manual about 10 years ago. Now I have another '89 4runner that I am preparing to convert. This one has the V6. The only thing I did as far as wiring goes, the first time around, was to place a jumper across the neutral safety switch plug in the wiring harness. In that case, the transmission wiring was part of the engine harness. If you really wanted to do a factory perfect swap you would probably have to change the engine bay harness as well as the ECU. I have not even begun to look into the question of whether the chassis harness would have to be replaced as well. I did that once too, as part of converting my 1984 Xtra Cab from 22R carbureted to 22RE EFI. I basically replaced every wire in the truck with the wires from the donor vehicle. When I convert my current '89 to manual, which I hope will be sometime this winter, I am not going to worry about getting it perfect because I am planning to swap engines sometime in the not too distant future as well. That said, when I converted the first 4runner to manual, I never bothered to wire up any backup lights and didn't miss them a bit
If you are changing your engine also you should check out (Raptor Engines). I have been a engine builder for 40 years and this company builds engines exactly the way I build my race engines, but at half the cost. They have a 3.0 that will out perform the 3.4. The machine work alone cost me as much as their complete engine. Plus they are the only ones I know of that are putting in oversized valves and new High performance cams. This makes the 3.0 well worth keeping. They also have many other models they make all with a 7 year warrantee!.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is this who pplusent was talking about?

http://raptorengines.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=144
Old 09-18-2017, 02:07 PM

raptor

Yes, That is the site address. Lot's of different engines models are available and they are build the way I build them myself for HP applications, but for a lot less than I can. Nice builds! Hope that helps some engine swappers out there.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would like to hear from someone who has purchased and installed one of these high-performance 3VZE engines. And perhaps see some dyno results. It would be good to confirm the numbers and see where the power is made in the RPM range. That said, it's not too hard-to-find Lexus LS400 donor cars with 260 hp aluminum V8 engines for dirt cheap. I like the idea. No expensive superchargers, injector upgrades or other modifications needed. The engine is very under-stressed at that power level, which means that with proper care it can last a long, long time. And the power output seems like it would be a good match for the R series manual transmission.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 09-18-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM

Dyno

I would either call or email them and I am sure they can send you any info you need. They are very responsive too their customers. I will be purchasing one in a few mouths to replace the stock 3.0 I built for mine 16000 miles ago. I believe the bigger valves and the custom cams should increase airflow to the engine dramatically. I am also thinking of trying to develop a high flow mass air valve to eliminate the restrictive one the 3.0 comes with. If I can do it these motors should be able to produce even more power, but we will see, I don't have much of a budget.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:36 PM

V8

Originally Posted by wrenchtech
I would like to hear from someone who has purchased and installed one of these high-performance 3VZE engines. And perhaps see some dyno results. It would be good to confirm the numbers and see where the power is made in the RPM range. That said, it's not too hard-to-find Lexus LS400 donor cars with 260 hp aluminum V8 engines for dirt cheap. I like the idea. No expensive superchargers, injector upgrades or other modifications needed. The engine is very under-stressed at that power level, which means that with proper care it can last a long, long time. And the power output seems like it would be a good match for the R series manual transmission.
The v8 would be a tight fit and cooling may be an issue if your in a hot environment. With my stock v6 here in AZ there is occasionally an issue with slight over heating. The Toyota cooling system is marginally adequate for a six, but an 8 may have problems. If you really wanted to spend some money the optimal engine for the 4runner is the Hilux turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel from Toyota for the best climbing engine with good mileage. The one with the intercooler is the best. The drawback is the lack of available parts and dealing with emissions people due to it being a Japan designated engine. They call these motors JDM engines. Look on ebay for JDM Toyota engines. Just make sure the ECM and harness comes with them, or better yet buy the front clip with all the parts you need for the swap. The best part about these is they bolt right up in the 4runners and are high revving diesel engines. Just be sure the have the EPA certificate, I think it's called an IDI cert or something like that. It certifies the engine as smog legal. I did the research for AZ smog laws, but research it in the state your in every state is different, but all follow the EPA guidelines.
I hope this is useful to you!

Search this Thread